System Experimentation is Worthwhile

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Whilst the significant other is away for a couple of days I have decided to take what limited time I have available to have a ‘play' with some of the bits and pieces I have been accumulating over the last month. Sadly, I only have two evenings and the neighbours are in!

I picked up a second CD63 KI Sig with Russ Andrews Yello power lead, and then a second 8000S amp with a QED Qonduit mains cable and level 2 upgrade, all for less than a third the original price I paid.

The QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-wire I bought remains untried as it is completely unterminated, and the Chord Company flatline gold bi-wire is too short to stretch to both speakers, being only 2.5m (well, at least it was a freebie). Maybe another day.

However, the VDH Teatrack hybrid bi-wire has fitted in easily as an alternative to my original bi-wire. Then there are the Chord Company Cobra (black, so probably not the Cobra 3), and also the dnm reson, interconnects.

So, in the less than perfect surroundings of our living room, I have tried various combinations in a rather haphazard way. Far from ideal, but the clock is ticking and systematic does not fit into the timescale! Not altogether unsurprisingly, I have now settled on the ‘new' separates, with their modifications, as being a significant step forward.

The rejigged ensemble has added a new dimension, opening everything up and revealing extra detail in each track I try - there is an increased impression of music filling the wall, but with distinct separation of its components. Even the speakers seem to have been reined in a touch in the flabby bass department (though not altogether).

The challenge really is deciding on what to do with the interconnects. The dnm reson brings out the higher frequencies well, emphasising clarity, but I have already noticed that this can be over-emphasised (the various chiming clocks on Pink Floyd's Time were somewhat overwhelming!) and yet they seem to complement female vocals, acoustic guitar or classical music. If I try the Cobra or the original Cable Talk cables the life ebbs a little (too much?) - the top end is not as bright and potentially less wearing.

Overall, I believe I have some definite improvements, but there is scope for further tweaks. For one thing, the components need to be moved off the coffee table I've used temporarily and onto firmer ground (good old Tesco granite kitchenware). I hope the cabinet can take all that weight!

And isn't all this comparison lark a faff? Swapping the speaker cables over, swapping between interconnects, swapping between separates and back. Trying first this CD in that player and then in that one. Not so bad if you have all day, I suppose, but a couple of evenings?! And I've got to get the living room back resembling the state it was in previously. That said, tonight I simply must try a proper comparison between normal power leads and the improved versions.

matthewpiano

It certainly is worthwhile and can be great fun as well. Glad you're seeing some positive changes.

I've done loads of this experimentation over the last couple of years and I've enjoyed a lot of it, but it does get a bit tiring in the end and starts to detract from the music. Now I've got the sound I was looking for I'm leaving well alone.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:It certainly is worthwhile and can be great fun as well. Glad you're seeing some positive changes. I've done loads of this experimentation over the last couple of years and I've enjoyed a lot of it, but it does get a bit tiring in the end and starts to detract from the music. Now I've got the sound I was looking for I'm leaving well alone.

Eminently sensible. I just know my current core components are capable of better, but are limited by circumstances. It's really not worth me spending large sums on even better source kit. Therefore, I just need to make a few adjustments here and there. Of course, that's a whole different slippery slope. The various threads on accessories are proof enough of that.

At least with the spare kit I can try different possibilities with a little extra ease.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
ESP, Sounds like you're experimenting with too many changes at once. I agree that all the swapping can get tiresome. You should only make one change at a time and give yourself awhile to live with each change before deciding. I've found that I sometimes let the excitement of something new impact my assessment and I'll like the equipment much more in week 1 than in week 16.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with you there, Jaxwired, but I have to take my opportunities when I can. However, I will keep your comments in mind - common sense should prevail...eventually.
emotion-5.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Spurred on by the previous evening's successes, I decided to have another go. This was the last chance before I would have to reset until the next scheduled absence.
emotion-5.gif

This time I hooked up the Marantz to the upgraded 8000S with the DNM interconnects, but without the higher spec mains leads, and used the VDH Teatrack hybrids to link to the speakers. The sound was good - pretty much as I would expect.

Next, I added in power leads: the Yello to the Marantz and and QED Qonduit to the 8000S. Whilst not what I would call spectacular (no "WOW!" factor), there was something of a change, a discernible improvement. The overall sound increased in dynamics, becoming just that extra bit meatier, whilst adding a degree of three-dimensionality and space. So what happens if...

...I swapped the power cables over: Marantz-QED and 8000S-Yello. Another change: the sound was brighter and maybe even more spacious. However, I quickly decided it had lost out elsewhere. Besides which, I could imagine listening becoming less relaxing because I believe there was a harshness that isn't worthy of the Marantz.

So, back to the Marantz-Yello and 8000S-QED combo. Yes, preferable, but the DNM Reson still seemed to over-emphasise the treble, making some vocals and the cymbals just too sibilant. A quick swap later and the Cabletalk Studio was ready to perform. That was better, taking the edge off, relaxing things somewhat. So, what of the Cobra? Well, suffice it to say that, for the moment anyway, this is the interconnect of choice. I found that the Studio took just that little bit too much away, whereas the Cobra struck the balance quite nicely. The music now sounded more relaxed and less 'in your face', but retained definition and a more natural overall sound. I wonder what the Cobra 3 is like..?

With that decided, I then had the 'fun' of stuffing everything back into the unit, which took way longer than I would like...and I still have to get the Teatrack cables to run under the carpet across the doorway before the cat returns to find the mouse has been at play!
emotion-5.gif

By the way, it may be a while before I can face Beverley Craven's 'Promise Me' again. I just wish I had more time to test a wider cross-section of music against the different cable combinations. One thing was noticeable, however. I have one of the early CD releases of Pink Floyd's 'The Wall'. I was disappointed to find that the changes I made had less impact on the sound of this classic, specifically 'Comfortably Numb' I had hoped new life would be breathed into the music, but maybe a re-mastered version would be better suited. It just goes to show that the choice of music can determine your perception of the system's performance and any changes made thereto. But, hey, it's all subjective and my hearing must be deteriorating by now, so I recommend you get some bargains on Fleabay and try it out for yourself...the next time you have a few hours to yourself (and the other half hasn't handed you a list of DIY projects!)
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS