TANNOY MERCURY F1 CUSTOM 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM or WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1AV HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM

John Duncan

They're both great, but the Tannoys are better value, I'd say, unless you can find deals on the Wharfedale which bring them to the same sort of price. However, consider also F4s for the front, which are available at a stunning £120 from Richer Sounds at the mo (ignore the website price of £150)........

A

Anonymous

I've found the Wharfdales for £636.12 and the Tannoys for £685. £120! thats a great price.

John Duncan

You could get a pair of F4s, a pair of F1s and an FC for about £350, and miss out the sub altogether
emotion-2.gif

Though if it were only between the two you originally mention, and at those prices, I'd probably get the Diamonds.

A

Anonymous

would the f4s and f1s give me as good sound as the wharfdales?

A

Anonymous

emotion-40.gif
not sure what to do now, my priority would be for films most of time. I could buy the wharfdales and buy some f4s as well maybe.

John Duncan

Sorry, I'm not being clear really am I, and am confusing the issue.

Either the Wharfedale or Tannoy packages you mention would be excellent, but personally, I would build up a set of Tannoys - instead of having F1s all round, I would get F4s for the fronts. Because of this, I personally would miss out the sub, but you may wish to keep it in, which you could still do in your budget. Richer Sounds - F4s, £120; F1s £100; FC £50. That's 270 quid, leaving you another 400 quid to add a sub if you want to. Or you could leave it till later.

Does that make more sense? If it does, get down to Richers before they run out of F4s....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
With movies, I wouldn't give up the sub. Did some experimenting recently and since I have B&W 685s and a sub I'm not 100% on (still waiting to get the £400 I can justify to replace it), I set the amp to generally ignore it and use the B&Ws instead. After a few listens on both sub and non-sub setups, even though it's not a great sub, I still decided the movie soundtrack I was listening to (The Dark Knight) really benefitted from it. This is a really bass heavy track as well so any issues would be amplified I would have thought.
With movies, ignore the sub at your own risk I say. Mind you, my friend is the opposite - he hates too much bass and prefers the sound with virtually no sub so you really need to listen and make your own mind up.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
I do not own a 5.1 system yet, but was also interested in the wahrfedales, probably the 9.0 HCP system with 9.1 diamonds as the front 2. My personal prefernce is for music, woulg there be a notcieable difference with music (even 5.1 music DVDs) if a sub was omitted?? I am not too bothered about having bass-heavy movies.

A

Anonymous

is there any subs you would recomend? not sure which system to go for the wharfdales or buy the f4s and f1s which would be the better?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I considered the Tanoy Mercury F1 customs when i first looked at av speaker packages, and they sounded great but still slighty to big looking for my room so eventually went with the Quad-lites, with a great sub included for less than £500. If youv'e got the space i would go for the F4 Customs for fronts for the price their fantastic and would give you better option for stero use. Also you won't require stands which will save at least £50, add the rest of the package with F1 customs and centre, then look for a decent sub like Bk monolith which will give you plenty of bass or of course the Ts12 either way you'll be happy.I think for certain films a sub is essential it brings together the whole package so each speaker is designed to do the job their required especially the likes of Batman Dark knight, Hulk , Black hawk down anything with plenty of action and expolosive scenes.

A

Anonymous

ive been looking at a few speaker packages today i was offered wharfdale 9.4's, 9.0's, centre speaker and kef kube 1 subwoofer for £599 is this a good deal?

TRENDING THREADS