The Good, The Bad and The Ugly...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think the above song from the soundtrack to the film of the same name (which I love by-the-way) is one of the most brilliant arrangements I've ever heard; I love it. But, is it just me, or is the recording terrible? I am serious and open to the fact that I have an anti-ennio setup, but it makes my ears hurt to turn it up loud. I still do at least once a week though.

Ok discuss.

Yours Faithfully, Stereolad (+ Stella + Wine)

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Stereolad,

Classic piece of music. I have this but unfortunately it`s in the part of my collection which is currently inaccessible at the moment though I shall endevour to get hold of it and give it a good listen on my stereo.

Which format are you listening to it on? Also do you know the catalogue number and year of issue? Mono or stereo version? Do you have the same problem with other recordings?

By the way if you like Morricone then the soundtrack to `Once Upon A Time In The West` is well worth a listen.

A

Anonymous

I have the soundtrack on vinyl, it sounds good to me. A little dirty. Will clean it and check back on recording quality.

A

Anonymous

survivor:
Which format are you listening to it on? Also do you know the catalogue number and year of issue? Mono or stereo version? Do you have the same problem with other recordings?

It's a CD called Film Music by Ennio Morricone, it looks like a bargain bin special, year of issue 1993 and it's in stereo. I only have "the problem" with this recording. I'm guessing it might just just be the way it was recorded!

survivor:

By the way if you like Morricone then the soundtrack to `Once Upon A Time In The West` is well worth a listen.

This CD also has a couple from that soundtrack and I like!

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:I have the soundtrack on vinyl, it sounds good to me. A little dirty. Will clean it and check back on recording quality.

Ray, you're going to tell me to buy it on vinyl and attach a turntable to my wall aren't you?
emotion-16.gif

Seriously though it would be great to find a better sounding version of this.

A

Anonymous

The recording is dated but not that bad. I have it on CD and it sounds mighty fine to be honest. Perhaps your system isn't up to it.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
IMO, 'The Ecstasy of Gold' is far and away the best track on the soundtrack. My CD doesn't sound too bad, you've just gotta remember that the original recordings are over 40 years old now.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Is this the one?
CCF04102008_00000.jpg

If so it sounds ok on my system. Whilst saying that the tune does get a bit hectic at one point and I can imagine it sounding harsh at high volume on the wrong system. Hmmnn..

I have a few other recordings of this piece of music somewhere or other. One version I do own and have just had a listen to is the 1967 7" single version by Hugo Montenegro and his Orchestra which I believe reached the top of the charts back then. It`s in decent nick and sounds really good so yes, I recommend getting a turntable!

A

Anonymous

Rev:The recording is dated but not that bad. I have it on CD and it sounds mighty fine to be honest. Perhaps your system isn't up to it.

Tsk, unlikely!

A

Anonymous

survivor:

If so it sounds ok on my system. Whilst saying that the tune does get a bit hectic at one point and I can imagine it sounding harsh at high volume on the wrong system. Hmmnn..

No it's not that one, I think the one I have is a "bargain bin" special. My speakers don't really do bass and I'm thinking it might just be that, but to be honest I haven't really had any problems with other music. I know it's quite an old recording but I do listen to other music recorded around the same time and in comparison this does sound pretty bad.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
In that case I guess my recommendation would be to look for some other Morricone compilations. There are plenty around and I`m sure you`ll be able to find a decent one at a low price. Hope you find a recording that sounds good on your system.

A

Anonymous

survivor:In that case I guess my recommendation would be to look for some other Morricone compilations. There are plenty around and I`m sure you`ll be able to find a decent one at aÿlow price. Hope you find aÿrecording that sounds good on your system.

Cheers I will do that, I may try to find a copy of the one you have.ÿ

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
E0OZCAEZBKCPCASYXGGECA1ZRR1ICA7PAHL.jpg

Better than the cd I own is this compilation which I actually have on double cassette. It`s on Amazon for £6.47 and is an absolute bargain! Might get one myself to replace the cassette.

A

Anonymous

survivor:
YFEVCA1E5ZCVCA02RJ12CA7QVILECAXMHQ8.jpg

Amazon are also selling the above (extended version) for just £3.98!
Thats the album art on my vinyl. Likely the digi tranfer. In which case it should be a quality recording.

A

Anonymous

Ordered! Thanks for the tip. Hopefully it will be an improvement.ÿ

A

Anonymous

They've opened with Ecstacy of Gold for the last 20 years or so. Brilliant song, easily the highpoint of the soundtrack (and one of the highlights of the film IMO).ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts