The Adverts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Not one to grumble (I've accepted life without an avatar) I'm having to complain about the 'Roll over' adverts at the head of the page.

I usually have a few tabs open at a time and cannot reach them without catching the advert. It really annoys me as it is slow to close and I can't 'back-up' with it on.
emotion-12.gif
emotion-39.gif
emotion-45.gif
emotion-60.gif

Please do something about it.

daveh75

yep, they annoy me too, and the "seat" one keeps covering the forums,blogs review tabs if you catch it,,,grr.

why dont you get austin7 to upload you an avatar, just add your name to he list on this thread.not ideal i know, but better than being naked so to speak

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:We have to pay for this site somehow...

I'm all for the making of money but a little less intrusively/ more ergonomically.

The fact that they are so close to the headers means they literally get in the way. If you put the rollovers at the side or foot of the page it would be easier to use without continually triggering them.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
andyb190:The fact that they are so close to the headers means they literally get in the way. If you put the rollovers at the side or foot of the page it would be easier to use without continually triggering them.
Can't see the problem myself, in a variety of browsers, but comments will be passed on to the DM Team and the Ad Sales people. As with the magazine, we on the editorial side neither sell nor place the adverts on the site.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep ,we're typically as surprised as you are by the ads that appear - I keeping waiting for the cool Bond Blu-rays ones to appear again!

But I have decreed that none should cause usability issues - so i'll rap some knuckles tomorrow!

A

Anonymous

andyb190:
Not one to grumble (I've accepted life without an avatar) I'm having to complain about the 'Roll over' adverts at the head of the page.

I usually have a few tabs open at a time and cannot reach them without catching the advert. It really annoys me as it is slow to close and I can't 'back-up' with it on.
emotion-12.gif
emotion-39.gif
emotion-45.gif
emotion-60.gif

Please do something about it.

I've just sorted your avatar.

As for those rollover ads I will really have to hold myself back to stop a full blown rant coming on :)

Whenever I see one that prevents any functionality of our sites I am on the phone to ads quicker than you can say "why did that happen?"

There have been occasions where ads have been deployed that prevent main navigations working in some browsers, the stick I keep under my desk is large and pointy...

But the site does have to paid for somehow.

A

Anonymous

I gladly accept the ads and even pay attention to them at times ( more frequently since I became an avatar toting forum member) but they were just impinging enough to make me post this thread.

As always you have responded quickly and now I'm ''as
happy as a man who thought a cat had done its business on his pie but then it
turned out to be a really big blackberry."

A

Anonymous

This one keeps opening even when I'm not hovering it. I'm not being petty, it's really annoying.

ad.jpg

daveh75

yep, i know what you mean....and it keeps chopping off the sides of posts too. come on whf,i understand the need for ads..after all the site needs to be paid for. but seriously not at the expense of usability

A

Anonymous

It still never fails to amaze me that people moan on here that adverts catch your eye. That is surely the whole point of advertising and in this particular example at least it is a relevant advertiser and one that could be really useful to someone as opposed to some ads on some sites out there.

A

Anonymous

stuffsurfer:
Itÿstill never fails to amaze me that people moan on hereÿthat adverts catch your eye. That is surely the whole point of advertising and in this particular example at least it is a relevant advertiser and one that could be really useful to someone as opposed to some ads on some sites out there.

ÿ

It still never fails to amaze me how people moan on here without understanding what they are moaning about.

daveh75

stuffsurfer:

It still never fails to amaze me that people moan on here that adverts catch your eye. That is surely the whole point of advertising and in this particular example at least it is a relevant advertiser and one that could be really useful to someone as opposed to some ads on some sites out there.

its not the fact there is ads, its just when they hinder using the site, read the thread properly

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
This one keeps opening even when I'm not hovering it. I'm not being petty, it's really annoying.;

One click with Adblock plus and it was history...

A

Anonymous

Gary Mardell:Octopo:
This one keeps opening even when I'm not hovering it. I'm not being petty, it's really annoying.;

Adblock plus is a no go area - though if you know about any mac software to block only this particularly ad let me know.

A

Anonymous

daveh75:stuffsurfer:

its not the fact there is ads, its just when they hinder using the site, read the thread properly

I am quite capable of reading the thread properly and know exactly what you are harping on about but I just disagree with you. I have no problem with them expanding over content and although they are flashing away on the side of the page they do not hinder how I use the site.

There are apparently half a million people using this site each month and it doesn't look as if there are that many complaints about the problem does it? I could be wrong......

A

Anonymous

stuffsurfer:
There are apparently half a million people using this site each month

What dave75, myself and others are saying is that the advert can quite happily be there if it doesn't hamper our use of the forum. I've built one or two expanding ads in my time and every time I cringe because I know people will hate my work. You seem to be quite keen on shouting out the definition of advertising, in my opinion a big, red, flashing, poorly designed, ugly advert is enough without it expanding to the extent that I can't actually use the site.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

stuffsurfer:

I am quite capable of reading the thread properly and know exactly what you are harping on about but I just disagree with you. I have no problem with them expanding over content and although they are flashing away on the side of the page they do not hinder how I use the site.

There are apparently half a million people using this site each month and it doesn't look as if there are that many complaints about the problem does it? I could be wrong......

When I originated this thread the Ads on top of the page were rollovers and kept activating when I tried to reach my tabs. I mentioned this and within hours of my thread the team had mentioned it to the Boffins who then made the top ads 'Click Here'.

Firstly, you gotta say that's good service, by any stretch of the imagination, and secondly, that is not moaning. It is customer feedback and I feel empowered that my voice and the others (Oct, Daveh) were listened to.

The newer side ads are mildly inconvenient but easy enough to navigate around. Others may not think so and they have used this thread to air this opinion. If the team thinks it's valid then they may do something about it; if not, then they won't.

Please don't post on here to moan about this process. In fact, use your recently acquired membership on here to learn about HiFi & AV and leave us to communicate to the team about anything we want.

Once again...Thanks Clare, Simon, Austin & the Andrews for being the caring magazine website. If there's an award for this, then surely you'll be nominated
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Octopo:Gary Mardell:Octopo:

Adblock plus is a no go area - though if you know about any mac software to block only this particularly ad let me know.

That's a very good question. There has to be something out there. What browser are you using?

In general the ads are OK but this latest one is very annoying, not so much for the movement but for the covering of content. That's got to be a no-no imho.

Edit: just googled 'adblock software for mac' and it looks like there's some options out there to try.

A

Anonymous

Sorry Gary my mistake. I've just been hunting around myself and adblock plus is available. I'm using Safari as my main browser and it seems an app called PithHelmet is the way to go at around £5 as oppose to ap's freeware.

The fact this is the first time I have had to think about this in all my long and illustrious web browsing career is a different matter.

Thanks for the help though.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS