Question sub out to amp for a pre-amp / streamer function

AJM1981

Ok, a question about a temporary setup here, that needs some explanation. Otherwise people might think I have no clue,while the idea is a little different. :)

Recenlty I picked up a cheap but incredibly well preserved 70s Pioneer amp for fun, which can be found in a dedicated topic here. I am planning to slightly improve it and perhaps sell it again or maybe keep it, depending on its role.

Currently I have hooked up my Yamaha wxa 50 amp to the aux in and now the amp "kind of" functions like a pre amp in its streamer mode via aux out with the Pioneer driving the Wharfedale evo 4.2. This all went really well.

I like the sound of the Pioneer a lot. But I prefer my Yamaha as an amp in the living as it has some modern functions in control and this "tubes" sound signature that I see as a little plus. So it was only for the purpose of testing it well with bigger 8 ohm speakers which succeeded beyond expectations for an amp this old. .

The first time I tested the Pioneer I did this upstairs with my Diamond 11. 2 set and was impressed as it really had a great harmony together delivering a little more open soundstage compared to my Arylic A50+ streamer / amp.

For a more useful temporary setup I would like to degrade the A50+ to a pre amp / streamer only function like I did with the Yamahs smp as it is my hub for modern connections like optical, wifi and bluetooth.

The challenge is.. the previous model a50 seemed to have aux out but the A50+ has a sub out at that same place. It is the only option besides maybe a complicated way of doing something to reverse the direction of the optical connection and a dongle or leave it all together.

Since I remember that on older amps the rca output could go to the sub with the sub being mono.

Given the sub out channel is rca and splits in 2 channels I wonder if I can use that one for connecting it to the aux in of the Pioneer amp. Besides discovering that it would be only mono perhaps, is there any other chance of a trap?

AJM1981

arylic-a50-3_1920x1920.jpg

Tinman1952

I looked at the A50+ manual and there is no mention of a low pass filter on the sub output so I assume you would get a full frequency output at line level but it would be mono.... not very satisfactory really! I don't think you can use the A50+ usefully as a streamer into the Pioneer.

Reactions: AJM1981 and Gray

AJM1981

I looked at the A50+ manual and there is no mention of a low pass filter on the sub output so I assume you would get a full frequency output at line level but it would be mono.... not very satisfactory really! I don't think you can use the A50+ usefully as a streamer into the Pioneer.

thanks for the check. Probably no luck with accidental stereo here :)

The older model A50 without sub out but with aux out would have been better for this purpose, but.. it is what it is :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts