Question Survey

Yoinker

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hello guys I am an industrial design student and we are designing a high-end HiFi set of Preamplifiers and Power amps. As audiophiles can you suggest interesting materials, forms, or even timeless pieces that could inspire a design that you as audio heads would love to see?

Last edited:

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Don't Preamps and power amps need to be rectangle shapes to go on a h-fi rack so I'm not sure what other form they could take.
People on this hi-fi forum (and the magazine what hi-fi) don't really talk about preamps and power amps as most who come on here don't use them as they mainly get used by audiophiles with high end hi-fi separates systems and most people who come on this forum and read the magazine only have mid range or budget hi-fi separates systems. You might be better off asking that question on another hi-fi forum, one where the users have high end hi-fi separates systems, if you have not done so already.

A few random thoughts that might help:-

The Quad 33/303 is a timeless piece of industrial design. All the wrong size for a typical rack, but they didn’t exist when this was launched.

I like the older titanium -coloured Krell KAV series from the late 1990s. The later shiny silver models look ghastly!

Mark Levinson look pretty timeless to me. I don’t recall an ugly device from them.

Personally, I like something with contrasting colours rather than all black or all silver. Primare have one of my current favourite design languages.

Current designs from the Japanese brands like Luxman, Accuphase and Yamaha retain the vu meters that many still associate with ‘proper’ Hifi. A modern take on these still holds appeal to many, I believe.

Reactions: Al ears

TomC

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Although, as stated above, the majority of us use integrated devices, the design of them is subject to the same guidelines. When we talk about classic HIFI design, my favorite is the Denon DRA-CX3 (2007). A simple, minimalist approach with premium materials in a form that is still attractive today.
https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/amplifiers/dra-cx3

Today, the current models that visually please me the most are the devices currently produced by Technics. Also quite a minimalistic approach that nevertheless touches on their heritage.
https://www.technics.com/uk/

Reactions: nopiano

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I'm an industrial designer myself, and i take it you're doing you research for a product to design for your latest project.

Your biggest mistake is thinking timeless design is highend, its not, when it comes to audio design emotion is key.

Brands such as Sugden, B&O, B&W, Klipsch, Tannoy and many more, they all carry long history's within the brand.

Tannoy epitomises this to their very core, ever wonder why people refer to the sound system in shops as the tannoy system "put a message over the tannoy dear" its the same reason we all refer to vacuum cleaners as Hoovers ( though the only vacuum we call by its brand name these days is dyson). Their very name is timeless they're watershed brands. Hifi is as much about the brand as it is about the piece they design.

NAD for example paved the way for affordable integrated amplifiers that sound fantastic back in the 70's

Sudgen are considered the father of class A amplifiers back in the 60s

Sony gave us the legendary walkman and has a brand language that really is just incredible all by itself. Sony really knows how to market a product lots to be gleaned there.

The first apple iPod absolutely legendary device that brought a company back from the brink of bankruptcy, and the branding/design language that evolved from that shaped the company moving forward!

Modern brands such as Sonos are going be long remembered for changing the industry landscape as they were the first to see the potential of smart phones and devices doing away with the humble control interface of old and utilising the UI of a phone/smart device. And there are still among the best on the market.

Then you have devices such as the Chrome cast audio and the Chromecast protocol. Its not really about the device at all! This will go down as a watershed product for media consumption in general! perhaps the future of hifi is virtual and software with clever AI and wearable tech of some kind. Bone transducers that vibrate the very body. This tech already exists and its cheap!

heck, Spotify/iTunes has done more for the hifi market in 15-20 years than the major traditional hifi brands have done themselves, brands such a Sonos wouldn't exist without them.

Traditional hifi is dying making way for smarter more connected devices, devices that are almost unrecognizable from as little as 20 years ago.

If you want to look at it from a pure aesthetics point of view, and though they divide opinion, Chord has a vary interesting design language along with Devialet. But as a project that would be boring wouldn't it!

I'd say you have picked a very difficult market to tackle for a university project as they always want to see something new in your presentations, the easiest way for you to design your next product is to pick a brand and design your hot take on where that brand will be in 10-20 years from now and incorporate their history somehow in the design. Seymour Powell the poo out of it if your if you're any sort of industrial designer you'll know who that is.

Have fun with your new project

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
I'm an industrial designer myself, and i take it you're doing you research for a product to design for your latest project.

Your biggest mistake is thinking timeless design is highend, its not, when it comes to audio design emotion is key.

Brands such as Sugden, B&O, B&W, Klipsch, Tannoy and many more, they all carry long history's within the brand.

Tannoy epitomises this to their very core, ever wonder why people refer to the sound system in shops as the tannoy system "put a message over the tannoy dear" its the same reason we all refer to vacuum cleaners as Hoovers ( though the only vacuum we call by its brand name these days is dyson). Their very name is timeless they're watershed brands. Hifi is as much about the brand as it is about the piece they design.

NAD for example paved the way for affordable integrated amplifiers that sound fantastic back in the 70's

Sudgen are considered the father of class A amplifiers back in the 60s

Sony gave us the legendary walkman and has a brand language that really is just incredible all by itself. Sony really knows how to market a product lots to be gleaned there.

The first apple iPod absolutely legendary device that brought a company back from the brink of bankruptcy, and the branding/design language that evolved from that shaped the company moving forward!

Modern brands such as Sonos are going be long remembered for changing the industry landscape as they were the first to see the potential of smart phones and devices doing away with the humble control interface of old and utilising the UI of a phone/smart device. And there are still among the best on the market.

Then you have devices such as the Chrome cast audio and the Chromecast protocol. Its not really about the device at all! This will go down as a watershed product for media consumption in general! perhaps the future of hifi is virtual and software with clever AI and wearable tech of some kind. Bone transducers that vibrate the very body. This tech already exists and its cheap!

heck, Spotify/iTunes has done more for the hifi market in 15-20 years than the major traditional hifi brands have done themselves, brands such a Sonos wouldn't exist without them.

Traditional hifi is dying making way for smarter more connected devices, devices that are almost unrecognizable from as little as 20 years ago.

If you want to look at it from a pure aesthetics point of view, and though they divide opinion, Chord has a vary interesting design language along with Devialet. But as a project that would be boring wouldn't it!

I'd say you have picked a very difficult market to tackle for a university project as they always want to see something new in your presentations, the easiest way for you to design your next product is to pick a brand and design your hot take on where that brand will be in 10-20 years from now and incorporate their history somehow in the design. Seymour Powell the poo out of it if your if you're any sort of industrial designer you'll know who that is.

Have fun with your new project

This was an interesting read. Thanks.

Reactions: twinkletoes

KeesWIjn

Dec 4, 2022
Visit site
May be totally impractical but what about natural stone ?. It can double as a heat sink, comes in a wide variety of colours and textures, Can be left rough or brought to a high polish. The exterior of most amps are some version of a flattened box so easy to assemble from slabs. Can also be machined if you really want to. NAIM Basalt anyone, ARCAM Gneiss ?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
May be totally impractical but what about natural stone ?. It can double as a heat sink, comes in a wide variety of colours and textures, Can be left rough or brought to a high polish. The exterior of most amps are some version of a flattened box so easy to assemble from slabs. Can also be machined if you really want to. NAIM Basalt anyone, ARCAM Gneiss ?

That reminds me of Ron Arad's 'Concrete Stereo'. Looked bloody awful. Bet it sounded the same. Almost impossible to put a $42,000 fuse in it too.

Friesiansam

I think I would go with, nice, shiny, black obsidian or, better still, snowflake obsidian.
SnowflakeObsidian.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts