Suggested speakers and amp for Linn Karik CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there

First post here from a Newbie.

My Dad has given me an old Linn Karik CD player (the serial number is c6000 so I think it is the Mark II model). I understand it was quite an expensive bit of kit at the time.

How does the Karik compare with today's players (say in the £1k price range)?

I am looking to buy a pair of speakers and an amp to go with this. My budget is around £1500-2000. What would you suggest?

I've read the Karik should be paired with a DAC (Numerik?) - is this essential and if so where would I get one?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Karik can still hold it's own with newer contenders, it has all the right sound that made it's little brother, Genki, so famous for but Karik also has more resolution.

I would be looking for a warm-ish amp like Audio Analog, Myryad, Pathos as for speakers try some things with "Soul" as Linn gears are very good at put message across to you, Triangles and Opera should be on your list.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No need for the Numerik - the Karik was designed to be used on its own or with the Numerik, and was/is a very impressive performer when used 'solo'

How about going contemporary on the amplification front? There's the odd Linn Wakonda preamp on ebay at the moment, and a good choice of Linn power amps: you could either buy an LK100 or go for some serious power with an LK280/Spark combination, all of these amps being available at what look like giveaway prices.

You could even stick with Linn for the speakers - the likes of the Ninka floorstanders would be good, or there's a bargain pair of Kabers on ebay right now, if you could find a way to collect them!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]How about going contemporary on the amplification front? There's the odd Linn
Wakonda preamp on ebay at the moment, and a good choice of Linn power amps: you
could either buy an LK100 or go for some serious power with an LK280/Spark
combination, all of these amps being available at what look like giveaway
prices.[/quote]

Yeb it will work well with Linn's own products if you fancy 2nd hand, I found Linn's pre are the weak link though. The power amps are superb from LK series all the way to older but still brill "Klout" and Ninka speakers could be a bargain, normally going for £500 ish.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for your replies. Both very informative. Can't wait to start surfing the net and looking into your suggestions. I will let you know how I get on.

One final question I had was around maintenance of the Karik. My one is in pretty good condition but I know it is quite old and with it being obselete I wondered where I should go to get it serviced if it develops a problem etc. In other words could it become uneconomical to maintain and should I consider buying a newer CD player?

Thanks again for all you help. Really appreciate it!

Thanks

Paul

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Ditto andrew's post....if it work well then no need to pay for service.

Linn build their products to last well even it look a bit light and plastic-ky!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I always rather liked the Wakonda/LK100 combo...
[/quote]

I have to agree with Andrew's view, I bought a Kolektor and two LK85's second-hand three years ago, since then I have upgraded my whole system around them, I've changed my Arcam Cd82 for a second-hand Ikemi, added a Rega P3, and an LK140, my friend was so impressed with my set-up he bought a Wakonda on the strength of it. I am planning on the Linn kit staying with me for life.

goodmar

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I always rather liked the Wakonda/LK100 combo...
[/quote]

I have to agree with Andrew's view, I bought a Kolektor and two LK85's second-hand three years ago, since then I have upgraded my whole system around them, I've changed my Arcam Cd82 for a second-hand Ikemi, added a Rega P3, and an LK140, my friend was so impressed with my set-up he bought a Wakonda on the strength of it. I am planning on the Linn kit staying with me for life.[/quote]

Totally agree. I have been using the Genki, Wakonda/LK140 combination for that last three years and love the sound. I first used these with B&W CDM 1 SE's (standmounts) which was a great combination. I have since upgraded to Spendor S8e's, which takes it out of your budget. But if you can get your hands on a pair of the B&W's second hand you won't regret it.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
There's also a Wakonda on www.2ndhandhifi.co.uk, if it's any good to you. I'm using mine with the now discontinued Ruark Prelude II's, will have to try to get a listen to them with Spendor S8e's (must resist the upgrade bug, the wife will throttle me).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts