The best turntable based system with a budget of £30K - recommendations please.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

record_spot

I want to get a turntable based HiFi with a 30K budget to include cables and stands. I do not need any other source. I love a range of music - from Led Zep, Stone Roses, Magazine, New Order, Radiohead, lots of electronica, Portishead, Massive attack, Orbital, plus loads more from 1970s - till now, having approx 1000 LPs. I want the best possible sound. What are your recommendations please?

Please don't be offended, but I genuinely don't understand what you mean by "I want the best possible sound". That's where you do some of the legwork (the bulk of it in fact).

What kind of sound do you like? Presumably you've got a few laps round the sun on the clock and have at least a passing interest in audio, so you've perhaps got an idea of the kind of sound you like.

With that in mind, are you looking to buy active or passive speakers through which you'll play your turntable? If you've only got the one source, actives might well come into play with a phono preamp. How about a valve amp? Or are you after a straight old integrated or maybe pre/power with accompanying phono pre?

As for the turntable, I'd spend the bulk of the cash on that, maybe even as high as £15,000 or slightly more - the Dunlop Systemdek 3D comes in at a whisker off £17,000 and looks the mutts. It'll also take 9"-12" tonearms which might become a consideration if you're bitten by the bug later. Used examples do exist so shop around. Then there's the Loricraft (now owned by SME who acquired the Garrard brand) 501 - back in 2009, this would've set you back a whisker over £5,200, so any models now aren't going to be any cheaper.

Systemdek top web.jpg

Comparable cartridges? No idea - you can blow a small fortune on those alone, so have a chat with someone like Ian Harrison in Derbyshire. He doesn't have a website, used to advertise in some of the hifi mags (Hi Fi World as I recall) and knows his stuff. He'll likely get you a good price too. See also phono stages.

If it was my money, I'd draft a shortlist of what I really want (a bit more than just "a turntable system for £30k"), allocate initial budgets to the various bits I want/need, have a chat with a good dealer and listen to some good decks, revisit the budgets if needed, work out the actual shortlist you're going to settle for. And don't overthink it.

As for the "best sound", only you can decide that.

TRENDING THREADS