Subwoofer Phase Makes No Difference When Other Speakers Set To Small?

I agree with SB, though it is possible, given the often weak integration of mains and SW in AV systems, that you might have a gap rather than an overlap (if the crossover point is too low, hence the mains have stopped).

As you say, it is unlikely to be very obvious, and I would expect its audibility to be quite dependent on the SW location.

moonfly

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
The phase does have a function, but unless you have the ability to measure and visualise your systems in room response, then you will have no idea what altering the phase is doing, or where to set it. Further, if your AVR has an auto setup feature like Audyssey, the processor takes care of the phase for you and you dont need to use the subs on board functions, just like with the crossover dial.

In short, the likely hood is that you don not need to do anything with the phase yourself, and dont need to worry about it.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
moonfly said:
...if your AVR has an auto setup feature like Audyssey, the processor takes care of the phase for you...

Does it? Thats news to me!

The phase switch on your sub changes the way the woofer interacts with the standing waves and in room response of your listening room. The simplest method for selecting which phase setting to use on your sub is to sit in you main listening position, play some bass heavy soundtrack with the phase switch in one position, then flick the phase switch (turning off the sub first if necessary) and listening to the same track again. Which ever seems to produce more 'better' bass (not necessarily louder) is having a better interaction with the standing waves at your listening position, so go with that phase setting.

Be sure to recalibrate the sound after you've done this, as the integration with your other speakers may be change.

Also be aware that if you change the sub's position in the room, or its position where it currently stands (i.e. spin it around 180 degrees), it may change the optimum phase setting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts