The Big Question, with a big oversight?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having just got the latest mag in the post, I am having a read and was a bit miffed with The Big Question feature. To compare two comparitively priced products, uning different technology to see which tech is better, makes sence. To then introduce a third product at approximately 10 times the cost of the first two and not then compare that with a similarly priced piece of kit using the alternative technology, seems completely pointless...

Am I alone in thinking this, or can someone explain why it was done in this way? The article has made for interesting reading, but for me, leaves more questions than it answered...

Sorry if my post is a bit vague, I don't want to be going into too many specifics when most won't have had a chance to read the mag yet...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, because the initial comparison was using the same kind of files via both Marantz devices. We then introduced the Linn as a means of playing the 192/24 files, and to show what a truly high-0end streamer can do with standard-definition, too. At the moment, very few streaming clients can handle 192/24 content, which kinda forced the choice of the Linn on us, but the number is set to grow.

A

Anonymous

Could there not have been a simmilarly priced CDP (to the Linn) thrown into the comparison though?

The Marantz should support 192/24 too, so why wasn't that format used on the Marantz?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, there could have been a similarly-priced CD player. But there wasn't. We usually only have three variables in TBQ.

The Marantz only supports WMA 192kHz files; otherwise it's 96kHz max.

A

Anonymous

Well they (Marantz) kept that quiet about the restrictions of only supporting 192/24 WMA files.

As I said before, I did find the article an interesting read and a surprising result with the comparison between the two Marantz players. I just don't really see the validity of then comparing a product that is clearly well out of the league of the other two players...

What I would like to know, does the comparison between CDP and streamer (at similar price points) follow a trend of which is generally better, or is it a bit early in the day to be asking such a broad question?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dougolada said:
Well they (Marantz) kept that quiet about the restrictions of only supporting 192/24 WMA files.

It's in the specs, but as I said, 192kHz/24-bit support is the exception rather than the rule with products of this kind at the moment, though there are signs that may change in the future.

The same, incidentally, goes for gapless playback.

A

Anonymous

Will be good to see what the future holds...

As someone currently in the market for a network streamer, how worthwhile would you say 192/24 support really is? The norm seems to be 96/24 with manufacturers such as Naim and Cyrus both adopting this over the 192/24. Am I really likely to notice the difference?

Gapless playback is something of great importance (in my mind). I can't be doing with a pause between tracks in an album that was specifically written to not have a pause. I can't say I've ever noticed "gapless playback" being mentioned within a player's spec sheet. Is it really that rare, or just something that doesn't tend to get mentioned?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
dougolada said:
As someone currently in the market for a network streamer, how worthwhile would you say 192/24 support really is? The norm seems to be 96/24 with manufacturers such as Naim and Cyrus both adopting this over the 192/24. Am I really likely to notice the difference?

The relatively few 192/24 or 176.2/24 releases I have sound very good indeed; how important it is to you is really a matter of personal musical taste in terms of software availability and how you think the market will go.

dougolada said:
Gapless playback is something of great importance (in my mind). I can't be doing with a pause between tracks in an album that was specifically written to not have a pause. I can't say I've ever noticed "gapless playback" being mentioned within a player's spec sheet. Is it really that rare, or just something that doesn't tend to get mentioned?

It tends not to get mentioned because most of the players currently on the market from traditional hi-fi names don't support it.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
It tends not to get mentioned because most of the players currently on the market from traditional hi-fi names don't support it.

Hmm, may have to hold off til it becomes more of a norm...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts