The Adverts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The problem with much online advertising is that the agency believes that if it does something different/impinges on the copy of the site and generally gets in the way that they have done their job as they have got it noticed.

Wrong in my opinion, and I'm in advertising - as people have rightly pointed out an annoying ad, be it online, on TV, in a mag, is bad for the brand.

I have to say when an ad covers some copy I'm reading it frustrates the hell out of me, especially those that have a very hidden 'close' mechanism. Grrrrrr. If more sites didn't allow rubbish like this it would be better.

ÿ

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Andy just to say I agree with what you were able to convey to the W.H.F. team something that bugged quite a few of us. It has now been resolved quickly and proves the Clare and the team value constructive critisism.As for ssurfer maybe he should return to stuff forum as he doesn"t appear interested in av or hi-fi like the rest of us.cheers mate.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
Sorry Gary my mistake. I've just been hunting around myself and adblock plus is available. I'm using Safari as my main browser and it seems an app called PithHelmet is the way to go at around £5 as oppose to ap's freeware.

The fact this is the first time I have had to think about this in all my long and illustrious web browsing career is a different matter.

Thanks for the help though.ÿ

Glad you found something. PithHelmet has got to be worth a fiver for the name alone!

A

Anonymous

Anyone who's using latest version of Safari on OSX and wants to completely block ads try this.

It's an on/off situation but I can't see any reason why I would ever want to choose which ads I don't want to see.

I've got sea-legs now.

A

Anonymous

RodhasGibson:Andy just to say I agree with what you were able to convey to the W.H.F. team something that bugged quite a few of us. It has now been resolved quickly and proves the Clare and the team value constructive critisism.As for ssurfer maybe he should return to stuff forum as he doesn"t appear interested in av or hi-fi like the rest of us.cheers mate.

Hey, no problem. My post did sound a little 'brown nosey' but every word was meant.

A

Anonymous

That "Hi Spek" advert is actually getting pretty silly now - it just makes the site look tacky if you ask me - the one at the top (usually motoringjobs.com) is fine because it doesn't hinder the site at all, but come on WHF, on the old site this stuff never happened!

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
On Firefox 3 a plugin is available called flashblock. It blocks all flash based media but has a clickable big F logo if you want to see the flash product, ie. youtube videos. On the whole it's pretty good and easily configurable.Also the Avant browser (IE based) and it's sister browser Orca (Firefox3/Gecko based) have flash block built in. Both are only available on windows though.Can't help anyone who uses IE7 as I hardly use it but I'm sure somethings available....just done a quick search and IE7pro add on has flash block built in.

A

Anonymous

Being a developing Flash developer I think ads like the ones hereÿincite codeism. Flash is a glorious environment to work in that is just starting to really blossom after years of abuse. I just hope these backward ads exterminate themselves soon.

Messiah

russ74:
On Firefox 3 a plugin is available called flashblock. It blocks all flash based media but has a clickable big F logo if you want to see the flash product, ie. youtube videos. On the whole it's pretty good and easily configurable.

Excellent! That has dealt with that at last!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts