Suggestions for small bookshelf speakers for budget system?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, i'm new here looking for a little advice. I'm looking for some small bookshelf speakers, to suit the system/placement/room I have.

I've assembled my first 'proper' hi-fi on the cheap using 2nd hand components, the system consists of an AR 101 turntable, a Marantz CD67 and PM6030OSE amp, and a Sony JB-980 Minidisc. Bearing in mind these four cost an average of about £55 each, i'm looking for some bookshelfs to suit. Most of my listening will be over headphones as we have a little girl who is asleep when I get chance to sit down, but occassionaly I will be able to make use of some speakers.

The only place I can site them is on a bay window sill, so ideally a max speaker depth would be in the region of 250mm. Room is a typical semi-detached living room, about 4m x 4m, with all associated soft furnishings, tv etc...

|To keep cost low i'm absolutley happy to ge second hand as with all the sources, but I know that new i'm at maybe around the £75 to £100 mark.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
New, you could try Dali Zensor 1, Tannoy V1, Mission MX1, Cambridge Audio S30 etc. However, with the budget I would go for second hand. You can just search through the standmount/bookshelf sections and single out which ever you like the look of. If you find another £50-150 I would go for speakers such as Monitor audio BX2, Dali Lektor 2, Mission Mx2, Quad 11Lclassic etc.

If you go for new ones, would be good to audition.

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Available new for £99, it's easily the best value speaker available right now.

You'd need to spend a LOT more to better it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Mr. Iceman said:
Plastic penguin, what I meant by 'pp' was previous poster rather than 'plastic penguin'.

Just like 'op' is an original poster.

If PP was the pp, then would that then make him the PPpp! :? :D

matthewpiano

Agree about the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. I still have a pair here. Very natural and persuasive performers and still compete quite comfortably with the current crop of £200-£250 speakers.

Dalis are also well worth a look although you might struggle to get any within your budget. The Lektor 1 and Lektor 2 are both superbly organic, musical performers.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Mr. Iceman said:
Plastic penguin, what I meant by 'pp' was previous poster rather than 'plastic penguin'.

Just like 'op' is an original poster.

If PP was the pp, then would that then make him the PPpp! :? :D

No, it would make him ppPP, but only if PP was the pp but not the op ;)

On a more serious note, keeping to the topic. 9.1 is still a fab speaker for silly money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts