Tech Query- Centre channel needed to integrate into Front L/R mix

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I have recently upgraded to a Centre channel to compliment my usual Stereo L/R speakers. My query is that when i have set the menu on the Amplifier to incorporate the Centre channel (Large) it then cuts all centre channel signal from the main L/R and only outputs to the Centre channel (in Dolby Digital/DTS modes 5.1 etc). I would like to mix some of that signal back into the main front speakers as my living room dictates the TV and centre channel are placed to the left of the Left Front Speaker. Due to a fireplace in between the Front L/R speakers i cannot place the TV in the traditional middle of the front speakers.

As such the dialogue from the centre speaker sounds very directional to the left side whilst the speakers deal with the effects/placements etc.The sound i feel was better when i used the main stereo L/R as it was more balanced.

I notice from the manual that in the set-up mode i can adjust the sound field for Dolby Pro Logic II. This includes 3 options of which one of them is "Centre Width" which allows you to gradually spread the centre channel into the front L/R speakers. This control achieves a more spacious or better blend of the front image apparently? Only thing is it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Does anyone know if this setting , Dolby pro logic II, is used on most DVD's? All my DVD's usually show on the display as "Dolby Digital 5.1 with all the corresponding channels L/R C SL SR LFE.

Current set up:

Marantz SR-4400 Surround amp/receiver - linked to DVD player via Digital Co-Axial cable and Audio O/P L/R stereo. (Digital always used)

Marantz DV6500 DVD/SACD Player- Scart to TV and as above to amp.

Speakers Kef Q35 L/R Front and Kef IQ2C Centre speaker

Any help most appreciated as it feels like i've wasted £200 on cable and a speaker.

Cheers Marc

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think you're best bet is to take the centre speaker back. By its very defintion, the centre speaker needs to go in the centre. Having the speaker to the left of the left speaker makes absolutely no sense and will cause exactly the problem you mention. I'm not aware of any way you can mix the centre channel back in the left and right as, most people wouldn't want to since to do this, the easiest way is just to have no centre.

I'd seriously recommend looking at your setup and rearranging it so the TV and the centre speaker are in the centre.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the response Professor. The Marantz manual does state that on the menu set-up for Dolby Pro-Logic II i can adjust , Panorama (wraps L/R around listener),Dimension (Adjusts soundfield towards front or rear) Centre Width (spreads Centre sound into front L/R incrementr 1-7) My question is what exactly is Dolby Pro-Logic II? Is this available using my digital connection and does it relate to 5.1 dolby digital surround sound?

There is no space to put the front speakers either side of the TV due to the fireplace. All i want to do is increase the vocal aspect of DVD's but balance it with the front speakers rather than exclude it from them. If anyone has a marantz SR-4400 and has a similar predicament i'd like to know. I have emailed Marantz and await a response.

Cheers tho.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Dolby Pro Logic II is basically a sound processing format that allows a Dolby Stereo signal which is properly encoded to be decoded / processed into 5.1 discreet channels (i.e. two fronts, a centre, two rears and a sub). The only application I know where it's used at the moment is in some games consoles. Dolby Digital (which, along with DTS, is the main format used on virtually all DVDs) is different from this and, as far as I know, there is no way to spread the sound using this format. Your main issue is all surround soundtracks are encoded assuming the TV is at the centre of your system. Since the TV is off centre in your case, any dialogue and forward effects are going to sound like they are coming from the wrong place since the picture is at one angle to you and the sound is coming from a different angle. If it's impossible to correct this in your setup, surround sound movies are always going to be a bit strange for you I'm afraid.

You can read about Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital at the links I've provided.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I know that many people have to put the TV in an alcove to one side of the fireplace. ÿHowever, the normal sound solution is to also put both front speakers on that side too, with the centre speaker above or below the TV on its rack/stand. ÿIs that not possible? ÿEven in stereo, your present set-up will sound peculiar as the Prof says. ÿHave you looked at something like the Yamaha soundbar?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts