The CD IS DEAD !!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

rob998 said:
John Duncan said:
There's an app for that...

http://www.accuraterip.com/

But how do they sample the Key Discs? Using a CD drive & an assumption that every drive of a certain model is constructed absolutely to the same precise specification as every other drive of the same model with components made to the exact same specification as every other component in each & every other drive (ie with absolutely no mass manufacturing tolerances whatsoever....)?

Actually, I'm now even sceptical that a rip of equal quality can be made, never mind one of superior quality......

If you're taking things to that degree of granularity Rob, may I suggest the following:-

1. Life really is too short. No, it is.

2. If most people can't tell between 320kbps and lossless, hell, 192kbps and lossless, how much do you think they're going to care about the potential impacts the manufacturing differences introduce into the rip and replay equation? Likely less than 0.001%. And they should be locked up.

3. If you're taking things to this degree, you've given up listening to music as a means of pleasure.

4. Life's too...ah, done that one!

Joking aside, I use EAC and am more than happy with that. Prior to that I used - and occasionally still do - iTunes. When I listen to WAV files on my iPod Touch, or through the stereo in my signature line below, they sound like the albums I've known for years. I can live with that and the possibility that somewhere along the line a copy might not be bit perfect. As long as I'm happy with what I hear, that's what counts in the end.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
hi Rob, just wondering how you are enjoying the 6004 and if you use the USB input and is it any good? Sorry to the OP for off piste .

Hi moon, I love it, it's such a great improvement over my old Sony CDP XE-900E (which I also loved, just goes to show how much this outdated technology has come along.... ;) )

I do actually use the USB input, both for my iPod & for a few hi res album downloads I've dropped onto a USB stick specifically to test the input. It works really well & is a more discreet (and free...) option for connecting an iPod or similar to your Ye Olde Hi Fi System than a dedicated dock.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote: the record spot]

If you're taking things to that degree of granularity Rob, may I suggest the following:-

1. Life really is too short. No, it is.

2. If most people can't tell between 320kbps and lossless, hell, 192kbps and lossless, how much do you think they're going to care about the potential impacts the manufacturing differences introduce into the rip and replay equation? Likely less than 0.001%. And they should be locked up.

3. If you're taking things to this degree, you've given up listening to music as a means of pleasure.

4. Life's too...ah, done that one! [/quote]

Just having a bit of fun RS, fuelled by a rather good Rioja.

There is no way my ears are good enough to hear the difference between an error corrected lossless rip & the original CD. But if someone states that a rip can be better than the original.....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Surely the error inherent in this thread is the suggestion that the two are mutually exclusive. Surely you can both rip/stream music and play CDs...?

No. You have to take a side, dig a trench, declare the other guy a sworn enemy and throw things at him. (Mac vs PC, analogue vs digital, iPhone vs Galaxy, active speakers vs passive...etc.)

If the other guy rips his CD collection to a computer, backs it all up to a £50 hard-drive (kept in a desk at work or a friend's house) then not only is he an enemy, but the smug so-and-so will still have all his music collection after a house fire/flood/break-in and deserves all the contempt you can...

...err, hang on, that's rather sensible actually.

SteveR750

chebby said:
Andrew Everard said:
Surely the error inherent in this thread is the suggestion that the two are mutually exclusive. Surely you can both rip/stream music and play CDs...?

No. You have to take a side, dig a trench, declare the other guy a sworn enemy and throw things at him. (Mac vs PC, analogue vs digital, iPhone vs Galaxy, active speakers vs passive...etc.)

If the other guy rips his CD collection to a computer, backs it all up to a £50 hard-drive (kept in a desk at work or a friend's house) then not only is he an enemy, but the smug so-and-so will still have all his music collection after a house fire/flood/break-in and deserves all the contempt you can...

...err, hang on, that's rather sensible actually.

I'd have both if it wasn't for the expense, once I found my pc could sound at least as good as my CDP then it was easy for me to sell it and use the cash for something else.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
[quote: John Duncan]Not after a good Rioja, anyway. Alcohol gives me tinnitus...[/quote]

That's a tragedy John, it really is. For me sitting back in my listening chair with a nice red & putting on a favourite album (vinyl, cd, tape or whatever, yes even MP3) is about the most perfect "me time" I can imagine, other than riding a fantastic road at a sporting pace on my Ducati.

John Duncan

rob998 said:
[quote: John Duncan]Not after a good Rioja, anyway. Alcohol gives me tinnitus...

That's a tragedy John, it really is. For me sitting back in my listening chair with a nice red & putting on a favourite album (vinyl, cd, tape or whatever, yes even MP3) is about the most perfect "me time" I can imagine, other than riding a fantastic road at a sporting pace on my Ducati.

[/quote]

Hey, I never said it stopped me...:-D

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Does cd6004 read hi res flac from USB pen drive? Can you confirm that please? Just looking some good cdp :) this would be big plus thanx

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
domenn said:
Does cd6004 read hi res flac from USB pen drive? Can you confirm that please? Just looking some good cdp :) this would be big plus thanx

Sorry I probably used the wrong terminology. I think I meant high quality rather than hi res, eg apple lossless & 320kps mp3. Bloody Rioja. :doh:

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Howabout Leema Elements Streamer? Have not found any review yet, although the device seems to be on the shelves.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts