The auditioning process

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Let's say you have 2500 quid to spend on a cd/amp/speakers - WHF's favorite option at this price is often given as the Rega Apollo, Roksan Kandy and ATC STM11s. So you look around on the internet and find a Rega dealer... but they don't sell Roksan or ATC. Same goes for the other components: the shop only sells 1 of the 3. How do you go about listening to all 3 together?? tajules.

A

Anonymous

1) Trawl the UK for a single dealer, or
2) Get multiple dealers to allow you to do a home demo of the respective components
3) Find a passionate dealer that does decent kit like Rega, Naim, etc, and see what combinations they recommend for the money.

My friend has recently bought the Rega Apollo, Rega R5 floorstanders & Rega Mira 3 amp. It came in at a bit less than £2.5k but sounds very nice indeed. The speakers have a very special timbre that some will love others will not, i.e. extremely focused, very well timed and a little thin and polite. I have to say I rather liked it.

An alternative would be the same speakers and CDP but with the Naim Nait 5i.

It's a difficult game and can certainly try your patience, but don't fall into the trap I did last time I bought a system - go with what Sevenoaks sell. In hindsight I wish I had tried some Rega or Naim dealers further afield before committing.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Cornflake Shop just off Tottenham Court Rd in London sells the Rega Apollo £600 and ATC speakers £850. They stock Naim, Arcam, Rega, Bryston, AVI and ATC amps. I've had a listening session there and they were very helpful.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
For that money, I'm sure they would do you a deal too. Why don't you let them suggest a few things in a 2 hour session, including getting a pre/power amp combo which in my opinion would sound better than the Roksan.

Of course this all depends on what music you like.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I live in Sheffield, so London is a bit out of the way.

There's Moorgate Acoutics which is a good shop, I last went in and had a chat with a view to auditioning a system later in the year. They sell Cyrus, Naim, Rega, Dynaudio and Spendor... but no Roksan, ATC, PMC, ProAc....

However 300m up the road is Audio Images who sell ATC, Focal, Meridian, Arcam, Linn, Kef, Naim.....

I'm just wondering how cheeky it is to ask the ATC dealer if I could lend some SCM11s for an hour to try with the other dealers kit....? :eek:)

Or.... Perhaps get both dealers to lend me a system for a week and then mix and match at home (!)Just remeber to take the right kit back to the correct shop!!

jules.

A

Anonymous

It depends how much they're bothered about selling hifi. It never ceases to amaze me how little some places do to get a sale. I won't buy from a dealer unless they give me decent service because I'd rather see them close down. In their defense I think many only really make money on custom installations and only do the separates bit out of interest.

(steps off soap box)

While I'm here, I'd like to recommend Synergy AV up in Congleton, Cheshire. Very good attitude and service.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
IMO they are made if they won't lend a set of £850 speakers, not just for that sale, but for future upgrades. Not only will they be making a decent amount of money on those the potential is huge for future sales.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
If a dealer gives you an audition, you should always buy from them. Otherwise they will go out of business. They are also much more likely to be decent if you have any problems than cheaphifibutnoserviceethic.co.uk

A

Anonymous

[quote user="jules153"]Thanks for the replies. I live in Sheffield, so London is a bit out of the way.

There's Moorgate Acoutics which is a good shop, I last went in and had a chat with a view to auditioning a system later in the year. They sell Cyrus, Naim, Rega, Dynaudio and Spendor... but no Roksan, ATC, PMC, ProAc....

However 300m up the road is Audio Images who sell ATC, Focal, Meridian, Arcam, Linn, Kef, Naim.....

I'm just wondering how cheeky it is to ask the ATC dealer if I could lend some SCM11s for an hour to try with the other dealers kit....? :eek:)

Or.... Perhaps get both dealers to lend me a system for a week and then mix and match at home (!)

Just remeber to take the right kit back to the correct shop!!

jules.
[/quote]

I have just bought a Cyrus 8vs2 from Moorgate Acoustics today, but have been demoing a Naim Nait 5i from Audio Republic in Leeds and kit from Sevenoaks in wetherby. No need to tell them anything. Worked for me.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Swings and roundabouts. At least you didn't do the internet thing.

Sevenoaks are half way to that anyway being a big franchise and offering big discounts. I'm not a Tesco fan and believe we should support the little fellas.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]Swings and roundabouts. At least you didn't do the internet thing.

Sevenoaks are half way to that anyway being a big franchise and offering big discounts. I'm not a Tesco fan and believe we should support the little fellas.
[/quote]

I agree with you Joel. I actually got offered a slightly cheaper price from Sevenoaks, but due to their "attitude" felt obliged to go with the other supplier. (Non Franchise).

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
It is difficult auditioning. I recently bought a Cyrus 6vs & Monitor Audio RS6 sfter an audition at Sevenoaks. I went back to collect the goods & borrow a couple of different interconnects - mainly QEDs - but as a different person served me he wasn't keen on lending me the interconnects.

Surely cables/interconnects are even more difficult to audition? Where could i borrow interconnects the like of Brilliance, Chord or Nordost?

Any ideas?

(I aslo bravely or stupidly ordered the new Cyrus 6SE CD player without an audition purely on grounds of always liking the sound of Cyrus!)

bjd2772

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Don't get me wrong - i think the different experiences was down to different staff. I have used & no doubt will still use Sevenoaks. In fact if their website on deals/clearances was a little more reliable i'd be buying every month until the debt collectors come a knocking!

Any experience of Brilliance cables/interconnects?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Just to backup Sevenoakes... [/quote]

Glad you said that as I've bought most of my hi-fi from Sevenoaks in the past and have always found them more then helpful. When I bought my original surround system about 5 years ago, they even let me borrow a Denon AVC-A1SE amp - at the time a brand new amp costing £2,000. Naturally, they had my credit card number and confirmed my address from my driver's license, but I really appreciated that (too many Dixons / Currys experiences before I guess!). I loved it and bought it and still have it today!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="professorhat"][quote user="fr0g"]Just to backup Sevenoakes... [/quote]
Naturally, they had my credit card number and confirmed my address from my driver's license[/quote]
Exactly, why can't other stores do that and lend cables, etc? Because they're too lazy to be bothered to make the sale as it's only a few quid. They deserve what they get (or don't get!)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts