System matching help!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Being new to the hi-fi scene, i recently purchased an Arcam CD73 on the strength of some promising reviews. Seems a good decision so far as i got it for a good price and it sounds great to my untrained ears even though the rest of my system is desparately due an upgrade. I think a new amp is next on my agenda and on visiting my local Hi-Fi store i was told that the logical choice was an Arcam... Great, i thought, what could be simpler!! I was offered an A70 to match my CD73 at a discounted price. I then remembered i had read some reviews on the A70 stating that it was a little... erm... reserved and gutless i think i remember were some of the terms used (think i recall it being compared to pipe and slippers by a certain WHF reviewer also). Have heard good things about the FMJ series but they may be a little over my budget. The A70 is a tempting solution for price and aesthetic reasons and i would obviously test the Arcam before a purchase but i certainly don't want to have a sound that doesn't excite, therefore i need a shortlist of similarly priced amps (up to about £500) to audition that would go well with my CD73.

Does anyone have an opinion on the CD73 and A70 combination or have any suggestions on an amplifier or indeed speakers (preferably standmounts for up to about £400) to partner my lonely player??? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'm not the biggest arcam amplifier fan but a lot of people on this forum are. Have a listen to it (A70). That really is the only way to find out. If you are looking to spend 1k (amp/speaker) then I'd say forget arcam and buy AVI or Rega.

A

Anonymous

Nice cd player, you might find the all arcam system suits you depending on what you listen to.

Amplifiers that might be more exiting would be the cambridge audio 740a £499 or my choice would be to find a deal on a cyrus 6. But the major factor in all this is what speakers do you have or plan to have.

if you are set on the arcam pairing maybe go for some slightly brighter speakers such as the monitor audio rs6 to liven things up a bit.

So really need to know about your speakers, music taste and room size/characteristics

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matt444_2000:

Nice cd player, you might find the all arcam system suits you depending on what you listen to.

Amplifiers that might be more exiting would be the cambridge audio 740a

?
emotion-1.gif

if you are set on the arcam pairing maybe go for some slightly brighter speakers such as the monitor audio rs6 to liven things up a bit.

... stop it there
emotion-2.gif

So really need to know about your speakers, music taste and room size/characteristics

A

Anonymous

whats up drummer man, you dont like cyrus or monitor audio???

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.

Listen to mainly rock, room is about 3.5m x 4.5m so was leaning towards standmounts or small floorstanders (e.g. Rega r3). Any suggestions for amp or speakers for my shortlist?

matthewpiano

Listen to the A70 for a long time before you committ to buying one, and do so with your CD73. The CD73 is an excellent machine but has a slightly thick mid-range which is completely over-exaggerated by the overly warm and sedate sound of the A70. I had this combo briefly and had to sell it because it just didn't do it for me. To be honest, I think the amp is pretty awful. I'd second suggestions to partner your CD73 with either Cyrus or the CA 740A. As for speakers, I can only recommend the MS914i floorstanders or MS902i bookshelves because they are the only speakers I've really been completely satisfied with. Other speakers I've had but not got on with are MA BR2, Quad 11L, and KEF Crestas.

Auditioning is the key.

A

Anonymous

Will give the A70 a listen but doesn't sound like it would suit me. The 740A looks promising though so will definitely give it an audition along with a Cyrus although it may be a little over my budget. Do you think the 740A would be a good match for my CD73 (having owned one yourself)?

Also like the look of the MS 914i and notice they are only half the price of the amp. Don't want the speakers to limit the system but will definitely give these a try. Thanks

A

Anonymous

You should be able to get a cyrus 6 for £500 if you hunt around (maybe ex demo). A system including the cyrus/cambridge audio, your cd73 and the rega r3 you mentioned would be a killer system.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the help.

If i'm spending £500 i may as well spend a little more for the right amp. Was thinking i might be able to up the budget a little. From what i've seen there is a lot more choice for around £650 (Roksan Kandy/Cyrus/CA 840A maybe) and not wanting to regret my purchase, might be a good idea to audition some of these too. As for speakers, will give the R3's a go but any other idea's would be very welcome.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
ProAc Tablette Reference 8 speakers will go well with the 73 and your music taste. I would also be tempted to get an Arcam FMJ A38 amp, going for £689 I think brand new at Lintone Audio on eBay. This is nearly half price.

A

Anonymous

Just been looking at the Arcam (A32 i think, not A38) and has some good reviews. Had gone off the idea of an Arcam but am seriously tempted. Anyone know how this would compare to CA 840a or Cyrus 6 or 8???

matthewpiano

Gears of Law:
Will give the A70 a listen but doesn't sound like it would suit me. The 740A looks promising though so will definitely give it an audition along with a Cyrus although it may be a little over my budget. Do you think the 740A would be a good match for my CD73 (having owned one yourself)?

Also like the look of the MS 914i and notice they are only half the price of the amp. Don't want the speakers to limit the system but will definitely give these a try. Thanks

I have heard CD73 with the 740A and it sounds excellent (though not quite as good as with the 740C which has a more honest midrange than the Arcam).

The MS 914is punch well above their price and don't limit the CA gear IMO. It makes for a well balanced system. I listen to a huge range of music and they handle the dynamic swings and timbral complexity of a large scale orchestral recording as brilliantly as the drive of The Who and the rhythms of Herbie Hancock. Its taken me a long time to reach a point where I'm satisfied with my hi-fi. With my present system I get home from work every night and just enjoy listening to the music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts