The Best TV For £999!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Looks good from the video, though it's often difficult to tell with things like that. No obvious DSE to my eyes.

I meant to ask, Gel, how do find the GT50 with 24Hz content? It occured to me that, despite a long audition, I'd only watched 50Hz demo material in John Lewis. A few AVSForums members report that 24Hz content stutters on the GT50, unless you set the TV to output 60Hz using 3:2 pulldown.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Looks good from the video, though it's often difficult to tell with things like that. No obvious DSE to my eyes.

I meant to ask, Gel, how do find the GT50 with 24Hz content? It occured to me that, despite a long audition, I'd only watched 50Hz demo material in John Lewis. A few AVSForums members report that 24Hz content stutters on the GT50, unless you set the TV to output 60Hz using 3:2 pulldown.

No the screen is perfect! With 24hz content it is brilliant! That was done with my iPhone! No stutters at all. Took me about an hour and a half to upload that!
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Gel. That's another thing I can cross off my list of worries about the GT50.

I won't rest easy until the TV is in my home and I've had a chance to test it properly. I don't expect any TV to be perfect. I just don't want distracting problems with that would spoil my enjoyment.

I'd upload a video using my HTC once the GT50's in place, but I'm pretty confident the quality would be awful. That's one of the disadvantages of owning a cheaper smartphone...

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Cheers Gel. That's another thing I can cross off my list of worries about the GT50.

I won't rest easy until the TV is in my home and I've had a chance to test it properly. I don't expect any TV to be perfect. I just don't want distracting problems with that would spoil my enjoyment.

I'd upload a video using my HTC once the GT50's in place, but I'm pretty confident the quality would be awful. That's one of the disadvantages of owning a cheaper smartphone...

Ah nice one.
smiley-smile.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
That's my kind of thing! Motion looks excellent!

I can't wait to watch the Aussie Open on the GT50. That's if the BBC show any of the matches. I don't have Sky, as I'd only want it for exclusive tennis coverage and I can't justify the expense on that basis alone. I'll be gutted if there's no BBC coverage at all...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've just listed my Kuro for sale on AVForums, will be sad to see it go, but the time is right.
wave.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
That's my kind of thing! Motion looks excellent!

I can't wait to watch the Aussie Open on the GT50. That's if the BBC show any of the matches. I don't have Sky, as I'd only want it for exclusive tennis coverage and I can't justify the expense on that basis alone. I'll be gutted if there's no BBC coverage at all...

Yep, motion is perfect, no blurring or trailing, nothing. Yeah, I never seem to watch the movie channels, but watch the sports a lot, football is perfect too, don't even have to watch it in HD it is that good.

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've just listed my Kuro for sale on AVForums, will be sad to see it go, but the time is right.
wave.gif

Just had a look, looks really nice! Good listing too. That should sell easy. If not use eBay, you get tons of watchers. I will keep an eye on it.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
wave.gif

Just had a look, looks really nice! Good listing too. That should sell easy. If not use eBay, you get tons of watchers. I will keep an eye on it.
smiley-smile.gif

Somebody did state wrongly that it wasn't full HD, but I quickly corrected them, and both comments have now been removed.

Fingers crossed gel, we'll get a good price, and it will go to a good home.

Trying to avoid ebay, fed up with their fees.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll be interested to see how you get on. Kuros of course hold their value better than Panasonic plasma TVs, so hopefully you'll get some sensible offers.

I might go the AV Forums route myself when selling my V20. I'm still not sure what a sensible price would be. I saw a 42V20 sell for £370 on AV Forums a few months back, so perhaps listing at £375 would be reasonable. Likewise, I'm tired of high ebay seller fees. Plus you take a small hit with the PayPal transaction.

The V20's black levels are identical to the ST50 and VT50 (0.009 cd/m2, accoridng to HDTV Test). The V20 can't match this year's models for detail and dynamic contrast, but it's still an excellent TV. You'd hope somebody would be interested...

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gel said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
wave.gif

smiley-smile.gif

Somebody did state wrongly that it wasn't full HD, but I quickly corrected them, and both comments have now been removed.

Fingers crossed gel, we'll get a good price, and it will go to a good home.

Trying to avoid ebay, fed up with their fees.

Good offer BBB.
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm considering it gel.
confused.gif

He offered me less through the private messages, but I turned him down.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
I'll be interested to see how you get on. Kuros of course hold their value better than Panasonic plasma TVs, so hopefully you'll get some sensible offers.

I might go the AV Forums route myself when selling my V20. I'm still not sure what a sensible price would be. I saw a 42V20 sell for £370 on AV Forums a few months back, so perhaps listing at £375 would be reasonable. Likewise, I'm tired of high ebay seller fees. Plus you take a small hit with the PayPal transaction.

The V20's black levels are identical to the ST50 and VT50 (0.009 cd/m2, accoridng to HDTV Test). The V20 can't match this year's models for detail and dynamic contrast, but it's still an excellent TV. You'd hope somebody would be interested...

Personally, I'd say ask for £50 more than you actually want, then it gives you room to negotiate.
wink.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm considering it gel.
confused.gif

He offered me less through the private messages, but I turned him down.

Just had a look at the listing and that is a sensible offer.

I wouldn't want to sway your decision, and I'm sure I wouldn't anyway, but a bird in the hand and all that... Maybe you could ask him to meet you halfway? If he really wants it, another £25 shouldn't stand in his way. And from your perspsective, it would be disappointing to let a guaranteed sale pass by for the sake of a small difference. As always when you're selling, it's a question of how willing you are to play hardball...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

He offered me £450 initially, and he has stated that £500 is his top offer, but we'll see.

I'm going to sleep on it and not give it a moments thought.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If it was me, I'd accept the offer, as it's close enough to your asking price for you not to lose sleep. A fortnight from now you won't give it a second thought.

That's just me, though... It'd be annoying if he withdrew the offer and you were left hanging around for another one, which might be lower. As I rule I'm in favour of sensible solutions requiring the minimum amount of hassle.

That said, it's of course your call and doesn't really have anything to do with me. And I doubt he'll withdraw the offer overnight.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I did tell him in private messages that I was thinking about it, and would let him know as soon as I'd decided, so there has been contact.

To be honest, it's very likely that I'll accept it, but I am indecisive, and I have made financial mistakes in the past when rushing decisions.

D

Deleted member 2457

Well done BBB. :clap:

Are you going to sell your Pioneer Blu-ray player now?

D

Deleted member 2457

When are you guys taking delivery of your Panasonics again?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Deal's not quite done yet gel, but should be ok.

Pana's coming on the 3rd.

I will have a brand new BDT120, Sony BDP-S360 and my Pioneer BDP-320, and (I think) I want a Sony BDP-S790 when I see a good deal.

I like the Pioneer, but it is so fussy with disc, that I think it will have to go. It is MR for DVD though, which is useful, so it might go to the bedroom, and the 360 gets sold along with the new 120. I'm sort of tempted to give the 120 a go, but if I do, it's then 2nd hand, and loses some of it's sale value.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
confused.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
When are you guys taking delivery of your Panasonics again?

In theory, January the 3rd, though I've read about delays with deliveries of GT50s from John Lewis on another thread. Hopefully it will be delivered on schedule and I'll post a mini review soon after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts