Tales from the demo room - Onkyo 875, Yam 1700 B&W 685 theatre & MS Mezzo 2

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
Well, after reading hundreds of threads here and even posting a few, I finally ventured out to get some demos this week. Trouble is, I can't get all the components I want in the same shop! Anyway, here's where I'm at...

Went to Richer Sounds to try out Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 fronts and Mezzo centre paired with an Onkyo 875. Sounded ok for films but went to pure direct stereo for music and I was so disappointed by the Mezzo 2 speakers. They just seemed to lack any life and only occasionally showed any potential when driven hard. Maybe they're just not suited to the Onk 875 but I just feel that the speakers aren't doing the business.

Next went to a local dealer to hear the B&W 685 theatre with the Onk. I was getting nervous now as I began to think that I would be disappointed by these standmounts too. Would be a problem as I have no room for floorstanders. I'm around studios at work all day so I'm constantly exposed to cracking kit in ideal settings so it's always difficult to be satisfied with a HC / Hi-Fi set up at my budget!

Anyway, cut to demo 2 - Problem 1: Just sold their last 875... they had the speakers on Super Dreadnoughts but no receiver so we have to use a Yamaha of 'similar level' (maybe the 1700?). This time, started in direct stereo mode with my mix CD gingerly pressing play expecting to be disappointed. I needn't have worried - I was immediately impressed with the 685s; clear vocals, tight, thumping bass and a general soundstage that I just instantly took to. I have found my fronts and for the first time, I'm properly excited by this project.

Onto DVD's for 5.1 and for some reason, the HTM62 centre doesn't seem very clear, in fact, speech is quite muddy. Unfortunately, shop assistant can't figure out if it's one of the amp's settings or not but I put it down to the fact that it has just been pulled out of the box to be demo'd for me and hasn't been run in. I haven't got room for the 686's as rears so we ran M-1 rears which sounded fine to my ears.

The ASW608 Sub however, I wasn't so sure about - Nothing wrong with it per se but it felt quite loose and a bit boomy. My perception wasn't helped by the guy plugging in the PV1 for a spell! That sounded tight as a duck's proverbial in comparison (it should do at over 3 times the price!).

So, I have my 5 speakers chosen with a question mark over the .1 - I'm still keen to get the Onkyo 875 even though I can't put it in the same shop as the speakers at the moment. I'd also like to consider the Arcam AVR350 now that it's down to £599 but nowhere around here has it.

I think my only question now is over the sub - can anyone suggest an alternative to the B&W ASW608? Maybe I'm being harsh on it - I don't think I'd be disappointed with it but I'm willing to consider similarly priced subs. I have been pointed to one site selling the Quad L-Sub for £250 which seems like a bargain.

Just sharing my experience but if anyone has suggestions for alternative subs around the £300 mark

Thanks, guys.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd be interested in this too - I currently run the 685 fronts, HTM62 centre (think there must have been a problem with the one in your demo as I have no issue with it) and M1 rears as well due to space issues. At the moment I'm still running it with my old REL Q150E sub but will be looking to upgrade this soon. I'd read good things about the ASW608 and its bigger brother the ASW610 but haven't actually heard them yet...

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm fairly sure that something wasn't right in the whole equation with the centre speaker but didn't really have time to investigate it - I spent most of the hour testing stereo music performance leaving little time for 5.1 testing. The shop is going to run it in this week with some special test discs so I'll go back and give it another go and give the ASW608 a closer inspection - could just be that it was never going to sound great immediately after hearing the PV1!

However, I *will* be joining the 685 brigade - they sound great and the M-1's are perfectly adequate as rears. Maybe there are better ones around but this will be a medium term solution until we extend and have a bigger room at which point I might look at floorstanders for fronts and move the 685's to the rear.

Also, to mods - apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum - I was working really late last night and meant to post this in Home Cinema rather than Hifi but clicked the wrong one.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered the Yamaha RX-V3800? ÿIt's arguably closer in performance to the Onkyo and there are some fantastic deals available. ÿI hadn't considered it all originally, but was seduced by its charms (and great price!) ÿRead a few reviews and decided it was worth a listen. ÿNo regrets so far. ÿ

TRENDING THREADS