technics sh eh60 stack system

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
system specifically set for use with included speakers. anyone know of a speaker to upgrade volume and quality? seems 6 ohms but if connecting other speakers vocals very faint as system produces 3 ohms per channel. very odd. no speaker i have tried works. hopefully there is a speaker guru out there somewhere. gutting to return the monitor silver 100s as sounded nice. i need help but also figure may well be a non starter. i can email specs/manual if anyone wants to take a look. cheers. gerald

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
sorry for the confusion. system is fine. however, the way in which the system is made/configured means that only the system speakers seem to sound right as impedances odd. vocals are distant/faint on both speakers i tested so its my system that has the issue. have recently spotted manual says cannot attach different speakers as the 6ohms are actually a total, meaning 3 per main speaker. my assumption therefore is that i would need speakers, maybe from a similarly configured midi/stack system, that also have this weird config. i have come to realise that i may not be able to upgrade my speakers. only want 10/20% more volume and a bit smoother treble at v high volumes, but my system is pretty damn good especially as cost me 50 quid off gumtree, so maybe i just need to accept what i have. was worth a punt but i think i will need to give up.

Gray

Would I be right in thinking that it has a 4-core cable to each of the speakers it comes with?
(With red,black,blue and grey wires for each speaker?)

What other speakers (if any )have you got to test it with?

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
hi mate. you are correct sir! in case useful https://www.google.com/search?q=tec...ome..69i57.16176j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
i tried monitor silver 100s. nice. so sad had to return. the bw 607s. small but surprisingly loud and punchy. returning now. then spotted bit on manual re speaker impedances and come to realise i may have no options. frankly, i do all on a budget so both speakers were cheap as care for mum with dementia. live on benefits. got this awesome technics system 50 quid on gumtree and a spare amp and processor and surround speakers 30 quid on ebay. i am thinking of getting same speakers as a back up as 50 quid. then i have a system that should last for years and will be close to making me happy, mostly. i think maybe i should be grateful for what i have and stop moaning and keep onside with my neighbours.

Gray

Don't worry, I understand your need to keep costs down.
(I mentioned the 4 wires to each speakers because I've got an old Technics system - designed to work only with its own speakers).
Presumably the supplied speakers sound OK, but you hoped to change them to improve things.

It's not great quality but the user manual appears to show only 2 terminals on each front (main) speaker, just a normal red (+) and black (-).
How many terminals are actually on each one of the speakers? 2 or 4?

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
thats odd. i mentioned before definitely 8 ports on amp to 4 ports per speaker. link i added is for my system so i am mystified. and yes again you are totally correct re my needs. essentially i have a pretty kick ass system that i have also upgraded with a fiio k2 pro dac/amp with good quality optical leads from sky q and then into stereo. now i have v loud tv and can see eq lights whereas before sky didnt show up as so quiet and have potplayer media player as for some weird reason when i use it to play music vids/concerts via hdmi to tv then to technics the sound quality is awesome. way better than not through hdmi or even with hdmi but using vlc/windows/realplayer. its strange, but good, so i stick with what works. i realise my system is really rather good, but i wanted more. i believe possibly a very obvious first world problem... looked at link. service manual sorry. how you managed to see anything re speakers is beyond me as i looked 3 times and saw nothing! anyway, yes def 4 ports per speaker.

Gray

...def 4 ports per speaker.
OK, so that just makes me wonder if you removed the Monitor Audio and B & W shorting links when you connected to them (you probably did).

If you decide to experiment with any other speakers, look for bi-wireable types, which will have the 4 terminals which are essential for your bi-amped Technics.
Make sure you remove the shorting links and connect blue / grey to 'HF' and black / red to 'LF'
(Ensure you keep the (+ -) polarities correct).

You also mentioned vocals sounding weak. That Technics seems to have all sorts of surround / spatial modes. Just make sure you find and select a pure 2 channel mode for listening to music.

Good luck and all the best to you and your Mum.

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
hi. thanks for mentioning the likely obvious possible things i missed. bear in mind system sounds great with original speakers. i have discovered the issue is the unique way system is configured. i seem to need very low impedance biwired speakers. 3 ohms as says 6 ohms total for front speakers. manual says not to use different speakers. obviously not just a throwaway line to stop us changing as a real issue. my only hope is someone who might just happen to know a 100/120 db/watts rms set that would work and be an upgrade, but i think unlikely. i will make do as system is very good and will prob buy cd tape and front speakers off ebay for c 100 quid or so as i will then have 2 systems so lots of redundancy and should last for years. i edit quiet music/music videos to tidy and increase volume/adjust treble and bass, so i will be happy enough. still gutted about the monitor silver 100s though. they kicked ass. cheers. g

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
forgive my ignorance/confusion but note at bottom of page 7 says that if connecting to low and high terminals then the total combined impedance is 3, not 6, even though specs say main speakers are 6ohm. this appears to be the root of the weird distant vocals problem but sounds counter intuitive to me. i'm sure must be a good reason for this config and more knowledgeable audiophiles probably understand all this. shame this system seems odd, but in fairness it serves me well so i will make do til i win the lottery or some genius knows of other speakers that might work, but i am thinking there are no such speakers unless maybe technics have an upgraded version of these on another system.

Reactions: Gray

geraldinho4851

Oct 1, 2021
Visit site
indeed. just picked up a complete system without speakers off ebay for 50 quid including delivery. back up speakers will be c 50 quid. i am happy enough. thanks for input mate. cheers. g

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts