The best Sonos alternatives 2020: budget and premium multi-room solutions

arcadelt

Feb 5, 2020
I recently discovered that when the Internet is down, not only do Alexa and Google Assistant not work, but the apps do not work either. I don’t own an Echo or Google Home based multiroom audio system, so don’t know exactly how they are controlled, but I suspect lack of connectivity might render them useless too. On the other hand, in that circumstance my Sonos system continued to work flawlessly with local content.

rodanger75

Mar 9, 2020
Is there a multi room music system that can receive a stream from a local PC over Wifi in multicast ? Sonos devices can't (although they can receive AirPlay from a Mac), and all I see on other systems is Bluetooth input (which is good but not as good as multicast for range and quality).

arcadelt

Feb 5, 2020
Is there a multi room music system that can receive a stream from a local PC over Wifi in multicast ? Sonos devices can't (although they can receive AirPlay from a Mac), and all I see on other systems is Bluetooth input (which is good but not as good as multicast for range and quality).
you can set a computer as a music source for a Sonos system, and the Sonos app can then reach into that source and play that music over WiFi. Is that similar to what you are asking?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts