Sugden Mystro Or Audio Zone AMP-1?

garyw77

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading the amplifier in my set up (See Sig) because i feel that maybe the Cyrus 7 and PSXR aren't doing full justice to both the DAC and PMC's. I play only lossless and HD tracks through Pure Music.

I am willing to go to about £1500 max and would prefer to stick to an integrated to keep the box count down for now.

I have listened in the past to Naim, Roksan, Primare, Rotel, Arcam up to this price and nothing there really impressed my taste.

Perhaps i am a little too used to the tad forward Cyrus sound, but i like my music very detailed and accurate. I did initially think of just adding a power and PSXR to what i have but as mentioned before, too many boxes. Also i am not keen on staying with the newer Cyrus integrateds either.

So i have shortlisted these two for now...

Having heard Sugden a few years ago i remember how i liked the sound, and with the entry level Mystro coming in at about £1255 is within budget, it's just whether it will get the best from what i have?

Also having dug around i stumbled over the Audio Zone AMP-1 with seperate PSU from Audio Oasis in Canada. Fo me a lovely looking, minimalist, gain card, single source input, dual mono volume, minute box, ideal to slot into my set up. It has rave reviews from all parties on the net, comes in around the £1255 mark as well, with direct delivery from Canada. This interests me a lot with the gain card set up and the reportedly direct accurate sound.

Has anyone heard one of these or any info? ... I'm getting tempted
smiley-cool.gif

Of course the drawback here is the inability to demo, but being away in Russia, living and working most of the time, i can't really get any demo's in now anyway
smiley-cry.gif

So with the usual run of the mill suspects for this price range not floating my boat and my shortlist explained, can anyone give me some advise or experience of these??

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I had never even heard of the Audio Zone prior to this post so I cannot really comment on their equipment.

With regards to the Sugden, they have been around for many years creating great products. I saw a review of this amp in another magazine last month and it was noted that it had a smooth and laid back sound. If this is something you are looking for it may be a good purchase.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts