Supernait speakers and general advice for grateful newbie!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. I have just moved into my first house as an excited 26 year old. Now where you knowledgeable guys can help is here, I have been saving my pennies in anticipation of my move and after doing a lot of reading up on integrated amps I swallowed hard and splashed some hard earned candy on naims supernait. Bear in mind all my music is and will be digital files, mostly wav and apple lossless, and for now my source will be an ipod and an arcam rdock. Now I am aware all you audiophiles will be appalled at such desecration, but I do intend on upgrading to linns sneaky ds or the like at some point so breathe easy. So i now need suitable speakers and speaker wire. My living room is a fairly modest 6m x 4m, I like my music to be exciting and invigorating,(I'm no seasoned audiophile so apologies if my terms are not dead on), I listen to a whole host of genres but most notably guitar rock and house/electronica so bass quality would be essential(I,m guessing floorstanders?). Finally my budget would be around £600 for the speakers, and for the wire I dont really know what the going rate would be but I obviously want something to compliment the amp and help achieve the sound signature I'm after. As I said I'm no seasoned audiophile but my music does turn me on so much which is why I've allocated so high a percentage of my savings to my sound system so if you guys could help me get the most of this investment I'd be very very grateful. Cheers

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations and welcome, first of all. This is going to be one mismatched system no matter what. The amplifier costs four times the amount of money you've allocated for speakers! A smarter move would've been the Nait 5i with the rest on speakers, but it's your money.

For your musical taste, try Monitor Audio RS6. They are great speakers for the money with upfront presentation.

A

Anonymous

I agree with the balance, but not the speakers, some Neat motive 3 will be a good bet or moving up the scale Kudos C1 or down a bit Epos M12.2i

A

Anonymous

You just need to feed your WAV and Apple Lossless files into the Supernait DAC. A Squeezebox or laptop is fine.

A

Anonymous

Well the thinking behind spending the majority of the cash on the amp, was the better the amp the better the speakers would sing. Probably wary of buying speakers and not getting the full potential from them due to inadequate amplification. Judging by you guys reaction I may have been a little bit off with this assumption, maybe should have thought I might not be getting full potential from the amp now. Thanks for clarifying that Darren, as it was in my mind the other day about both the sneaky and the snait both having dac's. As it says in the title newbie. As for speaker choice do you suggest that I hold off for now whilst trying to accrue some more funds and if so how much do you think would be needed to accompany the amp with some new speaker friends?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The build in DAC of SuperNait is excellent, at least on par with CD5X to my ears.
The Naim deserve a good pair of speakers however if £600 is the top budget then Neat motive 3 (or 2nd hand Motive 1) should be at the top of your short list.

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot guys. I had already done a little reading up on all of the aforementioned speakers and it was, actually the neat motive range which stood out in terms of musical style, so I think I'll arrange a demo of them and if the extra cash needs to be generated, I'll find a way. The point about not scrimping on the source, well, correct me if I'm wrong but if my music is digital files being fed into the snait's dac then isn't the source simply my hard drive?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gash07"]Thanks alot guys. I had already done a little reading up on all of the aforementioned speakers and it was, actually the neat motive range which stood out in terms of musical style, so I think I'll arrange a demo of them and if the extra cash needs to be generated, I'll find a way. The point about not scrimping on the source, well, correct me if I'm wrong but if my music is digital files being fed into the snait's dac then isn't the source simply my hard drive?
[/quote]Yep. And the quality of playback is mostly dictated by the quality of your dac. Others may disagree, but this is mainly due to believe that the source is the most important factor in creating a great sound. From my point of view the speakers' quality is the most important part.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts