System buying

Tromso

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi I am looking to get back into Hifi as opposed to AV. So am looking to purchase CD/Amp/Speakers combo.

Almost purely for space considerations I am looking at the Cyrus brand and the 8 Dac amp with either the CDi or CD T player to ATC 11 speakers on Atacama stands. As the 8 has a dac would I be losing anything by getting the CD T?

What are the best interconnects to use and suggestions for speaker cable (3 Metre) would be appreciated.

Most of my local hifi shops seem to have deleted Cyrus as a brand. |s there something going on here?

Eventually I'll add an ATC C1C and link my AV pre outs to the Cyrus 8 amp for left and right leaving the old B& W M1s as effects.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Tromso said:
Hi I am looking to get back into Hifi as opposed to AV. So am looking to purchase CD/Amp/Speakers combo.

Almost purely for space considerations I am looking at the Cyrus brand and the 8 Dac amp with either the CDi or CD T player to ATC 11 speakers on Atacama stands. As the 8 has a dac would I be losing anything by getting the CD T?

What are the best interconnects to use and suggestions for speaker cable (3 Metre) would be appreciated.

Most of my local hifi shops seem to have deleted Cyrus as a brand. |s there something going on here?

Eventually I'll add an ATC C1C and link my AV pre outs to the Cyrus 8 amp for left and right leaving the old B& W M1s as effects.

great choice.i would use chord shawline interconnect £180 and the chord clearaway speaker wire.if you have the CDT try the clearer audio silver digital £200.the atc 11 are amazing speakers you will love them.Also try the Cyrus psx m2 power supply with the CD player makes alot of difference but it's £600

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure each and every brand has issues with quality from time to time. My own experience is that my amp, purchased new in 2001 has never put a foot wrong, and my second hand CD player has been fabulous in the 18 months or so I've had it.

Tromso

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the input.

I've found an Ixos Ixotica DX2 coaxial at a very good price so bought it and coaxial is what Cyrus recommend.

Still deliberating on speaker cable as I can't get to audition many types. The Van Den Hul clearwater seems good.

My apologies guy's,not trying to start another negative manufacturer thread.it's just I was very undecided between naim and cyrus when I was looking to upgrade from my then arcam kit and just seemed to read more than the average review /Wright up about issues with mostly their cd players which in the end turned me more to the naim camp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never had problem other than with a cyrus cd player where a part regulating power to the tray mechanism failed. Fixed it myself. This is the second time round I have a cyrus system.

Personally, if in the future you get a PSX-R or two, I'd use it first on the amplifier. Much recommended but it does add components.

As to certain shops not stocking the brand, nothing sinister is going on. Cyrus has been under different Directorship for a while and I guess they are re-negotiating Dealer Terms with some maybe not being happy with the result and/or Cyrus deciding they want to spread themselves more thinly/deliberate.

Cables ... trial and error. Personally I use Profigold Oxypure for interconnects and NACA5 for speaker cable. QED for Toslink.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
My apologies guy's,not trying to start another negative manufacturer thread.it's just I was very undecided between naim and cyrus when I was looking to upgrade from my then arcam kit and just seemed to read more than the average review /Wright up about issues with mostly their cd players which in the end turned me more to the naim camp.

Not a problem.

Our opinions on hifi are usually formed through experience, good or bad.

A very nice Naim system you have.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I love naim.yes he should be considering this too

Gray

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your proposed choices Tromso.

I'm still using a 14 year old, original 8 amp. Never a problem and sounding great these days via PMC twenty 21 speakers.

Years ago I had a Cyrus factory visit and a very impressive operation it was too. (I can say that having since worked for two other leading hi-fi manufacturers)

I have heard one or two hints that things may not be quite what they were but there are negative stories about most companies aren't there? It wouldn't put me off.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Gray said:

I'm still using  a 14 year old, original 8 amp. Never a problem and sounding great these days via PMC twenty 21 speakers.

Years ago I had a Cyrus factory visit and a very impressive operation it was too. (I can say that having since worked for two other leading hi-fi manufacturers) 

I have heard one or two hints that things may not be quite what they were but there are negative stories about most companies aren't there? It wouldn't put me off.
may I ask which are the two manufacturers you worked for

Gray

seemorebtts said:
Gray said:

I'm still using a 14 year old, original 8 amp. Never a problem and sounding great these days via PMC twenty 21 speakers.

seemorebtts I had short periods with Monitor Audio (Speaker Production / QC) and Rega (Amp Final Testing ) Production line work was not for me though. No doubt they felt the same since both companies flourished after I left them!

Next stop Maplin's 'Get you working' service for their kits - designed by boffins, built by beginners - with me in the middle. Sitting there with a pile of 'birds nest' wiring, soldered by matches....suddenly those previous jobs seemed good.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Gray said:
seemorebtts said:
Gray said:

I'm still using  a 14 year old, original 8 amp. Never a problem and sounding great these days via PMC twenty 21 speakers.

seemorebtts I had short periods with Monitor Audio (Speaker Production / QC) and Rega (Amp Final Testing ) Production line work was not for me though. No doubt they felt the same since both companies flourished after I left them!

Next stop Maplin's 'Get you working' service for their kits - designed by boffins, built by beginners - with me in the middle. Sitting there with a pile of 'birds nest' wiring, soldered by matches....suddenly those previous jobs seemed good.
excellent.i too have been to Cyrus. Quite a small team.this was about 4 years ago.iv be making electrical stuff for hi-fi for years.started making transformers for Arcam then making circuit boards for them.if you have an Arcam alpha then you have one of my transformers I made in it.i have a few friends at meridian audio and I still make circuit boards for ear yoshino and cedar audio.cant seem to get away from it:)

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
And from me also, not trying to start a to-do!

As for Naim, they are on my list. Next step for me in 18 months or so, is a big purchase in the amp department, and a big purchase in the speaker department. I don't think I'll ever replace the CD player due to lack of use.

ive heard a couple of bits of Naim kit, and do like them. I've also recently acquired some Rega, and have been blown away, so it could well be that I look in that direction too.

The OP is in the rather wonderful position of having lots of choice.... fun times!!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The latest Naim stuff with their top controls look nice.

To the OP, Cyrus looks very smart in a home environment, maybe not so in a show room compared to the big boxes.

TRENDING THREADS