Sweey Lord!

rascal6000

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Here goes...

I have learnt so much and listened to nothing... ( terrible combination).

I need to buy everything from fresh... relationship BSOD!

From my reading I would buy ...

Sony KDL-40EX503 - Audiolab 8200 CD player - BDP S570 - RX-V767 - Arcam rDAC - Marantz 6003 - Yamaha a-s500 - and probably Monitor Audio BX Bronze to fit my room, maybe 7.1, maybe 9.1...

I would send all the digital to the rDAC and pre-amp the stereo from the AV for quality...

There will be a turnatable in this mix as well (v. important).

Think carefully, this is a test case!!!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rascal6000:From my reading I would buy ...
Sony KDL-40EX503 - Audiolab 8200 CD player - BDP S570 - RX-V767 - Arcam rDAC - Marantz 6003 - Yamaha a-s500 - and probably Monitor Audio BX Bronze to fit my room, maybe 7.1, maybe 9.1...

I would send all the digital to the rDAC and pre-amp the stereo from the AV for quality...

There will be a turnatable in this mix as well (v. important).

Think carefully, this is a test case!!!

I have thought carefully, and I am still as confused by your suggested system as I am by your choice of title for this thread.

No reason to have both the Audiolab 8200CD and an rDAC, since a major part of the appeal of the Audiolab is that it has a superb DAC built-in and digital inputs.

But whether you go for a DAC or the Audiolab, no point in sending all the digital through it: do that and you will lose surround sound from the Blu-ray player, as the DAC can't decode surround.

Not sure where the Marantz 6003 (CD6003, PM6003, SR6003?) fits into this plan, but I'd run the CD player straight into the amp - even though the Audiolab arguably needs an even better amplifier than the Yamaha - and simply connect the AV receiver's preouts into the integrated amp you choose to use, thus keeping the stereo audio and surround sound functions separate.

rascal6000

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Andrew

The Sweey Lord was a typo I couldn't correct and referred to my complications!

The 6003 was CD and partnered the rDAC as an alternative to the Audiolab, I have 24 bit FLACs (mainly from B&W SoS) hence the need for a DAC and didn't mean all the digital thru the DAC 5.1 to 2?! but would try the CD thru it and see my preference, and DAB (already have TEAC Reference).

My interest was whether or not I would get a barrage of abuse for buying from reviews rather than auditions, I have auditioned before and found it very helpful in my preference to warm over clinical but wondered if the mags reviews were sound(?) enough to invest in unheard, particularly in this age of digital.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
rascal6000:My interest was whether or not I would get a barrage of abuse for buying from reviews rather than auditions, I have auditioned before and found it very helpful in my preference to warm over clinical but wondered if the mags reviews were sound(?) enough to invest in unheard, particularly in this age of digital.

I'd hope no one would abuse you for it, but it would seem a questionable decision to spend thousands of pounds based purely on someone else's opinion (even if it was the opinion of a group of experts in the manner that WHF reviews are carried out). However, it is of course your money, and therefore your decision.

John Duncan

rascal6000:...relationship BSOD!

blue-screen.jpg

That would do it, certainly...

rascal6000:

Thank you Andrew

The Sweey Lord was a typo I couldn't correct and referred to my complications!

The 6003 was CD and partnered the rDAC as an alternative to the Audiolab, I have 24 bit FLACs (mainly from B&W SoS) hence the need for a DAC and didn't mean all the digital thru the DAC 5.1 to 2?! but would try the CD thru it and see my preference, and DAB (already have TEAC Reference).

My interest was whether or not I would get a barrage of abuse for buying from reviews rather than auditions, I have auditioned before and found it very helpful in my preference to warm over clinical but wondered if the mags reviews were sound(?) enough to invest in unheard, particularly in this age of digital.

I'm with the Prof on this one: it would be foolhardy to build a system on award winners and expect it to be perfect. Music is such a personal hobby. How do you define warm?

Reviews are good as it gives the potential buyers what's hot and rot.... each component has its own presentation, but that's just the start of it all. Factor in room size, acoustics, budget, practicality of an amp (how many inputs do you need etc etc etc), then once you've answered those questions, you can short-list various bits of kit that the reviews chime with....

...then you need time to audition each component.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts