Testing, testing... 1,2,3...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
Transient preservation !

Fom the recording all the way to the replay system, this is what allows recorded music to sound realistic.

Info below from the master

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/139888-transient-response-one-my-favorite-subjects.html

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b3c0/a892a982ebde91f83f228905dac30186f827.pdf

Thanks for the link, especially info from Bruce Swedien.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Below is a post from Bruce Swedien on gearslutz that is just as relevant when talking about HiFi Equipment as it is when he talks about recording equipment.

"It’s All About The Music.....

Here's how I really feel about it....

When a technique or peice of equipment gets in the way of the music we have lost our opportunity to express ouselves with our recordings....

Try to think of it this way.....

Someone said this to me the other day: "Great art is clear thinking about mixed feelings..." That thought keeps coming back to me. Perhaps it is because I have always felt that I am an artist at what I do...

My pal John Klett said something very interesting to me the other day: “Don’t ever go for some piece of equipment just because it’s got a better number, or because people say this is the thing to do”. (I can't get his statement get out of my head either)

Think about this for a minute... “It is possible for the human ear to quickly analyze complex musical sources and sounds far more quickly and much more accurately than any known test equipment.”

How does this Phenomenon apply to Recording Equipment?
This fact has always been fascinating to me. I have talked to highly skilled technicians who will say that when you test music mixing consoles with very sophisticated test equipment, two different consoles will measure essentially the same, yet when you send the same musical sound source through these two mixing desks, our perception of the musical quality at the output of the two mixing consoles will be very different. In fact, I have found this same occurrence to be true when comparing all music recording equipment.

I believe this dilemma is a good example of the necessity for us to not place our confidence in either the objective or subjective schools of thought when it comes to judging music recording equipment. In this case what I mean by objective thought, is the comparison of sound equipment as an impartial and unbiased process. The word objective is defined as being characterized by honesty, justice and freedom from improper influence. By subjective thought, what I mean is that our analysis of such sound comparison as an intellectual or cerebral process.

This is, as you can see, two sides of the same coin. I think when it comes to equipment comparison, it really goes far deeper than that. To me it really involves our basic instincts and emotions.

The reason I am making such a big point of this one issue is that I see a good number of people in our industry who take equipment manufacturers specification statements at face value.

I don’t mean to infer that equipment manufacturers specification statements are deliberatly falsified. Not at all. It’s the fact that there are so many ways to interpret a technical statement that we absolutely must reserve the right to make an evaluation with our own needs, abilities and emotions as part of the process.

Please don’t let the printed page totally influence your judgement when it comes to evaluating music recording equipment. The specificatons that a manufacturer states as to how his equipment will perform is merely a starting point from which we will select what equipment we want to consider. After we make the initial choice about what equipment we want to assess, we must listen to it with our ears and our hearts and make the final evaluation with our instincts. Making equipment choices must be a very instinctive and personal process.

We must develope a willingness to follow our instincts. Gut reactions translated to music recordings are the most believable. This may be more true in our work than in any other field of endeavor. If we have good instincts to begin with, we must learn to listen to that little voice in the back of our heads, or behind our belly buttons, or
wherever it resides and do what it tells us is right.

And that also means whether to use compression or not to use compression.....

If you analyzed all the frequencies and combinations of frequencies in the tone of a few notes from a violin, and then wrote a program for a computer to indicate that sound exactly, could you tell from the resultant computer print-out what kind of a violin it was? The human ear can discern such subtlies almost instantaneously.

The human ear can tell from exclusively subjective means, much more quickly and accurately than any known test equipment. It's like the old musical intrument makers. They didn't measure, they just listened. Stradivarius didn't have a computer. Perhaps his violins would not have been as wonderful sounding if he had had a computer."

Bruce Swedien

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't resist posting this list of equipment that Bruce Swedien uses for his recordings. *biggrin*

Originally Posted by andy_simpson
viewpost.gif
What are you listening on these days Bruce? Westlakes?

The question of monitoring is far more critical than people might think. It would be interesting to hear your take on the subject.

Andy
Andy and All......

Here is my MONITORING AMPLIFIERS AND SPEAKERS these days...

Matched Pair of - Westlake Audio Lc3w12 Monitor speakers

1-Genelec Subwoofer Monitor speaker-model-7071A

4-Electrocompaniet Model AW-180 - Monitor Amplifiers

This system sounds so good..... makes you want to HURT yourself!!!!!

Bruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=DJnDEoZ7XSA

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
I can't resist posting this list of equipment that Bruce Swedien uses for his recordings. *biggrin*

Originally Posted by andy_simpsonWhat are you listening on these days Bruce? Westlakes?
The question of monitoring is far more critical than people might think. It would be interesting to hear your take on the subject.

Andy

Andy and All......

Here is my MONITORING AMPLIFIERS AND SPEAKERS these days...

Matched Pair of - Westlake Audio Lc3w12 Monitor speakers

1-Genelec Subwoofer Monitor speaker-model-7071A

4-Electrocompaniet Model AW-180 - Monitor Amplifiers

This system sounds so good..... makes you want to HURT yourself!!!!!

Bruce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=167&v=DJnDEoZ7XSA
Very nice video. isn't it strange now I hear new instruments from the MJ's Thriller just by watching that video with sounds placed & put into words. Very good illustration, like by brain has been trainned to hear more on the track. *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts