Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6t + Cambridge Audio 540a v2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After reading the latest WHF, yes it just appeared in stores in the Netherlands yesterday, I've set my eye on the Tannoy Revolution DC6t speakers. I love their looks (and so does the woman) and the review was more than positive. However there's no place near my house where I can audition them.

Now I've got a few questions, would a CA 5401 v2 be good enough to power these speakers?

Are these speakers so great I can buy them without auditioning? Getting an audition on these speakers would involve a costly 2 hour train-trip... I'm looking for musical speakers which also pack a bassy punch and do some mean guitars and vocals. (in short: I want it all)

Thusfar I had my mind set mostly on Epos m22 or B&W cm7 (which I can both audition all I want in the city I live, and which I've spend a good few hours listening to already...), but the Tannoys look so incredible stunningly beautiful...

And last but not least; these speakers go for about €800 a peice in the Netherlands, are there any alternatives which I should look at? I can't stretch my budget up any higher though.

-Regards,

John Duncan

murphsy:Are these speakers so great I can buy them without auditioning?

No. Amps and CD players maybe, speakers no. I mean I know I bought my Neutron Vs without hearing them, but I at least knew the previous model well and they were only for the kitchen, not my main system. Speakers more than anything have their own sonic 'signature' which you may or may not like, and if you're going to spend that much you *have* to hear them.

A

Anonymous

Deep down inside I knew this was the only right answer, traintrip it is!

Any info on what kind of amp would pair up nicely with these speakers? It'll be a stereo setup at first but I aim to upgrade to the full 5.1 set in the coming time (read: coming years ;)).

At the moment I'm leaning towards a CA stereo amp, but their recievers look great too. Are they any good musically? The first upgrade I will do would be a subwoofer, is this possible if I decide to go for a 540a v2? Or do I need the 540R for that?

John Duncan

No you could do it with the 540A into the high level inputs of the sub, and then from there to the speakers. However, to answer your other original question, I think that the 540a is selling the Tannoys a bit short - how much does it sell for in the Netherlands (to get an idea of your whole budget)?

A

Anonymous

The 540a v2 would go for around 500 euro's, the 640 a full 100 more.. Putting it at ?600! Cyrus and the likes (Arcam for example) are unimaginably expensive. At least double the UK prices to get NL prices.

My total budget would be somewhere around 2400 ?, but the speaks will cost me at least 1500 for a pair. If not more.

I really do like Arcam and Cambridge Audio looks though, they look classy to me.

John Duncan

I'd hop on the eurostar from Bruges if I were you.........

2400 euros will buy you £1890 at the moment - Arcam A32 for 700 quid end-of-line, the Tannoys for £1k, and 190 quid for your train fare
emotion-2.gif

Course, there are warranty issues to consider........

I'd go for an Arcam rather than Cambridge by the way - I think the Tannoy can be a bit bright and might be just too much in combination with the lively Cambridge........

A

Anonymous

It really hurts to compare prices with the UK, it demotivates me a lot of spending any cash at all on the gear... So I've mostly stopped doing that.

Honestly I'm hearing a lot of bad comments about Arcam gear. General opinion doesn't seem to be too good. They are supposed to be loud, overpriced and flimsy... The overppriced is for sure. Since they start with an A32 at about 1600 euro's. And that's a webshop price.

Maybe the eurostar isn't such a bad idea ;)

John Duncan

Yes, Arcam polarises opinion here (understatement). But the A32 is an excellent amp (at £700 anyway), and not flimsy in the least - it's available here very cheaply as it's just been replaced. I'm sure either Moorgate Acoustics or Lintone Audio on eBay would ship one to you (both have lots of stock at £689 delivered free to the UK, more to Netherlands I expect).

Worth asking?

A

Anonymous

Hmm, I'll check it out when I get home from work. Ebay is frowned upon ;)

But you would think an Arcam fmj A32 with the Tannoy's I mentioned would be a worthy sound for my tv (Sony 40w4000) and a great sound with my cd's? (I'm using a Marantz cd5003 player, or 5002, not too sure - but I won't upgrade this, it sounds good for now)

The Arcam amp I can audition easily enough, but not with the Tannoys...

Is there a similar looking and great sounding alternative to the Tannoys? I love the classy look they seem to project into a room!

::edit:: UK > Netherlands shipping seems a bit risky, I'd hate to get my kit damaged on the way to me... Although it's like a 50% discount... mad!

John Duncan

murphsy:
Hmm, I'll check it out when I get home from work. Ebay is frowned upon ;)

But you would think an Arcam fmj A32 with the Tannoy's I mentioned would be a worthy sound for my tv (Sony 40w4000) and a great sound with my cd's? (I'm using a Marantz cd5003 player, or 5002, not too sure - but I won't upgrade this, it sounds good for now)

The Arcam amp I can audition easily enough, but not with the Tannoys...

Is there a similar looking and great sounding alternative to the Tannoys? I love the classy look they seem to project into a room!

::edit:: UK > Netherlands shipping seems a bit risky, I'd hate to get my kit damaged on the way to me... Although it's like a 50% discount... mad!

Yes, i think the A32 would be a splendid 'middle'. As for alternatives looks-wise to the Tannoys - tricky. KEF iQ series perhaps (some of the older ones have excellent reviews, but the updated models just out have had a mixed repsonse)? Again these are end of line and there are some serious bargains out there - the iQ9 can be had for £500.......

A

Anonymous

I'll give you an update after I've spend some time on my computer at home. Maybe I can find a dutch dealer offering a bit fairer prices... Otherwise I'm heading for my local HiFi-dealer armed with british prices. He already told me he would go down a bit to at least approach your kind of prices last time I went listening at his store.

I can give him an email to see if he's willing to stock the Tannoy's for me to try out - one can always hope.

It's a shame really, before I read the last issue of WHF I had my mind set on b&w cm7, which are easily aviable for me. But they just seem less classy compared to the Tannoys.

::sidenote:: I can feel it coming.. When I finally track down some Tannoys to listen to they will dissappoint ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts