Sub with EB Acoustics speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have just purchased a pair of EB Acoustics EB1 speakers and drive them with a NAD C326BBE amplifier.

I use two Technics 1210 and an Urei 1620 mixer to listen to my vinyl. I find the sound very clear but very thin

sounding! Before buying the NAD amp and mu EB1 speakers I was considering buying a pair of KRK RP8

Active studio monitors. I know they would have a lot more bass and punch and they have built in amps.

Having spent all this money on an amp though and bought the EB1 speakers what can I do? Will a good sub

help or should i just stay off bookshelf speakers full stop? My room is 4x4 meters and shouldn't need something

very beefy but with just the EB1s the bass is gone...

Can someone please help!!!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The EB1's are rated at only 55hz so it's not surprising you're not getting any bass. Adding a sub like the BK XLS200 (£300) and connecting it via the hi level connection to the speaker terminals on your amp would obviously give you bass below the 55hz rating of the EB1's. Although if you're now considering spending more on a sub, it may have been a better option to have spent £800 on a pair of floorstanders with better bass in the first place, e.g. Monitor Audio RX6's (£750) would give a detailed sound but are rated at 38hz.

My Proacs cost me £800 secondhand and they're rated at 24hz, however I've noticed a big improvement using my sub in conjunction with them for stereo music. I'm getting bass that is not that much deeper than the Proacs can muster, but it's a cleaner bass. The difference being that I already need a sub for my home cinema setup.

A

Anonymous

I am now considering buying a pair of B&W 684 floorstanders instead (will go and have a listen first this time). My worry now is that my amp NAD326BEE wont do the job but lets hear. Thanks for you reply.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I run standmounts and a sub and prefer it to floorstanders. You've got a degree of control you just don't get with floorstanders. You can alter position, crossover and level to attain the exact sound you're after.

A

Anonymous

I listen a lot to jazz but also lots of bass driven 4/4 music like deep disco, fusion etc. I need the sound to be tight and clear in the bass. I would love to keep the EB1's but I am not sure if a complementary sub would give that punch that I need. Any comments?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Boosta:

I listen a lot to jazz but also lots of bass driven 4/4 music like deep disco, fusion etc. I need the sound to be tight and clear in the bass. I would love to keep the EB1's but I am not sure if a complementary sub would give that punch that I need. Any comments?

Subs go deeper and have a cleaner bass, but there may be problems with fast paced music, i.e. what you'll be listening to. My money would be with the Monitor Audio RX6's rather than a sub or B&W's. I think you need to get a demo taking your speakers in and trying them with a sub + hi level connection, plus the MA's & B&W's on there own.

TRENDING THREADS