Sub placement for stereo listening

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i have mine set between 20 and 50hz - no probs with intergration at all - i wasn't after loud bass just a full sound so its not turned too loud just there to fill in the low end.

i'm just trying to decide on where i prefer the phase setting 180 def cancells everything out but there is a little play towards zero was wondering if this is cause the sub is slightly closer than the speakers or whether i'm just imagening it - ne ideas?

A

Anonymous

See if you can get the other half to tweak the sub settings while you sit eyes closed and listen. OK, stupid idea.

I believe REL suggest using the high level because it takes an 'audio signature' straight from the signal being sent to the speakers. I'm beginning to think it can't make any difference which you use all things being equal. If there was a timing advantage with the high level then how on earth would a bi-amped system work?

I think I should just go for the Spendor A6s and be done with it
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I used the sound meter to test volume variation at different phase angles. Like you I found 180 a definite no no. I did find that the phase was best a zero most of the time. I say most of the time because I found that the optimum phase varied a very small amount with frequency changes. Having spoken to someone today I think this may be due to delay caused by speakers positioning, room dynamics and a myriad of things beyond my understanding and comprehension.

The meter readings showed the phase movement with frequency change was quite small, so I would advise sticking it at zero in your case and forgetting about it.

TRENDING THREADS