admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ive just read yet another post where someone has taken a Tacima out of their system to great improvement.

Is this a case of being different but not necessarily better?

Everyone seems to rave about how good these blocks are when first put in, take them out again months later and go, 'Oooh, thats better'.

Strange.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I toyed with the idea of adding a power conditioner to my system... But then I looked in the accessories section of this forum, and sure enough there were just as many complains about them, as their were raves. Never went there in the end, as I've enjoyed the sound of my system for the past ten years and see no reason to change.

I'm sure the thread is still over in the other section, so go take a look...

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I'll start by admitting I've never tried to take mine out of the system, so can't comment directly on that per se. But I think it's fairly well established that they are better suited for low-current componenets (ie sources), and certainly shouldn't be used with amplifiers.

A

Anonymous

Yes I concur,

My Tacima is connected to most of my gear except the amplifier, and is particularly noticeable on the TV picture quality ................

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
margetti:I'll start by admitting I've never tried to take mine out of the system, so can't comment directly on that per se. But I think it's fairly well established that they are better suited for low-current componenets (ie sources), and certainly shouldn't be used with amplifiers.

Does anybody know why this is? What is it doing to an amplifier to negatively affect the sound quality? - I have read the term 'strangling' used before but don't quite follow what is actually happening to the amp in technical terms?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
It cuts the amount of current available to the amp, so it can't reach the peaks of performance. This doesn't matter to other components that don't need to draw a lot of power.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
the_lhc:It cuts the amount of current available to the amp, so it can't reach the peaks of performance. This doesn't matter to other components that don't need to draw a lot of power.

Oh right, so how is the sound likely to be affected? Reduced bass control, reduced top end clarity, that sort of thing? I have my LX-83 plugged into one, so I'm guessing I'd be better to take it straight out tonight and plug directly into the wall socket?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:
the_lhc:It cuts the amount of current available to the amp, so it can't reach the peaks of performance. This doesn't matter to other components that don't need to draw a lot of power.

Oh right, so how is the sound likely to be affected? Reduced bass control, reduced top end clarity, that sort of thing? I have my LX-83 plugged into one, so I'm guessing I'd be better to take it straight out tonight and plug directly into the wall socket?

Try it and see, it's the only way to know for sure.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:

Others will be able to explain it better than I (especially trevor79 if he's around) but it's down to the current the amp needs to draw when there are sudden and/or large changes in volume - the tacima restricts the amount of current the amp can draw and thus the dynamic range is impaired.

As the_lhc says, try it and see what you prefer...
emotion-1.gif

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
margetti:gdavies09031977:

Others will be able to explain it better than I (especially trevor79 if he's around) but it's down to the current the amp needs to draw when there are sudden and/or large changes in volume - the tacima restricts the amount of current the amp can draw and thus the dynamic range is impaired.

As the_lhc says, try it and see what you prefer...
emotion-1.gif

It's not really limiting the current as such - it's more to do with the choke (the round coil thing seen under the clear plastic panel) intended to reduce/eliminate RF... it tends to restrict amplifier dynamics, but (for many) works wonders with digital sources like PVR's, plasma's, DVD/BR/CD players. In better mains conditioners with separate filtering systems, chokes are generally avoided for analogue devices, yet included for digital specific sources.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i have tried my with and without and even my denon amp passes through far better picture with the amp plugged into the cleaner and the sound has not changed on movies and xbox so i kept it horses for courses all that.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
6th.replicant:FWIW, recently removed a Tacima from my hifi setup and replaced it with a humble MasterPlug surge protector - now hearing a more open and cleaner sound overall
emotion-2.gif

Although I should add credit where credit's due: the 'MasterPlug solution' was discovered by Rick @ Musicraft, while Chebby was the early adopter whose lead(!) I followed
emotion-1.gif

SteveR750

I find my deskjet printer is more vivid when its plugged into my Tacima. I also find ironing easier too when connected into it, usually between 7 and 9 on a sunday evening. Must be the economy 7 kicking in, less phase distortion, and the electrons are faster in the evening (well who isn't)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:I find my deskjet printer is more vivid when its plugged into my Tacima. I also find ironing easier too when connected into it, usually between 7 and 9 on a sunday evening. Must be the economy 7 kicking in, less phase distortion, and the electrons are faster in the evening (well who isn't)

HAWHAHWHAHWHAW!!!!1!

I don't get it?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:
6th.replicant:FWIW, recently removed a Tacima from my hifi setup and replaced it with a humble MasterPlug surge protector - now hearing a more open and cleaner sound overall
emotion-2.gif

Hi 6th.replicant

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Greetings, Maestro
emotion-2.gif

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have two Tacima's on different systems and not really noticed any differences either way. Maybe my systems are not hi-end enough or maybe it doesn't matter. Even so it is useful to have a masterplug for all those extra electronics. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts