Tannoy XT6f versus MA Silver 8

manufelices

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi! What is the main sound difference between Tannoy XT6F and MA Silver 8? I would like to find floor speakers for a NAD c356bee and I have not managed to hear some Tannoy. The MA (with Arcam) I found superb in the mid-range and treble but maybe they stand out too much over the rest of the frequencies.

insider9

The main difference will be down to differences in design. Have a look at Tannoy coaxial approach. There's nothing fancy about MA Silver.

Bar that it's a preference. Tannoys paired incorrectly could sound a little more shrill in treble than Silvers. However NAD usually pairs well with them.

insider9

Hmmm I've owned both Tannoys and Monitor Audio Silver. Previous generations though. If I'm honest I much preferred the Tannoy sound. There's something special about dual concentric design. Sadly the Revolution range can like I said sound a tad much with a wrong amp in the treble.

Do listen to both it's very much a personal preference. And it at all possible in your listening room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I have preferred the Tannoy speakers that I've heard, over the MA. IMO. Both need to be carefully matched with a suitable amp. I believe that the Nad is warmer sounding, which should work fine with Tannoy (which, for my taste, can get a bit shouty in the Treble if matched with a forward sounding amp).

...try to listen for yourself, though.

insider9

OP hope you don't mind if I ask Cno about something.

Cno, how would you compare your Kef to Tannoy? I've heard 201/2 over the weekend and was rather impressed. Are yours 203/2? How in your opinion does Kef implementation differ from that of Tannoy?

insider9

201/2 were driven with Denon PMA-2500NE with Sony DVP-S9000ES as a source.

Although there were many other design ideas in other rooms the single source point were working best if I'm honest. It's something I'd consider getting at some point with vintage Tannoy or something like Urei which were amazing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
OP hope you don't mind if I ask Cno about something.

Cno, how would you compare your Kef to Tannoy? I've heard 201/2 over the weekend and was rather impressed. Are yours 203/2? How in your opinion does Kef implementation differ from that of Tannoy?

I'll do my best with this, so i hope it's OK with the OP - better to seek forgiveness than ask permission. *biggrin*

IMO. The older Reference is more similarly voiced to Tannoy, than the Newer Refs.

My speakers are 205/2s, which I chose over the 203/2s having compared them....when I was spending that much money, I felt the extra was worth it, for the improved scale and impact from the Bass.

The UniQ and Dual Concentric seem similar...but the different companies don't like people saying they are the same.

I have never compared them back to back, which makes things difficult....but think I prefer Kef (which may be influenced by the fact I prefer them).

The Older Refs have huge headroom....and they just get better and better, as the amps improve. I don't like them paired with forward, more analytical Amps (like Chord), but prefer Amps with a hint of warmth (like Electrocompaniet).

I'm heading out the door now, so will be back later.....check out the Manufacturers info on their different implementations (you are better placed, with your background, to understand it than me).

BTW. What system were the 201/2s connected to.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

insider9

Excellent link, particularly to Tannoy. All in one place and worth a read. Having a quick browse it looks like I've been aware of most aspects but it's interesting and concise so worth a read.

One thing I will say is that 40 year old Tannoys I've listened to at Kegworth would compete against most speakers there. Extraordinary how little has changed. Materials and being able to model things on PCs but from pure sound quality point of view not that much to be fair.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Excellent link, particularly to Tannoy. All in one place and worth a read. Having a quick browse it looks like I've been aware of most aspects but it's interesting and concise so worth a read.

One thing I will say is that 40 year old Tannoys I've listened to at Kegworth would compete against most speakers there. Extraordinary how little has changed. Materials and being able to model things on PCs but from pure sound quality point of view not that much to be fair.

Tannoy have been doing this longer than Kef (who have been doing it a long time).

Here's another link: https://www.kefdirect.com/why-so-called-coaxial-speakers-aren-t-uni-q

insider9

Many thanks Cno. Particularly Tannoy link is champion! Looks like Kef are trying to basically say that it's a smaller version of Tannoy. Without giving away too much :) And more alligned in space thanks to the virtue of being smaller :)

I once had a pair of old Q series Kef but they were only ok. Tannoys Revolutions however were very enjoyable.

I reality good design principles are important but as always its the implementation that matters. I'm sure your 205/2 sound gorgeous.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
I reality good design principles are important but as always its the implementation that matters. I'm sure your 205/2 sound gorgeous.

They sound very good...but the New Refs sound more refined, sweeter and yet more detailed....and match (tonally) with a wider range of amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
Many thanks Cno. Particularly Tannoy link is champion! Looks like Kef are trying to basically say that it's a smaller version of Tannoy. Without giving away too much :) And more alligned in space thanks to the virtue of being smaller :)

I once had a pair of old Q series Kef but they were only ok. Tannoys Revolutions however were very enjoyable.

You might find this interesting (it touches on all aspects of the design, including the Uni-Q):

http://www.kef.com/uploads/files/THE_REFERENCE/REF_White_Paper_preview_path_200514.pdf

Apologies to OP for the divergence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts