STUFF/Panasonic Blocking Pop-Up

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
What's with this recent full screen pop-up? It repeatedly blocks you from the seeing the content you came on the site for.

Does anyone think this is a positve thing to keep happening to visitors? For me, at least, the last thing I am going to do is want to have anything to do with whatever such a persistant nuisance is trying to promote.

|(

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Click it once and it shouldn't appear again. The ad allows you to customise the feeds you see in the box on the Homepage, but having done it once I haven't been served it since.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
Click it once and it shouldn't appear again. The ad allows you to customise the feeds you see in the box on the Homepage, but having done it once I haven't been served it since.

Thanks for the reply Andy.

However this thing keeps coming up, I suppose because I deselect it with the -X- button in the corner. I have an aversion to going into something because it is the only way of keeping something at bay. This morning it came up 5 times in a row blocking me from initial viewing and replying on the forum. Entirely counter-productive.

DrMadvibe

May 18, 2011
Visit site
That popup is intensely annoying. It pops up on almost every and even when altering a filter. I've clicked the cross, tried chosing one/several options but it makes no difference. This is a very bad user experience. I build websites and I would never inflict this on my users.

DrMadvibe

May 18, 2011
Visit site
In the right hand column on many pages you can see a 'Stuff Promotion' prompting you to choose from 8 boxes and keep 'everything in one place'.

This ad also pops up in front of you on a great many pages obscuring the page until you close it. It even reappears if you use a filter on the same page e.g. reviews. Plus, even when I did try to select a box, nothing seemed to happen anyway.

Having said that, it's calmed down a bit now.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to update. The pop-up has disappeared now. I use Chrome, BB, but don't understand how some haven't seen it at all. But then I dont understand computers anyway.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you're seeing the ad repeatedly it may be because you have your cookies disabled. Otherwise you should only see it once at the start of each user session.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I guess there'll never be a time when we'll see the major browsers equipped with a really good ad-blocker as standard. I use AdBlock for Safari and it works great. I suppose a built-in ad-blocker would be as frowned-upon as Akai's video recorder from the late 80s that removed adverts during recording, which if I recall correctly was banned from sale in the UK.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Andy Clough said:
If you're seeing the ad repeatedly it may be because you have your cookies disabled. Otherwise you should only see it once at the start of each user session.

I have cookies enabled but not for third party cookies because I do not see why, who knows who should put cookies on my computer if I have not gone to their site by choice. When I first disabled third party cookies, What Hifi was the only site I visit that wouldn't work properly although that cleared up after a day or so.

The site does seem t be working much faster now. Have you managed to get rid of all that spam?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts