Thatcable speaker cable for rear surrounds??? Which one would be best suited?

ashton1

Sep 22, 2008
Visit site
I am looking for approx 35 metres of speaker cable to finally reposition my rear surrounds. At the moment I'm after something cheap and came accross thatcables offerings. 0.75mm AWG21, 1.3mm AWG 16, or 2.1mm AWG 14 variants. The question I have is which would be best suited for my needs?

After reading the blurb I'm still non the wiser on what the diameter and AWG rating would be best suited. I am running an Onkyo 616 with Mourdaunt Short Alumni's at the rear, soon to be upgraded to Dali Zensor 1's.

has anyone had any experience of any of the above cables and have any views on if it is worth buying? Or any other cable thy can recommend. Appreciate it is cheap, but looking for a low cost option for now as funds are limited.

Hi ashton1

I feel that you should also consider using basic 79 strand OFC speaker cables. Fwiw, I also use basic 79 strand speaker cables with components such as Yamaha's Aventage RX-A3020, Chord Electronics DSP8000/Plinius Odean, Monitor Audio Platinium Series, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anderson

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ashton1

I feel that you should also consider using basic 79 strand OFC speaker cables. Fwiw, I also use basic 79 strand speaker cables with components such as Yamaha's Aventage RX-A3020, Chord Electronics DSP8000/Plinius Odean, Monitor Audio Platinium Series, etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I am by no means disagreeing with you (I literally know nothing lol)

Can you explain why 79strand is okay, reading around everyone seems to suggest 2.5mm is minimum which can get expensive especially when dealing with long runs like the OP.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Many people will tell you that the OFC 79 strand is perfectly fine to use in a system and you probably don't need anything more than that. Are more expensive cables better? In many blind tests between cheaper and more expensive cables, people could not tell the difference.

In the case of rear speakers it becomes less important to worry about the price of your cable as opposed to that you would use for your fronts. The logic here is that the fronts have more to do and produce the majority of sound and detail you are hearing.

I would also stick with OFC 79 for rears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts