System for £3K

Pitcarity

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for reading this first time post. I have a budget of around £3K and I need a CD player, amp and speakers. I've thought about a 'all in one' system but I'm out of touch with the scene. My last system was Primare A30.1 and D30.2 with Proac Response D15. The reason that I sold this system is the move to a smaller house with my new room measuring 4 x 3 metres. I loved that sound, I hate harshness and sibilance but I do love bass.

Any advice much appreciated.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the fun!
Can I ask how close the speakers will be to the back wall? This is going to affect the presentation of bass. It may be that in a 4 x 3 room front-ported speakers will work best. In any case, I'd focus on the speakers first.
Matt

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Pitcarity said:
Thanks Matt, I have plenty of room to site them away from the back wall,

If you want bass, I'd give serious consideration to a pair of Sonus Faber Venere speakers. They have a beautifully sweet treble and mid-range, and they can do bass. They're not at all bright or dry or fatiguing.

The Venere 1.5 standmounts are £1K. You could match them with high quality amplification and get great sound. Or you could go for the 2.5 floorstanders at £2K, which will give you deeper bass extension.

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Two very good calls in the last couple of replies.

Different methodologies but outstanding results in both cases..... :grin:

A couple of random thoughts;

The ADM9 has digital inputs, so a 'better' transport could be used.

Try pairing the smaller Venere with the baby Sugden amplifier, if you want refinement, not sure what to suggest if you want more power/weight.

Given that you are buying from scratch, why are you not looking at streaming options?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The AVI ADM9 speakers with the matching AVI subwoofer are worth considering. They include amplifiers, a DAC, analogue and digital inputs and a remote control for the volume/source selection etc. They cost about £2200.

Just add a CD player or other source of you choice and you'd be ready to go.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The AVI ADM9 speakers with the matching AVI subwoofer are worth considering. They include amplifiers, a DAC, analogue and digital inputs and a remote control for the volume/source selection etc. They cost about £2200. Just add a CD player or other source of you choice and you'd be ready to go.

Perhaps with the Marantz CR610 as a multi source all in one?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Pitcarity said:
Thanks for reading this first time post. I have a budget of around £3K and I need a CD player, amp and speakers. I've thought about a 'all in one' system but I'm out of touch with the scene. My last system was Primare A30.1 and D30.2 with Proac Response D15. The reason that I sold this system is the move to a smaller house with my new room measuring 4 x 3 metres. I loved that sound, I hate harshness and sibilance but I do love bass.

Any advice much appreciated.

Naim UnitiLite all-in-one £1650 (or version with built-in FM/DAB tuner £1895 if you value radio as well). £1100 - £1300 left over for speakers.

This gives you the option to stream (wirelessly or ethernet connected) and it has an integrated CD player too. (If you want to continue to play CDs.)

Creek Evolution 50A £700 ( + £100 if you want the optional 'Ambit' FM/AM module.) There is also a 'Ruby' DAC module coming soon but I don't think you can have both optional modules together. Add a Creek Evolution 2 CD Player (£750). Leaves you £1450 - £1550 for speakers.

I have no experience of your old Pro-Acs, so I can't recommend similar sounding loudspeakers. (I guess some smaller Pro-Acs like the Response D2s or D1s would be logical in a smaller space.)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd be looking at Neat for speakers, probably the Petites or the Motives. Be a good idea to try at home if you can.

For amps, Chebby's suggestions sound good, but I'd spend more on the speakers than the rest of the gear.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'd suggest looking into Dynaudio Excite X32 for the speakers. Warm yet detailed speakers with plenty of bass. Award winning speakers. Spend the rest on Roksan Kandy amp and CDP. MIght be a little over budget but if you shop around it's close to your 3k budget.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

You used to have an excellent, well chosen system...so the bar is set high.

If it was me, I'd get to know a dealer with good second hand and ex-dem stuff.

Through my dealer at the moment, I could for example do:

Electrocompaniet PC-1 (ex-dem).........£825

Musical Fidelity M3i (ex-dem)................£799

Spendor A3...............................................£1395

Kef R500 / R300 (good bass}...............£1500 / £1000

FWIW. I also like the idea of SF Venere or more Proacs (ex-dem).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jaxwired said:
I'd suggest looking into Dynaudio Excite X32 for the speakers. Warm yet detailed speakers with plenty of bass. Award winning speakers. Spend the rest on Roksan Kandy amp and CDP. MIght be a little over budget but if you shop around it's close to your 3k budget.

Hi jaxwired (and sorry OP),

A little off topic. I noticed the W4S amp in your sig. Please feel free to share your impressions (in a separate thread, of course). Is it even better than the M2? :O

martimu

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Given you liked how your old system sounded. Why not go for something similar using a smaller pair of Proacs that are more sorted to your room? e.g. a D1 or 2.

Had you tried your pervious system in your new room? If so what was the the problem, bass boom etc?

The issue with going for actives is you cannot just change the speakers if you move rooms/house again and they don't work in the new space.

I just feel as you had a sound you loved and there is so much choice at 3k that would be a good place to start!

Pitcarity

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for some great suggestions. I'll answer a few questions. No streamer because I have hundreds of CDs and can't be bothered to rip them. I also have an LP12 for vinyl. The Proac D15's were BIG and just overpowered the room. I have thought about a unitilite but don't know much about Naim in 2013, they always used to be bright. I also like the idea of less boxes and all those cables so I may try the Naim. I also liked the active speaker idea but not the sub, probably too bass light I guess. I saw a good deal advertised for an all Rega system, anybody any experience with that set up.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
A Rega system would be very musical and worth a listen. I heard an Apollo R, Dac, Brio R and RS3 combo that sounded amazing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts