Surround sound with PS3/ STR DA1200ES

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,  this may sound like a stupid question but how do i get surround sound with my PS3 to work together with my Sony STR DA1200ES receiver? I have a HD/ DVD recorder connected to the DVD input on the receiver via a digital optical cable, and my Cable box is hooked up to the TV/SAT input using the same method and they both work fine with regards to getting surround sound. But when i connect up my PS3 to the VIDEO1 input via digital optical again, i only get sound through the front speakers but not the rear. Am i doing something wrong or is there some setting i need to change? I tried connecting the PS3 to the receiver via the TV/SAT input and it works fine; sound from front and rear speakers.

Any advice will be appreciated! 

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tangy:
Hi, ÿthis may sound like a stupid question but how do i get surround sound with my PS3 to work together with my Sony STR DA1200ES receiver?ÿI have a HD/ DVD recorder connected to the DVD input on the receiver via a digital optical cable, and my Cable box is hooked up to the TV/SAT input using the same method and they both work fine with regards to getting surround sound. But when i connect up my PS3 to the VIDEO1 input via digital optical again, i only get sound through the front speakers but not the rear. Am i doing something wrong or is there some setting i need to change? I tried connecting the PS3 to the receiver via the TV/SAT input and it works fine; sound from front and rear speakers.

Any advice will be appreciated!ÿ

ÿ

How are you connecting your dvd player and sat box to the receiver? Remember you only have two hdmi slots to marry up with audio connections. You could have hdmi dvd in for the PS3 and use a coaxial (DVD in) (if the PS3 has it) to the receiver. If your sat box is not hdmi, you could use S Video (VIDEO 1) for the picture and optical (VIDEO 1) for the sound. And then hdmi (TVSAT) for the dvd recorder with optical (TVSAT) for audio. If your sat box is HD, maybe you could use component and optical or coaxial. You would then need a component cable from screen to receiver as well. Actually you would need an svideo cable from screen to receiver if you used that cable.

A

Anonymous

OK, i think i messed up earlier.......this is how it is:

At the moment, myÿDVD uses HDMI and coaxial to receiver (DVD in) and surround sound is fine.

PS3 is connected using HDMI and optical to receiver (TVSAT) and surround is fine.

Cable box uses scart to connect directly to TV for picture and has a optical cable which i connect to the receiver (VIDEO1) for sound. But when i watch the cable box, i only get sound in my front speakers. Are you saying that i need to connect BOTH the scart and optical cables to the receiver in order for me to get surround sound?

ÿ

Thanks in advance.ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the optical from the cable box to the receiver is all you need. Could be that your cable service only broadcasts in stereo, or if it carries surround the box is currently set only to output stereo over optical digital, as for example you can switch the output on the Sky+ satellite boxes between stereo and Dolby Digital.

If the cable service only carries stereo, as I suspect, you can set up the receiver to run Dolby Pro-Logic IIx or DTS ned:6, which will extract any surround information buried in the stereo soundtrack, as there may be on movies, for example. You can also use systems to give pseudo-surround from stereo content.

A

Anonymous

Thats what i dont understand; i do get full surround when i hook up the cable box to receiver using optical, when i use the TVSAT input just not when it is plugged into VIDEO1.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tangy:Thats what i dont understand; i do get full surround when i hook up the cable box to receiver using optical, when i use the TVSAT input just not when it is plugged into VIDEO1.

You have to assign the audio to the visual connection. Your TVSAT hdmi input is assigned to the optical. However, your scart connection from your tv is not married to the receiver. Video 1 in (optical) is linked to the S Video connection Video 1 in. You will have to run a S Video cable from your receiver S Video Monitor out and then (S Video 1) from receiver to your sat box and then assign the optical Video 1 to the S Video connection.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: You have to assign the audio to the visual connection. Your TVSAT hdmi input is assigned to the optical. However, your scart connection from your tv is not married to the receiver. Video 1 in (optical) is linked to the S Video connection Video 1 in. You will have to run a S Video cable from your receiver S Video Monitor out and then (S Video 1) from receiver to your sat box and then assign the optical Video 1 to the S Video connection.

ÿ

I get what you're saying about having to marry the audio to the visual conection but then why does it work when i use the TVSAT connection? The Cable box is still connected directly to my TV via scart for visuals but the optical is connected to TVSAT on the receiver for surround sound and it works. But if i now connect the optical to VIDEO1 instead, the surround no longer works. So in both situations, the cable box is never connected to receiver for visuals but for audio only. If its connected to TVSAT, it works, If its connected to VIDEO1, it doesn't.

I'm getting a headache!ÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tangy:
Gerrardasnails: You have to assign the audio to the visual connection. Your TVSAT hdmi input is assigned to the optical. However, your scart connection from your tv is not married to the receiver. Video 1 in (optical) is linked to the S Video connection Video 1 in. You will have to run a S Video cable from your receiver S Video Monitor out and then (S Video 1) from receiver to your sat box and then assign the optical Video 1 to the S Video connection.

ÿ

I get what you're saying about having to marry the audio to the visual conection but then why does it work when i use the TVSAT connection? The Cable box is still connected directly to my TV via scart for visuals but the optical is connected to TVSAT on the receiver for surround sound and it works. But if i now connect the optical to VIDEO1 instead, the surround no longer works. So in both situations, the cable box is never connected to receiver for visuals but for audio only. If its connected to TVSAT, it works, If its connected to VIDEO1, it doesn't.

I'm getting a headache!ÿ

I didn't realise you were getting surround sound when connecting the screen with scart. Now this is a silly question and I apologise for asking but have you pressed VIDEO1 on the remote when trying the way you want it to work? And then input mode so you know that it's looking for optical. Other than that, I'm lost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts