Tannoy at Bristol

F

FunkyMonkey

Have not managed to get to the Bristol Show this year. Last time I went was two years ago and they had many Tannoy on display but I was not much interested.

Are they still there and how are they? Will WH do a feature on them?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Tannoy were there showing off the new Mercury and Eclipse ranges. Also had a couple of the high end Prestige models too.

Both speakers were being fed by a Rega Apollo-R and Elex-R combo. The speakers sounded pretty good for the money.

In another room (I think it was Origin Live) they had an expensive looking turntable feeding a Sugden A21SE amp driving a pair of Q Accoustics 3020's - with a caption something like ' see how good music can sound with a £169 pair of speakers'.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
In another room (I think it was Origin Live) they had an expensive looking turntable feeding a Sugden A21SE amp driving a pair of Q Accoustics 3020's - with a caption something like ' see how good music can sound with a £169 pair of speakers'. 
....and how good did it sound?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
wilro15 said:
Tannoy were there showing off the new Mercury and Eclipse ranges.  Also had a couple of the high end Prestige models too.

Both speakers were being fed by a Rega Apollo-R and Elex-R combo. The speakers sounded pretty good for the money.

As the rest of the gear costed loads more

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:

To my ears - pretty good actually. In another room they had a pair of the new Mission VX range (VX1 I think) being driven by Audiolab power amplifiers. And as above, I heard both the Tannoy Mercury 7.1 and the floorstanding Eclipse model driven by a Rega Elex-R. All similar prices, and not much difference but if I had to take a pair home, it would be the 3020's.

It is unlikley however, that anyone buying any of the above will be matching them with a £1000+ turntable and Sugden A21SE or the full Audiolab set up, or even the Rega stuff which at £1500 (for the Elex-R + Apollo-R) was the 'cheapest'.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:
In another room (I think it was Origin Live) they had an expensive looking turntable feeding a Sugden A21SE amp driving a pair of Q Accoustics 3020's - with a caption something like ' see how good music can sound with a £169 pair of speakers'.?

To my ears - pretty good actually. In another room they had a pair of the new Mission VX range (VX1 I think) being driven by Audiolab power amplifiers. And as above, I heard both the Tannoy Mercury 7.1 and the floorstanding Eclipse model driven by a Rega Elex-R. All similar prices, and not much difference but if I had to take a pair home, it would be the 3020's. ?

It is unlikley however, that anyone buying any of the above will be matching them with a £1000+ turntable and Sugden A21SE or the full Audiolab set up, or even the Rega stuff which at £1500 (for the Elex-R + Apollo-R) was the 'cheapest'.
Interesting. Thank you.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
CnoEvil said:
jonathanRD said:
In another room (I think it was Origin Live) they had an expensive looking turntable feeding a Sugden A21SE amp driving a pair of Q Accoustics 3020's - with a caption something like ' see how good music can sound with a £169 pair of speakers'.?

To my ears - pretty good actually. In another room they had a pair of the new Mission VX range (VX1 I think) being driven by Audiolab power amplifiers. And as above, I heard both the Tannoy Mercury 7.1 and the floorstanding Eclipse model driven by a Rega Elex-R. All similar prices, and not much difference but if I had to take a pair home, it would be the 3020's. ?

Just came back from the show - those speakers sounded pretty compressed to me......(dull lacking dynamics) they should have used the Elacs standmounts they're good.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The £300 floorstanders sounded pretty damn good considering their price! A few tracks exhibited a slightly boxy bass, but it might have been the recording as other tracks showed none of those signs, and sounded pretty meaty as far as bass was concerned.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts