Surprising amount of new vinyls warped

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Like most of you, I have an insatiable appetite for music and spend a lot of money on 2nd hand and new vinyl.

However, I have noticed a high number of new records turning up with noticeable warping and/or noise. Had a couple from Juno and most recently from Amazon! Fortunately, both companies have very straightforward returns policies but I still find it frustrating!

I received the latest Dead Weather record on Friday only to find that too was warped.

Am I being fussy to expect perfectly flat new vinyl? Or are there better suppliers out there I can try?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I haven't opened my copy yet, but if mine is warped, or any of the copies we have supplied are reported as warped, I'll let you know. If ours are, then it is an issue with the suppliers or the way they've been stored. If ours are fine, then it could be down to how Amazon or Juno store them.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I've had a fair few new LPs arrived warped. All have been replaced without issue. I assumed that any affected records have been stored incorrectly.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup: warped, scratched and washed in residue from pressing release fluid are all common occurrences here for new vinyl records - bought both online and from shops. It's worse for US pressings and far worse for coloured vinyl pressings - see my previous posts on the subject. I have read that the explosion of interest in vinyl over the past few years has meant that the few remaining pressing plants have huge backlogs and that various out-of-service pressing machines have been 'pressed' (boom, boom) back into action, and that, combined with the loss of skill from so many of the great mastering and pressing engineers retiring, could well be the cause of poor quality pressings at the moment.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all, I was thinking it could be to do with how Amazon or others store them, but issues could well be creeping in at the production stage.

My first copy of the latest Joe Bonamassa album looked like it had been thrown across a rough floor it was that scratched!

@David, my replacement is due this week so I'll let you know what it is like

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I Work in a record store that regularly gets large deliveries of new vinyl. They are always delivered from our suppliers boxed flat, sometimes as many as 25-30 on top of each other and often with 50+ CDs on top for good measure.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that some of them end up less than flat

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Milo_Myage said:
I Work in a record store that regularly gets large deliveries of new vinyl. They are always delivered from our suppliers boxed flat, sometimes as many as 25-30 on top of each other and often with 50+ CDs on top for good measure.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that some of them end up less than flat
We tend to get most of our vinyl in smaller boxes of no more than about 10, then packed in larger boxes. Because we only keep vinyl, we don't need to worry about the weight of CDs on top of them.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Picked up my replacement Dead Weather vinyl today and was disappointed to see it too is warped and this one sounds like it is distorted slightly. Will try another then I think I'll give up! Perhaps the 1st batch of pressings have not been done so well?

Better news with the new Sexwitch record though - perfectly flat, no pops or crackles and fantastic SQ!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts