Technics 1210

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
How good are these turntables, and can you get a better sounding turntable for less, what project turntable would match the Technics for sound quality.How would a debut compare in sound quality. Thanks.

T

the record spot

Never compared either, but to cut to the chase, put a good cartridge on to a 1210 and you'll have a pretty impressive turntable. Put a better arm on a 1210 (a modded RB250 for instance) and you'll have a seriously good deck that'll give anything below £750-£1000 a good run for the money. I reckon it'd see the Debut off comfortably.

A

Anonymous

I've had a couple of pairs of 1200/1210's with Ortofon cartridges in the past and, yeah, they sound very good but I'm not sure I'd want to use a single one as a nice Hi-Fi turntable (partly because of their industrial look, I guess). It always has been and always will be designed for a club enviroment. Mind you, I know one thing, they're built like engineering bricks inside out and it would never fail on you!

Another plus point would be the motor, being quartz direct driven, is ultra steady and of course, they're more resistant to vibration than pretty much any other deck. They're just not the "purest" of designs though so because of that I think I'd be looking elsewhere for a nice Hi-Fi deck.

After all, it's modern day equivalent is a Pionner CDJ 1000 Mk3 and I wouldn't spend £800 on one of those to use as a CD player! A Hi-Fi CD player costing half as much would most likely put it's sound to shame!

T

the record spot

ARW77:
It always has been and always will be designed for a club enviroment. Mind you, I know one thing, they're built like engineering bricks inside out and it would never fail on you!

Another plus point would be the motor, being quartz direct driven, is ultra steady and of course, they're more resistant to vibration than pretty much any other deck. They're just not the "purest" of designs though so because of that I think I'd be looking elsewhere for a nice Hi-Fi deck.

Oddly enough, the deck was never intended to be a DJ bit of kit, rather, that group adopted it. It was a home turntable (and a look at the Technics decks from the late 70s shows it was more of an evolutionary design as opposed to one based on the DJ community's needs) first and foremost, but like a lot of designs in hi-fi of the time, there was some hefty over-engineering going on.

I think it filled more of the boxes DJs wanted ticked, so perhaps more happy coincidence than anything else. What is a given though is without the dance music community, we'd have struggled to keep vinyl afloat for as long as it did from the early 1990s.

A

Anonymous

Ive had my 1210's for quite a few years now and think they sound very good. As someone else said they are built to last my friend actually dropped his down a set of stairs after a house party and with the exception of the lid being smashed nothing else was wrong with it! I suppose it depends if you like the industrial look and if you have any need for a pitch control i woudnt say anything bad about mine though.

A

Anonymous

Someone told me you could stand on them as they go round not sure i want to try it though! Not sure if this is still the case but i was told in the past that other decks have better sound because of the fact they are belt driven and not direct drive like the 1210s.

A

Anonymous

i have a 1210 and have to say on the end of my audiolab 8000 cd 8000q 8000m monitor audio rs 1 set up it does very nicely - easy to use bombproof build looks great - now i'm not saying it's a linn or anything like that but for the money it,s good

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've been researching the options for a Mk.2 SL1200 myself, and I've found a few people recommending the Ortofon 2M cartridge range as being ideal for this deck.

When finances permit, I think is the route I'll be taking with mine.

After replacement of the lid. And the hinges. And the weight. And everyting else that's missing... (It's an ex club deck, so has earned its living in the past). For now though, the el-cheapo Dual cartridge I've fitted is doing fine, and has shown the deck to be very capable.

A

Anonymous

I find the deck very nice sounding. As good as the arcam cd192 but different. Like a sideways step.

But needs a reasonable cart.

And if it looks like a dj deck? Borrow a friends when you have a party and get some flashing lights! CLUB NIGHT!

OCDphile

Jun 3, 2022
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have found a pair of techincs 1210 mk2 boxed and unopened in my dad's loft and I opened one up to take a look and they are literally brand new. At this point my OCD perfection side kicked in and started to wonder just what these were worth and if I should even sell them. I have unboxed them to be absolutely sure and they haven't got so much as a water mark on them. Everything from the leads with original tie bands, rubber slipmats and not a finger print in sight. Can anyone please advise me what I should do in terms of selling, or holding on to them if they will be worth keeping hold of. Thank you so much

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Maybe start a new thread as this is approximately 13 years old. Having said that if you have a few LPs then keep 1 and sell the other, look at eBay for an idea of their worth. Lucky you, I wish I had a coupe in my loft.

Reactions: Al ears
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts