Suitable Replacement for my TV ??

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I am currently making an accidental insurance claim for my current TV which is a Panasonic TH-42 PV500. I dont know if any readers or WHFI staff recall this model circa 2005 - 2006

It was held to be one of the best TVs you could buy at the time. The build quality was that of a premium TV with a very high quality sound derived from inbuilt Onkyo speakers.

Even today the SD performance in particular is in my mind very very good

Being that Full HD had not become mainstream at th time it was 'only' HD ready but this was the best TV in Panasonic's range at the time

My insurance company are due to replace the TV on a 'like for like' basis but are claiming that due to the specs on paper they only have to replace it with a 42 PX20 and will give me only £440.00

'Like for like' would suggest to me that an assessment should be made based upon picture resolution, picture quality, sound quality and build quality and pehaps the relevant place the tv had in it's original range

I dont expect to be paid for a current top of the range TV and would be happy to contibute several hundreds to the overall price to get what I think is a suitable replacement

However £440.00 will not buy anything in the region of a premium, top end or even a mid range model in the current range. They are apparently basing their 'valuation' and assessment only on the Resolution (HD Ready ) rather than taking into account the quality of build, the quality of speakers and sound etc etc.

I have strenuously made my case with regard to these points but am still being told that I am due only the PX20 which is near bottom of the Panasonic range

Does anyone out there have an opinion as to how such a 'like for like' replacement should be judged and what value they would expect to be put on my old TV ?

I would very much appreciate your comments

Regards

A

Anonymous

I think as you said, they will look purely at the statistics of it and think HD ready, resolution etc and not take in to account the fact that it is such a well built TV etc, see if you can claim the money and as you said contribute some of your own cash to purchase a better tv, or if they wont do that take delivery of the model that they want to give you but dont open it and sell it.

only a suggestion.

Regards Justin.

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Oh by the way the £440.00 they are offering includes the mandatory £75 excess so I will actually end up with approx £365.00 !!!

A

Anonymous

. . . thats pretty poor, almost as poor as how much my local av retailer offered me for my 46w4500, i was lucky and got it for £1250 2 years ago, still going for £1300 on amazon now! how much do you think they offered me??

£250!! yes £250 and its only recently had a brand new panel put in under warranty and still has 3 years of warranty left, so consider yourself quiet lucky comparativly.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts