Synology DS213j - Setting Up

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I feel a bit of an idiot!

I've loaded the 2 hard drives, connected the unit to my network, switched the unit on & accessed the findmysynology web site to download the latest software. So far so good.

At an early stage it asked me for a user name & whether I wanted to use a password. I typed in the user name, declined the use of a password & moved on.

All was going swimmingly until it asked me for my user name again. I've forgotten it. I've tried all my usual user names without success.

How can I identify what my user name is? :wall:

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
There's been a development. Going in to Synology Assistant, which I have also downloaded, it gives the name of my server as DiskStation. But when I insert this in to the space for my user name & try to continue, it won't let me.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The best way is to let the user as defult "admin" and just add a pass word.

now, you have a little reset botton on the back of the diskstation just press it for a few seconds and will reset your user and password, and you can get in the NAS again just as "admin" and with no password, and just restart your cofiguration.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for your help. I seem to be connected. The next stage is to rip a CD on to it. Is it possible to create a 'classical music' folder a 'pop misic folder', a 'jazz' folder, etc? And is there any point?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can imagine what you can do with that wonderful machine, but you will in a few month! :grin:

you can do everything that you described abouve.

Mine is organise by folders that i created:

"Classica + filmes" means Classic + movies (sound tracks)

"Meninos" is children my sons folder

"Natal" is christmas albums

"Tudo" is everything else...

This are fotos from the DS Audio App in my ipad.

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Very helpful. Many thanks.

I'm wading through the instruction manual. I'v got as far as chapter 8.

I thought that I would also try to rip a CD losslesly & directly to my new Synology device.

When I try to do so, my computer claims not to recognise the diskstation, even though it's clearly shown on the network list.

Is this something that I need to be doing through my Synology DSM 4.3 page?

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, thanks, I've done that.

It seems to me that if I follow the instructions in chapter 9 of the user manual, of maping the drive, then I should be able to copy directly from the CD.

The trouble is that I'm having difficulties doing this either way suggested.

I've also ripped a CD in to my Pop Music folder but the Audio Station couldn't see it, even though it was clearly there in the File Station. The Audio Station would only see the album when I copied it accross to the default Music folder.

What am I doing wrong now?

You are correct when you said earlier that the more I use this bit of kit the more amazed I'll be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts