Subwoofer

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I have been thinking about buying a sub for my system for a while now and would like to now enquire into buying one (get the ball rolling so to speak)

My current audio set-up consists of a Yamaha DSPAX763, Monitor Audio BR5s, BRLCR and BR1s.

The logical option would be the BRW10 to complete the system. Would anyone comment on this sub please, or offer alternatives?

Also, my BR5s are used for music from a dedicated stereo amp/cdp (via the usual pre-out option) Can the sub be used for music in addition to movies? If not my preferred choice will obviously be movies, in this respect can anyone explain the types of connections available to me please - I have no experience on subs but would very much appreciate a little insight to broaden my knowledge.

Thanks

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The subwoofer connects via a subwoofer cable (single RCA phono) from the subwoofer preout on the amp to one of the inputs on the subwoofer (Left). Your amp should be able to utilise the subwoofer for all modes, I use pure direct or sometimes 5ch stereo for music duties and my Denon allows the .1 channel to be used. I am also running a stereo amp via front pre-outs for music. It works fine. If you google subwoofer calibration, it will turn up a host of guides to get you up and running. It's best to do it with a SPL meter but it's not necessary. There may even be a video guide on the main WHF site.

I know they've not been reviewed by WHF but I don't think you'll get a better sub than one of the BK for the money. If your budget can stretch, I can highly recommend a SVS. That is what I have and it's superb!

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Try the MIller & Kreisel KX12. Nice and compact but damn quick and punchy.

I agree. I bought one from Frank a couple of weeks ago at a really good price and it's a brilliant sub.... not sure if my neighbours agree though!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I may have misunderstood, bit I think the original poster runs a CD player through the stereo amp, and only uses the Av amp preouts for movies (when the stereo amp controls the front speakers via the Av amp preouts). In this instance when playing a CD the Av amp will notÿnecessarilyÿeven be on, so cannot control the sub. Is it still possible to use a sub in this instance (short of unplugging the sub from the Av amp and plugging it into the stereo amp, obviously!)?

ÿ

Sorry if misunderstood the OP!ÿ

ÿ

ÿ

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
gregvet:

I may have misunderstood, bit I think the original poster runs a CD player through the stereo amp, and only uses the Av amp preouts for movies (when the stereo amp controls the front speakers via the Av amp preouts). In this instance when playing a CD the Av amp will not necessarily even be on, so cannot control the sub. Is it still possible to use a sub in this instance (short of unplugging the sub from the Av amp and plugging it into the stereo amp, obviously!)?

Sorry if misunderstood the OP!

You are correct buddy, so I am confused with the first reply! The AV is not on when I listen to CDs, therefore I don't think the sub can be utilised for both purposes unless unplugging occurs (as you stated)

In this respect can someone advise on the correct connections available for movies?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts