Thank you PJPro

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Reading the What Hi-Fi magazine has always cost me money and the forums have had the same effect.

I read PJPro's helpful post regarding Foobar2000, WASAPI, album art etcetera. I'm now sitting here at my PC typing this post listening to some jaw dropping music.

PJ you cost me a lot of money and indirectly upset my wife but I am very happy. As a consequence I have built my own HTPC reripped my entire CD collection to FLAC and now play my music with Foobar utilising WASAPI. I did upgrade my speakers and amp which made a significant difference. My Marantz DV7001 is now gathering dust unless I play SACD's (Pity it is not possible to rip these :( ) But bit perfect error free copying of CD's is a comforting way of listening to music. None of that getting up off the couch and swapping CD's all the time.

This week though I got delivery of the DacMagic and I was a little sceptical of the difference it could make. Boy oh boy oh boy what a difference! Half of my collection has been revived irrespective of whether it was ripped or direct off the CD player. Up till now my ear was bent towards electro and synth because it was enhanced by clarity and precision. Anything else was a little clinical and cold.

Today I have listened to Mike Oldfield, Led Zeppelin, Kent, Queen and so on. The warmth and detail won't let you press the off switch, I'm in raptures. The quality of acoustic notes is incredible, you can hear the fingers sliding down the guitar string. I'm hearing little surprises on all my favourite albums. My biggest problem is although I play music off my PC in the study as well I cannot put my DacMagic in two places at once.

In the study I have a Marantz SR4200 and Mission M7 speakers and I was gobsmacked with the quality of Foobar. Now the DacMagic has doubled the pleasure. Might have to break the piggy bank and get a Beresford!

Just to underline, Foobar has added clarity and timing to my music. The DacMagic has made use of that and added depth, warmth, clarity and soul to my music.

(Drink was involved in the production of this post plus evocative music)

John Duncan

adamshaw:My biggest problem is although I play music off my PC in the study as well I cannot put my DacMagic in two places at once.

Buy another
emotion-2.gif

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
adamshaw:
PJ you cost me a lot of money and indirectly upset my wife but I am very happy.

Errrr. Everything you mention (foobar, WASAPI, etc) is free?

Sorry for upsetting your wife....but glad to be of help anyway.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:adamshaw:
PJ you cost me a lot of money and indirectly upset my wife but I am very happy.

Errrr. Everything you mention (foobar, WASAPI, etc) is free?

Sorry for upsetting your wife....but glad to be of help anyway.

Yes, you are right. Don't worry she is not upset with you, just a little peeved with me and the money I have spent. She's a bit of a Philistine when it comes to Hi-Fi.

In all seriousness thanks for taking the time to open my eyes to helpful software.

A

Anonymous

Yes EAC and Accurate Rip Lossless FLAC with full compression. I followed your instructions in one of your many helpful threads. I've also just updated my album art with AlbumArtDownloader XUI that you also provided instructions for.

My only disappointment is that I cannot find a workaround for G-Force to work with Foobar. I have used the WinAmp plugin workaround but it only provides a windowed visualisation. I want fullscreen and full functionality.

G-Force will work with input sound as a standalone. Is it possible to for Vista read the output WASAPI as an input and make G-force work that way?

I usually listen to music with "Pure Direct" on my amp which cuts Video/Audio circuitry for a smoother richer sound. However for a party or electro style music it would be nice to have G-Force to marry with the mood.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
OK. I've bitten the bullet and polluted my PC with Winamp and G-Force (you owe me!). I now have G-Force working at full screen. Wanna know how?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Rather than make you sweat (which I was considering), I'll tell you the solution now.

If you right click the window containing the G-Force visualisation and select "Full Screen", you'll get a full screen version. This appears to throb with the music and displays the track name and artist at the beginning of the track (fades after a few seconds).....so it appears to be properly hooked up.

As I've got the free version, it occasionally displays some advertising blurb for G-Force.

If this doesn't work for you, I can go through all the steps I took to arrive at the desired solution.

Incidentally, I've also got Milk Drop and the other winamp visualisations working too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again PJ. I cannot believe I missed that the last time. Funny thing is I got Milk Drop working as well and I was very impressed. It actually seems more responsive and colorful than G-Force. Went well with the Prodigy at full tilt.

They both work in the default user interface which is my preferred UI in Grey/Orange with Oscilloscope or Spectrum.

(Now I can concentrate on getting my VFD to work with DVBViewer)

Give yourself a pat on the back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts