Question Technics SL-1500C vs SL-1200GR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Would you rather buy 1200GR for $2300 or 1500C for $1500?

• Total voters

JohanEk

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Havent heard the 1200GR but I did end up buying the SL-1500C. Loving it! Upgraded the pickup when purchasing it from the 2M Red to the 2M Bronze.
Tried the builtin phonostage first which is fantastic itself. Now I have a an external Clearaudio Nano V2.

Was about to try something a bit more expensive but 1,5 week ago I become a father so that will have to wait now. :D

However. I can highly recommend the SL-1500C!

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks, I believe both of those would require the addition of a phono preamp but good quality ones should be available for around $300
i can tell you that the SL-1500c with no upgrade in stylus will sound better and will work for a lot more of years than the refered pro-ject turntables but i would spend a litle more in a SL-1000gr but having to choose the SL-1500C would be my option and maybe a sumiko black pearl mc with a pre-amp they say there´s a new one because the older went out of production but with the nagaoka jnp-3000 it´s a eliptical stylus or the joetsu black goldline also is great but an mc low output cartridge allthough it sounds very good ,this i´m refering is to keep no more upgrades i think i would prefer this to the 2m black from ortofon ,being the ones i refer a mc type ,a pre-amplifier would be needed but today everybody seems to have to buy a pre-amp and i ordered a 35 € pre-amp from china a tubes one ,it sounds perfect better than many above 100 and something € but if not in your budget the 2m red is good enough mm type ,the problem is the bad phono stage of most of new amplifiers ,there are still good ones for turntables but very expensive ,keep a low budget one eliptical or spend a litle more and the sound will be incredible

i can tell you that the SL-1500c with no upgrade in stylus will sound better and will work for a lot more of years than the refered pro-ject turntables but i would spend a litle more in a SL-1000gr but having to choose the SL-1500C would be my option and maybe a sumiko black pearl mc with a pre-amp they say there´s a new one because the older went out of production but with the nagaoka jnp-3000 it´s a eliptical stylus or the joetsu black goldline also is great but an mc low output cartridge allthough it sounds very good ,this i´m refering is to keep no more upgrades i think i would prefer this to the 2m black from ortofon ,being the ones i refer a mc type ,a pre-amplifier would be needed but today everybody seems to have to buy a pre-amp and i ordered a 35 € pre-amp from china a tubes one ,it sounds perfect better than many above 100 and something € but if not in your budget the 2m red is good enough mm type ,the problem is the bad phono stage of most of new amplifiers ,there are still good ones for turntables but very expensive ,keep a low budget one eliptical or spend a litle more and the sound will be incredible
So am I getting you right? You suggest putting a £2100 Koetsu on a £899 turntable?
Most amplifiers phono stages will also be equal or better to the ones built into modern turntables.
and as for that Sumiko Black Pearl it's a cheap moving magnet, perhaps you meant Blackbird

Last edited:

Nicko_Sparks

Feb 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting MoFi UltraDeck with MoFi MasterTracker cartridge and MoFi UltraPhono phono stage and I’m really happy with my purchase!

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
So am I getting you right? You suggest putting a £2100 Koetsu on a £899 turntable?
Most amplifiers phono stages will also be equal or better to the ones built into modern turntables.
and as for that Sumiko Black Pearl it's a cheap moving magnet, perhaps you meant Blackbird
yes the phono stage either in a amplifier(new one) or in a turntable are very bad this till some price or around 1.000€ and the turntable no matter if more cheap i´ve seen new turntables that cost more and even if it were given to me i would ofer it to my 14 year old kid they almost need to be in a controlled enviroment to work with the sound they say it delivers with determined cartridge and stylus ,that i think it shouldn´t be legal but this SL-1500C it the start to a very good sounding turntable and simple to use and no matter the specifications of some more expensive turntables wich are a Lie like those portable radios in the 80´s with colourfull cardboards saying 1000 WATTS from brands like CIE or technicals pro .A important feature is that one doesn´t have to change a belt with your own hands that are always dirty no matter if washed 2 minuts earlier ,the skin protects itself always printing left organic almost not seen substance and a direct drive from technics doesn´t make any sound or have to put your hands on anything , i talked about the black pearl because i had one but old and now i think they are selling it again and you´re right it´s a mm type and the price i don´t really know but it´s cheaper than others i refer, as an example the oyster it´s not so good because i heard it in a friends turntable from pro-ject made part with carbon fiber but a cheap polymere would be better but now it´s fashion and it makes more sense in a sport car body than a turntable , and i refer what i think are good stylus because i use them and as option i refer the less expensive MM type ,but the oyster is also good , if you never tried an old amplifier or stereo receiver even the cheaper ones at the time were much better than today´s new amp.´s. I myself 20 years ago purchased a cambridge integrated amp. and had to sell it because when comparing it to a pioneer receiver from 74 and a cheaper model the sx-450 ,i notice regarding the phono input had a much evolved sound and clarity but buying one today and maybe it´s in a bad shape and it wouldn´t sound as good as i say ,the prices are also inflated much more than in the 70´s ,the price of some new cartridge and stylus are incredible expensive while in late 70´s one could buy it for alf price with the same specifications this taking in consideration the evolution of the currency of today i also forget to refer the speakers i bought a new tannoy model in the second alf of the 80´s they are the sixies(model 603 with original stands) i heard several persons i knew at the time telling me that were very good and i have a pair of tannoys bought in 76 that are great .This new ones i never heard such a bad sound but i went to my home ofice, where i have several hi-fi equipment and tested them with a pioneer 8800II and a luxman receiver and they become fantastic but i bought them to use with a new denon at the time said to be very good ,well it seems that not all is compatible but my doubt is why all equipment i have from the 70´s makes sound better any new equipment, sorry for my bad english , regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts