Synology Audio Station now supports Gapless Playback!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
DocG said:
Xanderzdad said:
I'm probably stating the obvious to you but don't just rely on mirrored drives for a backup as if you damage your music files it will duplicate the error to both - mirroring only helps if the drive fails.
I learnt this the hard way and removed the track name from 12,000 tracks and had the error mirrored to my 'backup' drive because it automatically synched!

The definition of 'experience': making mistakes and learning from them. Though it is obviously better still to learn from other peoples' mistakes! :shifty:

BTW: nice house you have!

So true - a good excuse to re-rip all the CD's to lossless and properly tag them all though.

Took me ages to figure out if you knew me / were a stalker after reading your 'nice house' comment until then remembered my avatar! :doh: It's a chateau we visited in Saumur, France.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
DocG said:
Xanderzdad said:
I'm probably stating the obvious to you but don't just rely on mirrored drives for a backup as if you damage your music files it will duplicate the error to both - mirroring only helps if the drive fails.
I learnt this the hard way and removed the track name from 12,000 tracks and had the error mirrored to my 'backup' drive because it automatically synched!

The definition of 'experience': making mistakes and learning from them. Though it is obviously better still to learn from other peoples' mistakes! :shifty:

BTW: nice house you have!

So true - a good excuse to re-rip all the CD's to lossless and properly tag them all though.

Took me ages to figure out if you knew me / were a stalker after reading your 'nice house' comment until then remembered my avatar! :doh: It's a chateau we visited in Saumur, France.

Don't worry... I live in a land, far, far away. ;)

Now, do you live in a nice house? :eek:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The DS213j arrived late this morning. About 15 mins to set it up -- an absolute doddle. Then a couple of mins to add it to the Sonos music library. Simples! Now copying all the music files onto the DS over ethernet. Looking at somewhere like 10 hours.

So tomorrow I'll be able to retire the old Buffalo Linkstation from its music server duties. It's actually done jolly well: 7/8 years of service without a hitch. (The problems all came from getting an outboard USB drive to work with it.)

I'm not planning to use all the fancy stuff on the DS just yet -- the Audio Station streaming software or the remote web access (though I can see the latter could be dead useful).

Once my Dev arrives I'm going to try to run it straight off the DS using Audio Station via USB -- I don't think it'll work, but it's worth a try. The alternative (which will definitely work) is to feed the Dev with one of my modded Sonos ZP90/Connect boxes via an S/PDIF-AES/EBU converter.

:cheers:

Matt

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Matt,

Does it run quiet? I mean: could you put it next to the hifi? Or is it somewhere in the garage, connected over UTP?

It runs very quiet, i've mine in the back of my rack and i forget complitly that it's there, only at night the blue led (ON) is noticed.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi Matt,

Does it run quiet? I mean: could you put it next to the hifi? Or is it somewhere in the garage, connected over UTP?

Hi Doc,

A very low hum from the disk, which is busy ATM. Just about audible at 2m.

I haven't decided where to put it yet. I could keep it away from the listening room (e.g. in my study) or in the AV cabinet in the listening room, which is closed when I have music on.

I'm impressed by the smoothness of the user experience so far; the set-up is easy-peasy.

Cheers,

Matt

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
not in warranty - get the apple logo and spinning thing just spinning

possibly hard drive?

It was easier with a cd player lol

You have upto 6 years to claim under the Sale of Goods Act maybe worth a go, I hear Apple are quite good with warranty repairs. Yes cdp are easier thats why I have kept my 20 year old one, seems more reliable than the modern ones to.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

possibly hard drive?

You have upto 6 years to claim under the Sale of Goods Act maybe worth a go, I hear Apple are quite good with warranty repairs. Yes cdp are easier thats why I have kept my 20 year old one, seems more reliable than the modern ones to.

it ws purchaesed used only paid 150 quid for it as it was only going to be used for music, maybe some hope, got a local mac guru gonna have a look for me

good job its vinyl most nights!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
BigH said:
stevebrock said:

possibly hard drive?

it ws purchaesed used only paid 150 quid for it as it was only going to be used for music, maybe some hope, got a local mac guru gonna have a look for me

good job its vinyl most nights!

OK then.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yes bad news on the Mac Mini front its dead forever
smiley-frown.gif
I could chuck another £200 at a used one, but looking at the Synology DS214se with 1 x 2TB WD Red drive thats DABS.com are doing for £203 - it will just soley hold my itunes library - will it be up to the job?

Link here http://www.dabs.com/products/synology-ds214se-2tb--1-x-2tb-wd-red--2-bay-desktop-nas-92X3.html?src="2"

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
That seemed to be a bit low spec to me. What put me off (when I did a comparison on the synology site yesterday) was the 800MHz CPU and only 256MB of RAM. Seems like the bare minimum. Granted the one I bought today - DS213J - is only 500MB and single core 1.2GHz but I stumped up the extra for it anyway. £159.99 for the DS213J and £74 x 2 for the WD 2TB drives. If you got the DS213J and only bought one drive like in the link that would be £233.99.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been living with a DS213J NAS for the last month or two. it's only used for music, stored on 2 x 4TB WD Red HDs. The NAS supplies a Devialet direct via USB and five Sonos zones via ethernet. I think the most we've had running at one time is five rooms of music, and all without a hitch.

TBH if there are going to be bottlenecks in the system (and there haven't been any yet), I don't think they'll be in the NAS.

:cheers:

Matt

iefbo

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I was wondering how you connect your SB to the Audio Station.

Can you help me out?

SB Servers works without any problem.

I have stopped the SB Server service and installed Audio stations, but no joy. I do not see the SB Classic in the DLNA client list.

Thanks!!!

Yves

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
iefbo said:
Hi there,

I was wondering how you connect your SB to the Audio Station.

Can you help me out?

SB Servers works without any problem.

I have stopped the SB Server service and installed Audio stations, but no joy. I do not see the SB Classic in the DLNA client list.

Thanks!!!

Yves

hi,

you have to go to "Package Center " in the synology NAS and "Instal" "Logitech Media server" and "Media server" as well. Media server will run all your media contend, photos, movies and music to be able to be seen in DLNA list.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
iefbo said:
so no way to use it without the squeezeserver?

I was hoping toget rid of it!

yes you can!

I got rid of mine SBT 1 year ago, just need to connect Synology NAS through a USB cable to a external DAC, select on the DS Audio "USB Speakers" and off you go.

JasonN

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Can anyone confirm that DS Audio in ios7 definitely uses gapless playback when connected to an Airport Express?

The DS Audio app works incredibly well for me but I don't want to buy an Airport Express if it doesn't work because that would be my sole reason for buying it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jason

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
his dudeness said:
should be no difference what device you use as a remote as long as you have a direct connection from the usb output.

thats it!

The decoding is done in the NAS and not elsewhere when you are using the USB output. The ithing app is just a remote!

And yes the galpless works flawless!

TRENDING THREADS