System and Room envy ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I just made the mistake of heading over to PFM and the 'System Pics 2016' thread.

OMG.

There is some truly awesome stuff, a lot of money and some beautiful rooms.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I would love to look.

but, can't upgrade for another five years, so it would be torture.

I'm already building my next (and last) system in my head.

Five years to go...

Five years until Mrs Bigfish will allow it or five years until the current, massive Hifi loan is paid off? *biggrin*

I was daft (or fortunate) enough to get myself a new car a few weeks ago. So I will be paying that off for the next 5 years. Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome, but when I'm home, listening to music, reading on here, I get the odd urge to upgrade! But, I'm financially tied till the car is paid off.

Until then, I'll be enjoying what I have. Then, I'll treat myself to a new setup.

At the mo, it's looking like a leema pre-power combo, a step up the focal speaker line-up, and possibly a newer Simaudio CD player, as all I'd like to do is have the best of what I already have. Plus, if I can get an oracle Delphi , and sme arm as well, that'll be me done.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I was daft (or fortunate) enough to get myself a new car a few weeks ago. So I will be paying that off for the next 5 years. Don't get me wrong, the car is awesome, but when I'm home, listening to music, reading on here, I get the odd urge to upgrade! But, I'm financially tied till the car is paid off.

Until then, I'll be enjoying what I have. Then, I'll treat myself to a new setup.

At the mo, it's looking like a leema pre-power combo, a step up the focal speaker line-up, and possibly a newer Simaudio CD player, as all I'd like to do is have the best of what I already have. Plus, if I can get an oracle Delphi , and sme arm as well, that'll be me done.

You have a very nice system as is. No need to feel anything but good about it imho.

However, had I to choose between a new car and hifi ...

drummerman said:
bigfish786 said:

You have a very nice system as is. No need to feel anything but good about it imho.

However, had I to choose between a new car and hifi ...

i agree, whole heartedly. I am very happy with what I have, and enjoy it very much.

and when I do start on the final upgrade path, it will take a while. But will definitely be worth the wait.

bigfish786 said:

Oracle Delphi? Hold that thought. :)

The SME IV it comes fitted with is, however, overpriced.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Some very nice systems and houses .... but can't get over why some think it's ok to have cables lying in the middle of the room ... and on some systems, the hifi equipment : IKEA Besta/Lack price ratio seems very high :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd be more inclined to want to hear what my own system can deliver in a well-treated room. I've heard enough different speakers in my current house to be able to tell how the room itself is affecting the sound. Sonically (and sometimes otherwise) the biggest mistake I ever made was bashing down the dividing wall between the lounge and the dining room. It doubled the size of the room but otherwise it was a backward step.

busb said:
Some great systems indeed! Was struck by how many sets of speakers were so close to walls.

You'll be amazed at the number of speakers that do actually work in that position. Don't believe the hype. All positioning is relative to you, and the room itself. Mine are a darned site closer than recommend and the sound is just fine. I am sure if I live in a barn they might sound even better.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
busb said:
Some great systems indeed! Was struck by how many sets of speakers were so close to walls.

You'll be amazed at the number of speakers that do actually work in that position. Don't believe the hype.  All positioning is relative to you, and the room itself. Mine are a darned site closer than recommend  and the sound is just fine. I am sure if I live in a barn they might sound even better.

At the recomended distance and my misses said i wish it had more beat so i moved closer to the wall but it sounded very bad

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
I would love to look.

but, can't upgrade for another five years, so it would be torture.

I'm already building my next (and last) system in my head.

Five years to go...

Be interesting to see how things change over the next 5 years , more all in one amp,dac,streamer solutions methinks .

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Have you seen the "bits and bobs" thread on the tent dwellers website Drummerman? That's a bit of an eye opener, might take you a little while to get through though, it's on 717 pages and counting at the moment.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Have you seen the "bits and bobs" thread on the tent dwellers website Drummerman? That's a bit of an eye opener, might take you a little while to get through though, it's on 717 pages and counting at the moment.

Not yet but I will. Thanks for the tip.

Also nice to see Grommit declaring a bit of cyrus love.

We need more of that on here :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
busb said:

You'll be amazed at the number of speakers that do actually work in that position. Don't believe the hype. All positioning is relative to you, and the room itself. Mine are a darned site closer than recommend and the sound is just fine. I am sure if I live in a barn they might sound even better.

At the recomended distance and my misses said i wish it had more beat so i moved closer to the wall but it sounded very bad

It's going to be very room dependent. Although my livingroom is a fair size with 3 sash windows, my speakers are on either side of a fireplace on floorboards. They are over 18" out & are quite deep. If it wasn't for the fireplace creating recesses either side they would be stuck well out into the room. The Quadrals are easily the largest speakers I've ever owned by quite a margin. I will try inching them back but I do hate boom. My 2 seater is 60% down the room from the fireplace.

Compared to the Arros, these Quadrals do tend to boom less & have more extended bass that underpins even TV ads with some rather satisfying tight bottom end that my system had always lacked. The ribbon tweeters do give a hell of a lot more detail without being bright which sounds contradictory. I cannot exaggerate how impresserd I am with Quadral as a brand, having 1st heard them at Bristol a couple of years back. I was particularly struck by their ribbon tweeter technology.

I'm looking foward to hearing the Arros in my friend's ground floor flat - he has them much closer to the rear wall.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What proportion of the systems on that head-fi thread have turntables on floor mounted stands in close proximity to speakers?

On the first page it's 100%.

How clever is that? Spending all that money on a high end system and then positioning the TT so that it can pick up a good dollop of vibration from the speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

Cheers Steve.

Yes, some impressive looking and no doubt dust attracting hifi stuff on there.

Oddly enough, one of my favorites (so far) has to be Zuerst's system on page 6. Looks very nice and simple. However, its not real hifi. There is no turntable. - Still, with a little bit of re-arranging, there would be enough space in one of the cubbyholes for an SL7 or 10 ... .

TRENDING THREADS