Question Sudden increased harshness to highs - possible damage to amp or speakers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 195594

I caught a virus that affected my hearing in a similar way, making everything sound harsh. Just a thought.

That did occur to me funnily enough. I do remember something similar happening to me years ago, but having the SA10 at home for a day now, I don't think that is the case

D

Deleted member 195594

It's not actually mentioned on their website so I would suggest it is not, could be wrong though.....

I can't remember where I've seen this but I think I've read somewhere it applies to the original owner/purchaser only. Again, I could be mistaken

D

Deleted member 195594

Thanks insider9,

My dealer hadn't received their shipment of the Roksans, which was a shame. I think they were a little optimistic with their website advert 😊.
I've got until Saturday with the SA10, then I have to decide which way to go;

Stick with the SA10
Have another listen of the Nait 5si
If the Roksan has come in, try that as well

I'm enjoying the SA10 at home at the moment. It's a lot more restrained than the Elex-r. It's great with Jazz, and well produced/recorded material.

It's the complete opposite of the Elex-r; the SA10 is laid back, warm, and keeps itself under control at higher volumes, whereas the Elex-r likes to let rip. I'm crap at analogies, but to me the SA10 is like a ballroom dance, where the Elex-r is like pogoing at a punk gig.

In that context, I'm not sure if the SA10 is the one for me in the long run, I maybe need something that falls between ballroom and pogoing 😊. Which is why I'm inclined to give the Nait 5si another shot.

Saying that, I'm going to give it a good chance over the next few days. I've been playing the Node into the SA10's DAC most of the time and I've enjoyed it, going to swap around and see how the Node sounds through its analogue inputs, and also connect up the CDT to its digital input, see how that goes.

Just a quick update on my journey to find the right amp for me; after fostering the SA10 for almost a week, I was sad to take it home to my dealer yesterday.

We had some good moments together, especially some later night jazz sessions, but when I wanted to up the tempo, the SA10 was just too laid back.

I really did become fond of it to be honest, and if I only listened to jazz, I may have stuck on the SA10, it was a lovely combination with the Quad S2s , but for the other music I listen too the pairing maybe too much of a good thing, I just need a little more energy. but not as much as the Elex-r 😊.

I rang my dealer on Friday to let him know my decision, and he offered to loan me their Naim Nait 5si demo unit, which I gratefully accepted and picked it up yesterday morning. They have them on order (12 weeks wait time apparently), so, if I'm happy with the Naim, I can keep the demo unit until their new shipment comes in.

It's early days yet, its been powered up since I brought it home, but I don't know if its had much play time in the shop so it's character may change over the days/weeks to come, but so far, I'm enjoying it. I'm having flashbacks to when I had my Naim Olive system all those years back 😊.

It's got that Naim quality, that matter of fact/forthright manner, which I like, but can also be subtle and nuanced when the music demands it. So far I like how the Nait works with the Quad S2s, both tonally and imaging wise, although I think I need to re-adjust my speaker placement again, will have a play around during the week.

Just a word on the Bluesound Node (2021). When I had the SA10, I started off using the SA10's DAC, but after switching to the Node DAC to see how that went, I didn't really go back apart to A/B it. The Node just sounded more natural to my ears than any of the SA10 DAC filters. I was surprised at this to be honest, I expected the SA10 DAC to maybe surpass the Node's. Which is a good place to be for me, as the Node is now my only DAC again 😊, but for me personally, I think the Node is a great little product for its price. Not sure how much I'd have to spend to improve on its DAC's sound quality and its functionality.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and apart from the repeated 60mile round trip to my dealer, I'm still enjoying myself and (re) learning a lot in the process.

Thanks all

Kind Regards

Lyndon

Tinman1952

I have tinnitus in my left ear although I don't really notice it on a day to day basis
Same here. Mine developed after a bad dose of flu and bronchitis 5 years ago. It took a while to learn to live with it. In view of how many millions suffer from this you would think more research would be done into treatment and a ‘cure’…..🤞

Reactions: Dom

Dom

There are two causes of tinnitus, one is in the ear where the hairs deform from loud noise and the other is in the brain where your it loses frequency's and causes a whistle.
As for research its is being done, I guess its difficult pin point where the actual problem lies. Anyway sorry to hear Tinman1952 that you suffer from this since hifi is your hobby, but if it doesn't bother you while you listen then that's cool.

Reactions: Tinman1952
D

Deleted member 195594

There are two causes of tinnitus, one is in the ear where the hairs deform from loud noise and the other is in the brain where your it loses frequency's and causes a whistle.
As for research its is being done, I guess its difficult pin point where the actual problem lies. Anyway sorry to hear Tinman1952 that you suffer from this since hifi is your hobby, but if it doesn't bother you while you listen then that's cool.

I've been thinking about hearing problems since reading the recent posts, in the context of my Op and the harshness I was hearing.

In my late 20s through to my mid to late 30s I ran a music venue; bookings, promotion, and also doubled up as the resident sound engineer. We booked anything from acoustic singer songwriter types to Industrial Goth noise 😜 and everything in between.

I don't have tinnitus, but I know my hearing isn't what it should be, particularly my left ear. My much better half also complains she has to say things more than once sometimes as it doesn't register (that could be selective hearing😁)

Anyway, having thought about it, the conclusion I've come to in light of the above, and my search for an amp that I find agreeable, is that this hobby of ours is so subjective, even more so as none of us has the same hearing, and indeed, as per the last few posts, some of us have damaged hearing.

So, this could explain why the Rega ultimately didn't agree with me, possibly the B&W 606 S2s too (see my previous thread)., due to my probably damaged hearing, and sensitivities brought about by said damage.

Just some thoughts and musings 😊

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I've been thinking about hearing problems since reading the recent posts, in the context of my Op and the harshness I was hearing.

In my late 20s through to my mid to late 30s I ran a music venue; bookings, promotion, and also doubled up as the resident sound engineer. We booked anything from acoustic singer songwriter types to Industrial Goth noise 😜 and everything in between.

I don't have tinnitus, but I know my hearing isn't what it should be, particularly my left ear. My much better half also complains she has to say things more than once sometimes as it doesn't register (that could be selective hearing😁)

Anyway, having thought about it, the conclusion I've come to in light of the above, and my search for an amp that I find agreeable, is that this hobby of ours is so subjective, even more so as none of us has the same hearing, and indeed, as per the last few posts, some of us have damaged hearing.

So, this could explain why the Rega ultimately didn't agree with me, possibly the B&W 606 S2s too (see my previous thread)., due to my probably damaged hearing, and sensitivities brought about by said damage.

Just some thoughts and musings 😊
Do sound engineers suffer with defective hearing and don't know it? 🤔

D

Deleted member 195594

Do sound engineers suffer with defective hearing and don't know it? 🤔

Some of the engineers I've observed would make me think they do, I've been to some gigs and the front of house sound was awful😜.
I definitely think it's common for ex-engineers to suffer after years of being in the environment, especially if they don't take precautions. I'm guilty of that myself,.

D

Deleted member 195594

There should be warning signs outside dance clubs about permanent damage to your hearing.

With hindsight, I couldn't agree more. I wish I'd taken sensible precautions at the time, as an employee, but I was young and stupid 😔

Reactions: Dom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts