Subs and stereo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, is it possible to connect a sub to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640A v2?
If so, how do i do it
Also any 2.1 packages you'd recommend?
I had to give up my B&W 685's, due to the 'size'- i know - not excactly massive but Mrs Rock Man not happy.
Hence me thinking 2.1 , rather than pure stereo.
So any other smaller, but decent suggestions most welcome.
Room size roughly 6m x 5.5m
Music, - rock/metal.
Source Cambridge Azur 640 C

Cheers in advance.

A

Anonymous

Yes it's possible. The best way is to use a high level connection which connects to the speaker terminals of your stereo amp. However to my knowledge only three companies offer this connection Rel, BK and MJ acoustics. I personally use a Rel T2 to reinforce my aging KEF iQ5's but a BK will probably offer the best performance per pound. http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Yup, certainly possible. Subs can be connected either by speaker cable from the amps speaker terminals (you could use the second set of terminals on your amp) or via a preamp out, which your amp also has, with a phono cable. Subs offer one, or sometimes both, of these methods. Opinions vary on which is best.

Be warned though, subs can be quite bulky, and the missus is unlikely to be impressed if she couldn't live with a pair of standmounts.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
You could go for the smallest sub in the BK range,the Gemini II (£200) and try to hide it behind a chair or something although this is probably not best for sound quality but might be a compromise your other half can live with.FYI the Gemini measures 315x355x290mm.

A

Anonymous

I think she'll be able to handle a sub, cos as noted it can be out of view.
Can you use the same sub for two systems,? I'm planning - at the end of the month - getting the tiny Jamo 5.1 Home Cinema package, but i've read that this is not suitable for stereo playback, so to keep the Mrs happy, i was hoping to use the same sub for both 5.1 thru my AV amp for movies and also connected to my Cambridge amp and a different pair of speakers for stereo.
Hope i've made myself understood ok.

A

Anonymous

I also use a 2.1 set up due to room size, the speakers i use are more suited for AV but im pleased with the sound i get. I use Mordaunt short alumni 2 speakers and a Mordaunt short alumni 9 subwoofer. my amp is also a cambridge audio i run the sub through the pre out. Once you get the level and frequency set correct you can get good results( my frequency is around 3 o'clock and my level is 12 o'clock), obviously not the same as an expensive pair of satnd mounts or floorstanders however we all have different needs/ requirments. hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

Back to my question.
Can one sub be used for/in two different systems?

A

Anonymous

well on the back of my sub it has high level and line in inputs. aslong as only one signal is given to the sub at any one time i cant see any reason why you couldnt use both? hopefully somebody will correct me if im wrong!

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work... doesn't feel like a particularly good idea though, somehow.

That aside, I'm not sure what kind of sound quality you're going to get out of that Jamo sub for stereo listening. What are you replacing the B&Ws with?

A

Anonymous

Thats my point, i'm not expecting alot from the Jamo's for stereo, they will be used just for movies with my Yamaha amp, for stereo, i was hoping to use my CA amp/CD AND the Jamo sub but with smaller speakers than the 685's. Any suggestions under £400 welcome. Maybe MS Alumni 2's or Q Acoustics 1010i for eg.??????? Remember this is just for 2 or 2.1 channel stereo. 5.1 will be dealt with the Jamo's

My dilema is Mrs doesn't like the look of any speaker, sub ok as it's hidden from view.
I want decent stereo sound without paying for something like B&W MT 20's 25's or 30's

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I understand what you're getting at, but the point I was trying to make was that using a very low budget sub might actually spoil, rather than improve, the sound from your speakers in a 2.1 setup.

Speakerwise I would be audtioning:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Epos M5i (on for a good price at Superfi at the moment)

Monitor Audio RX1

depending on how much you want to pay. Obviously you should try to audition before making a purchase, but I'd say this is particularly important if you were considering the Epos as some people will find the Cambridge / Epos combination in particular too bright.

Ragworm

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Rock Man:Back to my question.
Yes if it's the right sub. The MJ Acoustics range have separate gain controls and separate crossovers for high and low level inputs. I've got the the Reference 200 connected to my stereo via high level connections and to the LFE channel of my surround amp via low level. The Reference Pro 50 has the same feature and will set you back around £300.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyone's replies.
Looks like the Mrs is for sale and .... welcome back 685's.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site

Yes, as that's exactly what I'm doing. My PV1 is connected to my A/V amp for home cinema duties, and it's also connected to my stereo amp for Hi-Fi. I've run it this way for about a year. I'm not sure if it'd harm it, but I'm careful to ensure only one source is playing at a time.

Of course, the PV1 ain't cheap, but it sounds awesome in both set-ups. As a fellow metaller, I can whole-heartedly agree you need that bass punch that's hard to get by (m)any other means.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that.
What do the M1's sound like with the PV1 for music?
I'm guessing not great, hence the reason you have the 600's for stereo, still, thought i'd still ask.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Rock Man:Cheers for that.
I'm guessing not great, hence the reason you have the 600's for stereo, still, thought i'd still ask.

Well I've had my 602s since 2002, but only upgraded to the MT-30s early last year. I've got the 602s, so I use them.

You're right, I've not used the MT-30s for Hi-Fi listening, but soundtracks in movies sound great, and I have a fair number of music DVDs which all sound great too. I also have one CD which has a counterpart CD designed to be played at exactly the same time as the regular CD (Still following me? :)) on a different system, but it's more a case of SFX and soundscapes which complement the music on the 'original' CD....... Those whacky 'Neurosis' boys eh?

:)

See if you can get a demo with a pair of M1s and the PV1. TBH, with your Missus hard line approach to speakers, you've not got a lot of options left open to you.

Is it the slightly more Hi-tech finish she's not happy with regarding thr 685s? Would she be happier with a pair of speakers in a wood finish with a nice grain running through it?

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:Rock Man:Cheers for that.

Is it the slightly more Hi-tech finish she's not happy with regarding thr 685s? Would she be happier with a pair of speakers in a wood finish with a nice grain running through it?

Nope, she just thinks all speakers are ugly and should not be seen.............

A

Anonymous

Ok
Big tantrum from the Mrs yesterday - but now all ok - after a nice meal/flowers/wine. ******** flowers, got Lily pollen on my best crisp white shirt. Then changed and got stilton sauce on fresh shirt!!!
Still my 685's are now allowed out.
Thanks for those who tried to help me out - Watch out neighbours - Metallica's about to come on in 25 min - HAHA!!!!

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:I also have one CD which has a counterpart CD designed to be played at exactly the same time as the regular CD (Still following me? :)) on a different system, but it's more a case of SFX and soundscapes which complement the music on the 'original' CD....... Those whacky 'Neurosis' boys

Never heard of anyone doing that - any good?

A

Anonymous

my hi-fi retailer made a switch that is on the back of my sub,held in place with velcro,mini connectors made with Chord Crimson,just flick the switch for either music or AV.
the presets are also used as follows.
1. music
2. general movies
3.The Matrix.

works a treat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts