Testing Speakers

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello all, well with my modest system of rega p2 with a denon dl 110 Cambridge audio a1,640p and ma br2 speakers, i tried a little experiment, i tried my system with some tdl rtl2's using Gotham speaker cable and ic from amp to phono.

First up was steely dan with do it again, nice clear sound but a bit bass heavy due i suppose to them being floor standers, next up Alice cooper and hello hooray, well nothing special there, next up corncob by the groundhogs, nice and clear very musical bass but the left right separation was a bit suspect.

now to some heybrook hb1's, now were talking, lovely clear mid range tuneful bass and sparkling treble a total improvement over the tdl's. Then my son came home from work and joined in the fun, how about some cradle of filth and some dream theater to test them out and so to the Sony dvd player as i don't have a cdp it's the next best thing.

Well dream theater are great and sounded quite good on the Sony but struggled with cradle of filth, then back to the tdl's, oh dear not a good move so on went my ma br2's, so much better, great timing, speed, bass, mid range and all, truly great little speakers, then back to the 3 vinyl tracks, well it was an eye opener the ma's coped brilliantly with all 3 tracks and i am very happy with them,

i have had a great day today as well going through a few favourite albums and cannot fault the little br2's, i suppose i have what they call system synergy but the br2's are great speakers and i highly recommend them, but my exercise was to have fun and i did so if you have any old component's knocking about have a bit of fun and throw them into the mix, you may find there's no need to upgrade just yet and enjoy what you already have.

All the best, Gregory.

Edited in the interests of readability - inserted some par breaks and punctuation - AE

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gregory:
... i tried my system with some tdl rtl2's using Gotham speaker cable and ic from amp to phono.
First up was steely dan with do it again, nice clear sound but a bit bass heavy due i suppose to them being floor standers..

Do you have a 'suspended' floor? (Boards on joists over a large air-space underneath, for those who have never lived in an old building.) Is the floor carpeted or not? Where was the Rega P2 positioned in respect to the speakers? TDL RTL designs always had a bit of reputation for flabby and boomy bass and if yours were sitting on top of a suspended floor, with the turntable supported on a table or rack sitting on the same floor, then you have a recipe for out-of-control, loose, boomy bass with some floor-borne feedback thrown in for good measure!

If so, maybe try the TDL's again with spikes and placed on top of paving slabs, and the Rega P2 supported on a (load bearing not stud) wall support away from the direct 'line of fire' of the speakers. The £65 Rega wall support is ideal and good sense whatever speakers or flooring you have. The same is true - but to a lesser extent - of CD players suffering from this type of floor-borne mechanical vibration.

My old BR1's on spiked Atacama stands on a solid concrete floor (and before them an old pair of KEF Q35 floor-standers) never interfered in any way with my old wall mounted Planar 3. Check all the screws/bolts on the TDL's drivers to ensure they are all tight and make sure they have some room to 'breathe' with at least half a metre betwixt wall and speaker.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello Chebby, yes wooden floor, carpeted, rega on rack between speakers. Not ideal but i have contiboard walls and although the rega is a light deck i am not sure the walls would take the weight. I like the tdl's but i am happy with the sound of the br2's but i will not get rid of them, the same as the hb1's, they are in the wardrobe out of the wifes line of sight plus a couple of recievers and an old technics amp and a trio kd 1033 turntable, i am a bit of a hoader, but i need to get some valve amps, i had a leak stereo 20 and a croft super micro, oh they sounded great with everything but had to sell them to fund my son's drumming, which i have to say is proving fruitful but that's another story. Thanks for your input but i am happy with the sound my system gives me and have no need to upgrade any of my components, even the rega and i know the upgrade potential of the deck is infinate but i do have a glass platter knocking about somewhere as i dont like the mdf platter and when i find it, will replace it with the glass platter.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
Whilst having some speaker matching problems which left me with no main speakers for a couple of days I decided to hook up my old Mission 760s which I use as rears for my Homecinema. These were 5 star winners back in the day supposedly great in budget systems and also with mid-high end kit!

Well, I wasn't dissapointed..The sound was detailed but not bright. very musical and it was hard to trip them up!.The only thing lacking for me was the bass. A bit light for my taste...Maybe I should try them again with my sub!!! It's amazing that you can pick these up on the net for as little as £15-20 these days. At that price sound per £ is unbeliveable

it's great to experiment and also agree it's a joy to spend a day listening. Cheers

A

Anonymous

The MA BR2's are indeed great little speakers. I loved them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts