System sounds better at low/mid volume

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I have Marantz 6000ose and a NAD 320bee through Epos M12, I often find the sound a little bright, however recently, when listening mostly at night, the system sounds much better, to me anyway. It tends to be on lower volumes due to the listening time, is the harshness/brightness something that could be emphasised at higer volume? I never listen very loud, but certainly seems to sound more rounded at a lower volume. Any thoughts?

Thanks

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:
You are more relaxed at night, more wine, less distractions

Less noise on the mains (ducking for cover!!)

emotion-21.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
1978:Good systems should sound good or nice at any volume level unless cranked up to max.

That's one area that hi-end really outperforms budget kit.

radovantz

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
stanleyk:

I never listen very loud, but certainly seems to sound more rounded at a lower volume. Any thoughts?

Same thought.. i realised that we are not looking for loudness, so I always set the volume where it sounds best.

idc

I am sure later night listening is a better experience, but I would consider getting an attenuator. It will match the voltage of the CDP to the amp and it means you get more control with the volume. The effect is to amke your system sound louder at the same volume as it was before. That means small details become clearer. What Hifi just reviewed the Russ Andrews attenuator positively, but it is £90 odd. There are cheaper versions from Golden Jacks and Rothwell. You need to find the voltage out put of the CDP and input of the amp to find out the level of attenuation you need, but 10db is a standard.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
The size of your room may play a part- at low levels the room acoustics have less influence and you'll hear more 'direct' bass from the speakers. Crank it up a bit and your Epos may be having trouble filling the space, or interference modes with your particular acoustics may be detracting from things. Try fiddling with positioning and see if that makes a difference.

A

Anonymous

Since the NAD C3200BEE amplifier is 50 watts 8 ohms RMS and the Epos 12i are 87dB Sensitivity 8 ohm, amplifier compatibility 50-150 Watts. I woud suspect amplifier clipping at high volume levels. Amplifier clipping is often described as making the music sound harsh grating, and at lower volume levels the amplifier would stop clipping and the music sound better.

stanleyk

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
They are the older M12, purchased second hand, so I need to look at upgrading the amp then? That is annoying, I thought it might just be the Marantz brighter sound that was doing this. I guess the obvious would be to downgrade the speakers, but fear I may lose to much on what I paid for them within the last 12 months, oh dear!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts