Subwoofer to support monitors for stereo music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

rel t series are known for being very musical and have the choice of wattage. chec the cabinet before purchase if second hand though.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:The simple theory of power is more watts the louder it goes. Thats how i used to think any way. So on that simple understanding if youre just underpinning the main speakers and closing down the volume until you cant hear it on a sub as you would with music then low power isnt a concern. But low watts normally means lower bass
emotion-42.gif
Mmm. Tricky one.

I have the MK1 rated at 50W or so. Whilst I can't claim it's the best sub out there It has been used with different systems, including AVI's 9.1 and I never found it wanting, even at high volume. In fact, the volume control is only advanced a fraction of zero.

Now, to produce deep, powerful bass you need a big driver in a big box or some sort of isobarik loading. A big amplifier helps too. These small subs are none of these. They won't make bass that you can feel in your stomach but then your neutrons and most domestic speakers don't produce soundwaves that pin you back either. These small subs just subtly enhance what's already there, perhaps extending it slightly but the difference is surprisingly large.

As regards to setting one up, you're right there. Ideally you should not be able to identify the subwoofer as a separate, working entity but as Igg said, it's a bit of a dark art, or more to the point, trial and error. What it does give you is flexibility and a more room friendly alternative to big boxes in each corner, which can have their own drawbacks though as I've mentioned before, I used mine with floorstanders from several manufacturers too, to good effect. Good luck.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thats given me the confidence to go for it. You guys recommended the Neutrons to me a few years ago and ive never looked back so i appreciate your comments.

One last thing about positioning. Ive read about the practice of walking around the room for the best bass nodes , ive also read about placing the sub as much as possible close to your speakers.On the REL site however they talk about placing the sub in the corner.

Which technique do you subscribe to?

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Interesting. That would make life a lot easier. Ive got my rack in the middle but judging by the size it could easily fit inbetween the speaker and the rack.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I'm not to anal about decoupling and expensive equipment stands I probably would'nt place a sub right next to one if you have wooden floor boards that run across the two.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately my sub placement has mostly been dictated by the other things in the room so it's not ideally placed but still works well.

The idea of placing in a corner does indeed aid in pressurising the room but IME creates more boom. The approach where you place the sub in the listening position and then walk around listening for bass nodes to place it in actually works. Who knows where the sub will end up though!

You'll be playing for months to come...
emotion-3.gif
...but unlike floorstanders you can just turn the sub off if things start to annoy you.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Unfortunately my sub placement has mostly been dictated by the other things in the room so it's not ideally placed but still works well. The idea of placing in a corner does indeed aid in pressurising the room but IME creates more boom. The approach where you place the sub in the listening position and then walk around listening for bass nodes to place it in actually works. Who knows where the sub will end up though! You'll be playing for months to come...
emotion-3.gif
...but unlike floorstanders you can just turn the sub off if things start to annoy you.

Just depends how far you want to take it. I knew where I wanted it, unpacked it, adjusted it and pretty much never touched it since, bar the on/off switch. Good thing is, once it's done it's done. Unless you're one of the people that constantly have to fiddle with things.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Yeah that about describes my situation. I suspected as much. The ideal choice would be to get rid of the lot and stick the neutron sub where the rack was but thats a big step and an expensive one.

I dont suppose a granite slab would have a huge effect? I can see a lot of trial and error down the road.

A

Anonymous

If you like tweaking it's great fun. I've spent a lot of time understanding how I like the sound to be and it's great when you crack it. Some days you'll just want to turn the sub off and enjoy the speed of the Neutrons, others you'll crank it up.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Id like a bit of siesmic bass with Massive Attack or some big band jazz i sometimes listen to but im also very curious what it will do to the midrange. Should be fun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts