Tannoy or KEF

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yet again about to part with cash and purchase KEF 2005.3, but then read quite a disturbing thread regarding KEF / customer service / KEF subwoofer.

Have the subwoofer issues been sorted or would I be better spending my cash on Tannoy Arena Lites??

A

Anonymous

I bought the Tannoy Arena (not Lite) set along with the Denon 1909 and have been very happy with them. I watched The 'Orphanage' last night and the sound effects were amazing. Creaking floorboards in the attic, loud slamming doors, the whole experience left me thinking my sound system was worth every penny. I'm not saying the KEF's wouldn't be as good but the Tannoy's are definitely decent performers.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou LIVERS, thats what I was tending towards. Read too many bad things ref the KEF subwoofer. Not sure if they have been sorted with the KUBE 2. Only thing that puts me off the Tannoys is the price of the floorstands (they do look fantastic though!!)

A

Anonymous

dont believe everything you read!!

if you have the chance you should audition the speakers and see which you prefer.

just because a few people complain about the sub etc doesnt mean anything, look at the sony46w4500 thread about compaints its only about 3 people whi have issues out of the numerous people that have probably bought them.

A

Anonymous

ok iv googled kef sub problems and the bad customer service seems to be outwith the uk.

and from what im also reading alot of people are talking about the psw2000 or something like that.

im sure the amp that comes with the 2005.3 is the kube2.

if you prefer the kef sonically then you should go for it, i will be under warranty and im sure there customer service aint too bad.

plus if they were mince and had lots of complaints you would probably see them on here somewhere as well.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
thanks once again, appreciated.

Yes they come with Kube 2 so thats good. "Strange" thing is the satellites have 3 yr warrenty yet the sub 12 months?????? hence why I am concerned

A

Anonymous

not sure about that!

maybe because the sub does more work?

i think you should go with what you like and just in case keep your proof of purchase handy!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes thats a good idea. Also I am buying from a real person in a real shop authorised by KEF.

Supposed I am covered by consumer law anyway that says it should be fit for purpose

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Kef had issues with the PSW subs - the PSW2000 in particular - but they handled it very well IMO. We now have the new Kube Subs and the problems have so far not re-surfaced. Both companies offer excellent customer service so any dealer who supplies you should be able to solve any problems very quickly.

The Arenas and KHT2005 are both great systems, the Tannoys have a different sytle but feel very well built, esp when on the brackets. Sound wise I prefer the Tannoys but we sell them in equal numbers in a variety of systems, it is a personal choice.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hello,

Like Livers I also have the Tannoy Arena and think it's great. I demod against most of the mid-range "style" packages available currently with a couple of other people, and found it to be the best, and in a different league to the KEF 3005SE in terms of detail and musical ability, (though it should be really as it was originally in the next price class up from the KEFs); while the KEF 5005 matched it more closely for detail, the musicality was still lacking.

Having said that, if you've heard the 2005s and like the sound better than the Arena then I wouldn't let quality issues put you off, as I don't think you'd have loads of trouble. Also, you are covered by the Sale of Goods Act for faults that develop within 6 months, regardless of guarantee, and that contract is with the actual retailer.

Subs do tend to only be guaranteed for 12 months, as they are active rather than passive components, (the Arena sub also only has a 12 month guarantee). The speakers are passive, and have a longer guarantee, though it's a 5 year one for the Arena satellites.

My Arena sub started blowing its fuse a couple of months after I got it, and I got the old one taken away and a brand new one delivered free of charge, (which seems to be going OK - touch wood). Had to hassle the retailer a bit to take away the old one for free, but they did eventually, (and have to really, as it's in the Sale of Goods Act).

Hope the above helps in your decision.

A

Anonymous

I bought my Arena set from Richer sounds and opted for the 5 year guarantee just to be on the safe side. They priced matched £750, so I got the guarantee for another £75 which I can claim back if I don't use it in 5 years time (providing I remember).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts